Deleting addresses on the OE Address Toolbar on Win98 Desktop Taskbar

Deleting addresses on the OE Address Toolbar on Win98 Desktop Taskbar

Post by Mark Hube » Thu, 11 Jul 2002 01:05:26

I want to delete addresses (pathways to folders and/or web
URLs)which I have added to the Address Toolbar which is
located on the Windows Desktop Taskbar. This is NOT
the "favorites" listing.

Using "Toolbar and Taskbar" in an MS KnowledgeBase search
does identify several Q###### files but no clear help with
deleting the addresses.

www.tomsterdam.com/insideOE/tips/explorerbars.htm also has
more explanation. Apparently Outlok Express (4.0) installs
the Quick Launch Toolbar (on the Windows Taskbar). If you
right click in the blank area of the Taskbar you get a
menu of choices. One is a Toolbars menu (>> includes
Links, Address, Desktop and Quick Launch).

Click on Address and you have a new toolbar. You can
insert any local pathway or internet URL and therefore
have easy access on the desktop. It is NOT the "favorites"
listing of URLs.

To add addresses the following methods work;
1. writing in a new address (C:\....), and;
2. cutting & pasting a new address from the address text
box in WIN explorer or Internet Explorer.

To delete I have tried the following (which do not work);
1. Rgt click Delete key or Backspace key (this deletes the
visible address but when you return to the full dropdown
list the address remains;
2. Change a listed address in the entry textbox. (same
result but now you have this new address as well)

I can't find the Addresses or the Address Toolbar in the
Registry or the Harddrive. Any ideas will be appreciated.

Quote:><<<<<MLH

Post by Richar » Thu, 11 Jul 2002 21:11:54

> I want to delete addresses (pathways to folders and/or web
> URLs)which I have added to the Address Toolbar which is
> located on the Windows Desktop Taskbar. This is NOT
> the "favorites" listing.

> I can't find the Addresses or the Address Toolbar in the
> Registry or the Harddrive. Any ideas will be appreciated.

Hi Mark

If I understand correctly, go to this registry key to see your addresses:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\TypedURLs

I delete the whole key. It comes up empty after a restart, ready for more
* URLs.<bg>

Post by Mark Hube » Fri, 12 Jul 2002 01:20:08

> [...]

Quote:>* URLs.<bg>

Thanks for the help.  Note that the urls in this desktop
address bar are NOT THE SAME as the URLs in the Internet
Explorer address bar (see below).  But, this gave me the
simple idea of trying to do a find in the registry for
these unique links. And PRESTO! Got it!

The location is:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
\Explorer\RunMRU

Now the question is can I just "delete" one or more of
these urls using the Edit dropdown menu in the registry?
Never did this before.....

Below:
Right Click on the desktop taskbar. Follow the menu to the
toolbars and then click address. A new Address toolbar
appears in the desktop taskbar. This should be completely
empty if this is the first time you opened it. Then type a
few links or cut/paste a few links to your folders (from
the Windows explorer text entry space). The idea is
supposely to give easy access to pathways to files you
rarely work on (and so forget exactly where they are
deeeeep inside the harddrive)

I look forward to your help...
MLH

Deleting addresses on the OE Address Toolbar on Win98 Desktop Taskbar

Post by Will_O_the_Wis » Fri, 12 Jul 2002 03:42:24

The Internet Options (advanced tab) applet in control panel or TWEAKUI (under the Paranoia tab) will allow you to empty your MRU's each time the browser is closed.

> [...]

Post by PCR » Sun, 14 Jul 2002 08:43:27

If you don't like Autocomplete either, there's:
"Control Panel, Internet Options, Content tab, Autocomplete button".

--
Thanks & Good Luck,
PCR

1. Address toolbar will not open address and Outlook does not open urls in e-mail

I have run into this problem where I enter a url into the address toolbar
and when I hit return, nothing will occur. Does anyone have a solution? I am
run Windows 2000 Pro with I.E. 5.5 and Service Pack 1 for Win2k.

I also have the problem in Outlook 2000 where the URL links no longer work.
If I try to click the url, the cursor is moved to the middle of the link but
not page is opened. Anyone have a clue how to fix?

Thanks,
Kayo Granillo

2. Versatec WEB Site

3. Adding a large number of email addresses to the OE Address Book?

4. Y2K is A Piece Of Cake When Bankruptcy is An Option

5. FTP (used in Address toolbar of taskbar) hangs explorer.exe

6. MPW and Oracle Question

7. Address Toolbar on Taskbar No Longer Functional

8. ??? Can a dos-box-app install a RING0-IRQ-handler ???

9. Deleting the taskbar Address cache!

10. how to find IP address of a certian MAC address

11. How to retrieve the IP address and Mac Address from my Router

12. Address Toolbar missing

13. DNS resolving to external address instead of internal address