Problem: File Explorer Hangs for 30 Seconds when Deleting/Renaming Dirs

Problem: File Explorer Hangs for 30 Seconds when Deleting/Renaming Dirs

Post by Mandy VanHor » Sat, 02 Sep 2000 00:04:14

Okay, can someone help me out on this?  I'm going nutz.  Running
Windows98, the file explorer will freeze up (no screen piants,
nothing) for 30 seconds when any of the following are attempted:

- Renaming a Directory
- Deleting a Directory
- Aborting a Directory Delete (Starting to Delete a Directory,
      but simply answering 'no' at the 'Confirm Folder Delete'
      popup).
- ?and when emptying the recycle bin (delay is after the
      'scrunching' sound is played).

I have a suspicion that this problem has something to do to do with
the Recycle bin.

It does not hang when a folder is moved from one place to another.

No other programs running.
All drives have been scandisk'd and appear to be clean.
All drives have been de-fragged.

I'm cluefully challenged at this point.... anyone got one?

THANKS !!

Problem: File Explorer Hangs for 30 Seconds when Deleting/Renaming Dirs

Post by Tess » Mon, 04 Sep 2000 21:01:32

Mandy,

I'm not sure what's causing your problem.  Please post back with more
details, such as when the problem started, any changes made to your system
just prior to the occurence, etc.  Run a virus scan if you've not already
done so.

--

Tess
MS-MVP

Quote:> Okay, can someone help me out on this?  I'm going nutz.  Running
> Windows98, the file explorer will freeze up (no screen piants,
> nothing) for 30 seconds when any of the following are attempted:

> - Renaming a Directory
> - Deleting a Directory
> - Aborting a Directory Delete (Starting to Delete a Directory,
>       but simply answering 'no' at the 'Confirm Folder Delete'
>       popup).
> - ?and when emptying the recycle bin (delay is after the
>       'scrunching' sound is played).

> I have a suspicion that this problem has something to do to do with
> the Recycle bin.

> It does not hang when a folder is moved from one place to another.

> No other programs running.
> All drives have been scandisk'd and appear to be clean.
> All drives have been de-fragged.

> I'm cluefully challenged at this point.... anyone got one?

> THANKS !!

Problem: File Explorer Hangs for 30 Seconds when Deleting/Renaming Dirs

Post by Erio Michelangelo C » Mon, 04 Sep 2000 22:41:27

    Does that happen to you in the My Documents window?

    It's a still unsloved thread and probably a sort of bug in W98...
becasue that's a system folder so something weird goes on in it (you can do
a search for "slow" or "docs" in this and othert W98 public workgroups).

    Here follows a suggestion:

    Ciao!

    Hello folks,

    you might want to look for similar problems in

    microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion

    and

    microsoft.public.win98.performance,microsoft.public.win98.shell

    The problem is related only to the system folder My documents (or all
system
    folders, but with My Docs is more evident because it's used for user's
    data).

    The only workaround for now is to insert a link in My Docs that
redirects to
    an external folder.

    This is not related to the 32KB limit (or at least, it doesn't seem to
be
    directly related to it)

--
www.thehungersite.com
Help starving people, it's free!

www.therainforestsite.com
Help us & our kids to have healthier air, it's free!

E=MC^2 (Erio "U2 ?!" Michelangelo C.)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ICQ UIN : 4502546

> Mandy,

> I'm not sure what's causing your problem.  Please post back with more
> details, such as when the problem started, any changes made to your system
> just prior to the occurence, etc.  Run a virus scan if you've not already
> done so.

> --

> Tess
> MS-MVP
> http://home.kscable.com/tmg
> *************************************

> > Okay, can someone help me out on this?  I'm going nutz.  Running
> > Windows98, the file explorer will freeze up (no screen piants,
> > nothing) for 30 seconds when any of the following are attempted:

> > - Renaming a Directory
> > - Deleting a Directory
> > - Aborting a Directory Delete (Starting to Delete a Directory,
> >       but simply answering 'no' at the 'Confirm Folder Delete'
> >       popup).
> > - ?and when emptying the recycle bin (delay is after the
> >       'scrunching' sound is played).

> > I have a suspicion that this problem has something to do to do with
> > the Recycle bin.

> > It does not hang when a folder is moved from one place to another.

> > No other programs running.
> > All drives have been scandisk'd and appear to be clean.
> > All drives have been de-fragged.

> > I'm cluefully challenged at this point.... anyone got one?

> > THANKS !!

1. Problem with System 'Hanging' for 20-30 seconds.

I've got a system with 2 x IDE HD's on the primary IDE channel and a CD rom
& DVD drive on the 2ndary. Fast PIII cpu, loads of memory etc.

Win 2k Professional seems fine and speedy on my system but every couple of
minutes, 'freezes' for 20-30 seconds, during which time the HDD light is on
constantly. If I just wait, the system continues fine. I've tried dropping
the IDE controller to PIO mode 4 on all four devices with no effect.

It's a ABIT BH6 mobo by the way....

Anybody got any thoughts ?

2. Need Assistance

3. Takes 30 secs to a minute to delete files in Windows Explorer

4. FS 98 - RMI gauge

5. Windows Explorer hangs when renaming & deleting file

6. Yes...how to do text in 3-D?

7. IE/OE Hangs for 30 seconds

8. W2K After Booting Up Appears to hang for 30-40 seconds

9. 35 second hang when deleting files w/ Explorer

10. 30 second lockup in explorer when other computer on network off

11. Renaming/deleting folders hang Explorer for a minute

12. File share failover takes 30 seconds?