IIS equivilent for Win98

Post by Ken » Sat, 05 May 2001 05:49:52

Hi. Can someone tell me how I can easily turn my Win98 machine into a web
server? I know NT has the option pack but PWS will not work on 98 I
understand.

Thanks,
Ken Trock

IIS equivilent for Win98

Post by Ray Wald » Sat, 05 May 2001 08:25:07

PWS *DOES* work on Win98. Check on the news group:

    microsoft.public.win98.pws_4 and they can help you.

ray

Quote:> Hi. Can someone tell me how I can easily turn my Win98 machine into a web
> server? I know NT has the option pack but PWS will not work on 98 I
> understand.

> Thanks,
> Ken Trock

IIS equivilent for Win98

Post by Aram Iskenderia » Sat, 05 May 2001 10:19:40

>Hi. Can someone tell me how I can easily turn my Win98 machine into a web
>server? I know NT has the option pack but PWS will not work on 98 I
>understand.

If you are looking for performance, then Windows 98 is not the option
anyway.

But if you have no other choice, I would recommend Apache, and you can
grab couple of utilities that help configuring it, if you don't want to
edit the configuration files manually.

Download the Windows binaries from http://www.apache.org

And then  Toolkit for Apache Web Server from.
http://www.innerdive.com/downloads/taws_free.zip

You can even install Perl and PHP for Windows, and there is an early
alpha ASP module for Apache on Windows.

I wouldn't recommend PWS unless if you need Front Page extensions and
you are not worried about performance/security.

Good luck.

IIS equivilent for Win98

Post by Ken » Wed, 09 May 2001 01:18:55

Thanks Ray. Didn't realize there would be such a specific newsgroup :)

Ken Trock

> PWS *DOES* work on Win98. Check on the news group:

>     microsoft.public.win98.pws_4 and they can help you.

> ray

> > Hi. Can someone tell me how I can easily turn my Win98 machine into a
web
> > server? I know NT has the option pack but PWS will not work on 98 I
> > understand.

> > Thanks,
> > Ken Trock

IIS equivilent for Win98

Post by Ken » Wed, 09 May 2001 01:20:06

Aram, you may be right but we're an MS shop, so PWS it is.

Thanks,
Ken Trock

> >Hi. Can someone tell me how I can easily turn my Win98 machine into a web
> >server? I know NT has the option pack but PWS will not work on 98 I
> >understand.

> If you are looking for performance, then Windows 98 is not the option
> anyway.

> But if you have no other choice, I would recommend Apache, and you can
> grab couple of utilities that help configuring it, if you don't want to
> edit the configuration files manually.

> Download the Windows binaries from http://www.apache.org

> And then  Toolkit for Apache Web Server from.
> http://www.innerdive.com/downloads/taws_free.zip

> You can even install Perl and PHP for Windows, and there is an early
> alpha ASP module for Apache on Windows.

> I wouldn't recommend PWS unless if you need Front Page extensions and
> you are not worried about performance/security.

> Good luck.

1. SUBINACL or Equivilent

Good Afternoon (EDT),
   I'm in a bit of a pickle. I need a command line utility
that takes ownership of all files and folders in a
directory tree. SUBINACL from the Resource Kit seems to do
that, but the /subdirectories switch doesn't seem to work
past a few levels of subdirectories. Is anyone else seeing
this? Is there a way to have it drill down through the
whole tree? Are there other utilities I can look at that
perform the same function? Anything feedback is greatly
appreciated.

TIA,
Wakefreak

2. MASTER BOOT RECORD

3. w2k Scanreg /fix equivilent?

4. RegularExpressionValidator Help

5. What is the equivilent to msconfig in win2000 ?

6. 932c and duplexer with XP

7. What is the Win 2K equivilent to msconfig.exe?

8. Basic VINO question

9. SLEEP equivilent in w2k server?

10. What is the equivilent to msconfig in win2000 ?

11. IIS giving sc-win32-status 64 via Win98 VPN client

12. Win98/2000, ICS and IIS