Backup on CD-RW

Post by pete wolf » Sat, 18 May 2002 01:13:26

Attempts to back up my W98 files and also programs using
the Backup utility were not successful.My HP CD writer
manual does not mention backup as a feature. Is there a MS
or third party program for this? Any help will be
appreciated.

Backup on CD-RW

Post by Nutcas » Sat, 18 May 2002 09:08:59

Hi Pete,

Msbackup is not designed for CDRW units - it will write a file to one disk, but will not span them. It is also wise to backup your data files and the installers for your software. Backing up individual program folders is useless unless you are imaging the entire drive. You will also not be able to backup files that are "in use", IE: the Windows system files.

MS doesn't have any CD burning software in Win98, you need to look at third party programs. This site reviews most of hte popular software available and has a wealth of knowledge for CDRW owners:

www.cdrfaq.org

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers aka "Nutcase" MS-MVP - Win9x
Associate Expert - Windows XP
Please reply only to newsgroup...

> Attempts to back up my W98 files and also programs using
> the Backup utility were not successful.My HP CD writer
> manual does not mention backup as a feature. Is there a MS
> or third party program for this? Any help will be
> appreciated.

Backup on CD-RW

Post by kalic » Sat, 18 May 2002 10:32:49

FWIW, I do my b-ups on a CD-R/RW drive, using Adaptec
DirectCD. DirectCD makes the CD writeable, and the CD is
available through drive letter access (drive E: in my
case) so it works just like backing up onto a disk....as
long as you don't have more data than the CD can hold!

Add to that a caveat, I do seem to be having trouble
restoring data. However, I really don't think it's the
fault of the CD, but rather something else. The restore
executes just fine, and reads the disk just fine. I'm
having other problems (see my other post a few minutes
ago).

:)

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Attempts to back up my W98 files and also programs using
>the Backup utility were not successful.My HP CD writer
>manual does not mention backup as a feature. Is there a
MS
>or third party program for this? Any help will be
>appreciated.
>.

1. Backup to CD-RW w/W2K Backup Utility?

Does anybody know if it is possible to do a system backup
to a CD-RW on a Windows 2000 Professional system?  I try
to do a backup for this stand alone PC but it appears to
on work for tape.  I know it's probably something simple
or I'm just ignorant but any advice would be greatly
appreciated.
Thank you
jdd

2. Router/ADSL Question

3. Backup to CD-R, CD-RW or DVD recordable variants ......

4. Fwd: Encoding problem (JDBC, mysql)

5. Recommended CD-RW Backup Software for W2K?

6. Fujitsu 2624 and jumper settings

7. Backup - Do Not Have Access to CD-RW Drive

8. Help stop Microsoft hegemony

9. Backup - Do Not Have Access to CD-RW

10. MS Back-Up Cannot see CD-RW (D:)

11. Backup program for CDR/CD-RW???