Paint won't 'save as' jpeg

Post by Beryl Lerne » Mon, 14 Jan 2002 01:31:48

Hi Wendy,
Checked the paint program on my machine and I can't save as anything except
*BMP. Perhaps you had another program that had a plugin that associated
itself with Paint.

Any way the following site has a great image viewer and will also allow you
to convert images.This program even plays MP3s, MIDI, MOV files, etc.

http://www.veryComputer.com/

Beryl

Quote:> Hi, I had to nuke my puter and reload using the recovery disk  (IBM). I
> opened paint to shrink a large jpeg pic and I wanted to resave as a jpeg
but
> the choice wasn't there. It was only for bmp images. I use to have the
jpeg,
> jpg etc choice before the nuke.

> BTW, if you want to know why I had to nuke the puter, I installed IE6 over
> 5.5 and everything went awry. I had problems booting up. When it got to
the
> desktop and everything was loaded, it would freeze then restart itself. It
> would do a scan disk because "I" didn't shut down properly, and stop at
85%.
> I played around with it in Safe Mode and found that my System.INI had
> disappeared (?). So I nuked it and started fresh. Puter goes better now -
> got rid of a lot of *that was on it. I have come across a lot of
little
> annoyances and have been able to fix them, but I don't know what to do
about
> the above problem.
> Any advice on this one would be appreciated.
> TIA Wendy

Paint won't 'save as' jpeg

Post by Alan Edward » Mon, 14 Jan 2002 04:46:17

Beryl is right. Paint does not open anything but bitmaps unless some
application like Office or similar has been installed to supply the
necessary filters to allow jpeg, gif etc. to be used.

...Alan
--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems

Quote:>Hi, I had to nuke my puter and reload using the recovery disk  (IBM). I
>opened paint to shrink a large jpeg pic and I wanted to resave as a jpeg but
>the choice wasn't there. It was only for bmp images. I use to have the jpeg,
>jpg etc choice before the nuke.

Paint won't 'save as' jpeg

Post by Ron Badou » Mon, 14 Jan 2002 10:00:20

Get this freebie viewer to work with your graphic files:  Irfanview:
http://www.veryComputer.com/

--
Regards

Ron Badour, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
Tips:  http://www.veryComputer.com/
Knowledge Base Info:
http://www.veryComputer.com/

Quote:> Hi, I had to nuke my puter and reload using the recovery disk  (IBM).
> opened paint to shrink a large jpeg pic and I wanted to resave as a
jpeg but
> the choice wasn't there. It was only for bmp images. I use to have the
jpeg,
> jpg etc choice before the nuke.

> BTW, if you want to know why I had to nuke the puter, I installed IE6
over
> 5.5 and everything went awry. I had problems booting up. When it got
to the
> desktop and everything was loaded, it would freeze then restart
itself. It
> would do a scan disk because "I" didn't shut down properly, and stop
at 85%.
> I played around with it in Safe Mode and found that my System.INI had
> disappeared (?). So I nuked it and started fresh. Puter goes better
now - I
> got rid of a lot of *that was on it. I have come across a lot of
little
> annoyances and have been able to fix them, but I don't know what to do
about
> the above problem.
> Any advice on this one would be appreciated.
> TIA Wendy

Paint won't 'save as' jpeg

Post by Rock » Mon, 14 Jan 2002 10:13:01

Try doing a "show all files" and then opening the jpg
file.  My paint doesn't show jpg as an option,  but loads
the file fine.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Beryl is right. Paint does not open anything but bitmaps
unless some
>application like Office or similar has been installed to
supply the
>necessary filters to allow jpeg, gif etc. to be used.

>....Alan
>--
>Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems

>In microsoft.public.win98.apps, "Wendy M"

>>Hi, I had to nuke my puter and reload using the recovery
disk  (IBM). I
>>opened paint to shrink a large jpeg pic and I wanted to

resave as a jpeg but
Quote:>>the choice wasn't there. It was only for bmp images. I

use to have the jpeg,
Quote:>>jpg etc choice before the nuke.

>.

1. Paint won't let me save as JPEG

When I do a Paste (from the clipboard) and want to save it, Paint only let
me choose from bitmap formats, and no JPEG options. I've just installed
Win98SE  and I could save as JPEG in Paint in Win98SE before I formatted my
harddrive and reinstalled Win98sE

2. Coding Browser history to add xml pages

3. Paint won't let me save as JPEG format

4. dow loop?

5. Can't save jpegs in MS Paint

6. FS LX 4/30FGX-32-P43

7. Can't save as JPEG from Paint (application) any more

8. DNS Problems

9. Paint - loss of 'save as .jpg'

10. Can't save JPEGS as .jpg's

11. SAVE AS alpha-sort won't 'stick'...

12. Paint won't save drawings

13. Win NT to Win 2k -- 'upgrade' or 'new install'?