A problem with my second hard drive: Two drive letters, one single hard drive

A problem with my second hard drive: Two drive letters, one single hard drive

Post by S. Tonekha » Wed, 29 Jan 2003 01:34:55



A few months ago, I had experienced problems with my second hard drive that
was installed on my Windows 98SE machine. It has an AMD K6-1 processor at
233MHZ, 64 MB SDRAM, 4GB Hard Drive (my first drive), 2.5GB Hard Drive (my
second drive), 4X CD-ROM drive (i know it's old, but i'm planning to upgrade
it in the near future) and a 2x write/2x re-write/6x read CD burner. The
problem is something with my secondary drive, my 2.5GB Hard Drive. I've
first bought that drive at a Computer show on November 2002. It was working
fine when I installed it in properly and sucessfully. When I found out when
I decide to do a clean installation of my operating system on my C: Drive,
there's something that I should tell you that will shock you. I've rebooted
my computer, put the startup disk (customized with FDISK and DELPART)  in my
floppy drive. Start the installation from the CD-ROM and used the Delpart
utility to remove the partitions on my computer. I've removed the C:
Partition off my computer. Without knowing, I accidently removed the other
partition (which is my second hard drive) off my computer intentionnally
without noticing. This, in my prediction, caused the second hard drive to
assign another letter and thus move the drive designation letters up one
letter. The other day, I've completely did a clean installation of my
Windows installation. But I discovered that the secondary drive (which is my
2.5GB Hard Drive) has anothe letter assigned on it's own drive. It assigned
a E: drive and it has the exact duplicate of my drive. This does not contain
other operating system or a previous version of Windows (even with a few
tries), just only the downloads and other files.

Here's how it goes:

As shown (predicted) after the Clean installation of Windows 98SE:

3 1/2 floppy
C: Hard Drive
D: Hard Drive }
E: Hard Drive  } both in one secondary drive
F: CD-ROM
G: CD- Burner

Should be like this:

C: Hard Drive
D: Hard Drive
E: CD-ROM
F: CD-Burner

I believe that the E: is a virtual drive on my secondary drive in my
prediction, so I don't know how this is caused in my computer. It occured
maybe before the new year.

So, do you know what caused the drive letters to add in to my secondary
drive and change my other drive letter designations to go up one letter? How
do I remove it ? Should reconfigure the IDE jumpers and use a partitioning
program like FDISK and DELPART? I don't feel like putting that secondary
hard drive on my other computer because it will be the same as the Windows
98SE computer. Or even in worse cases, throw the drive away?

If you have any questions comments or suggestions to my computer problem,
please do not hesistate to do so. Thanks.

 
 
 

A problem with my second hard drive: Two drive letters, one single hard drive

Post by Bill Blanto » Wed, 29 Jan 2003 02:36:13



> The other day, I've completely did a clean installation of my
> Windows installation. But I discovered that the secondary drive (which is my
> 2.5GB Hard Drive) has anothe letter assigned on it's own drive. It assigned
> a E: drive and it has the exact duplicate of my drive.
> Here's how it goes:

> As shown (predicted) after the Clean installation of Windows 98SE:

> 3 1/2 floppy
> C: Hard Drive
> D: Hard Drive }
> E: Hard Drive  } both in one secondary drive
> F: CD-ROM
> G: CD- Burner

> Should be like this:

> C: Hard Drive
> D: Hard Drive
> E: CD-ROM
> F: CD-Burner

> I believe that the E: is a virtual drive on my secondary drive in my
> prediction, so I don't know how this is caused in my computer.

How does fdisk report the partitions? Run from a DOS prompt-
fdisk  /status
Copy and paste the output.

 
 
 

A problem with my second hard drive: Two drive letters, one single hard drive

Post by S. Tonekha » Wed, 29 Jan 2003 03:49:04


How should I do that? Should I do that with my second drive? Also, I don't
have any extra power cables to plug in my hard drive. So I might have to buy
a "Y" cable for power supplies.


Quote:

> How does fdisk report the partitions? Run from a DOS prompt-
> fdisk  /status
> Copy and paste the output.

 
 
 

A problem with my second hard drive: Two drive letters, one single hard drive

Post by Bill Blanto » Wed, 29 Jan 2003 04:18:42


From your previous post, I assumed both drives are already hooked
up and being recognized. StartButton - Run... - (type) COMMAND - (then
type at the DOS-prompt) FDISK  /STATUS.

> How should I do that? Should I do that with my second drive? Also, I don't
> have any extra power cables to plug in my hard drive. So I might have to buy
> a "Y" cable for power supplies.



> > How does fdisk report the partitions? Run from a DOS prompt-
> > fdisk  /status
> > Copy and paste the output.

 
 
 

A problem with my second hard drive: Two drive letters, one single hard drive

Post by S. Tonekha » Wed, 29 Jan 2003 05:51:07



Quote:> From your previous post, I assumed both drives are already hooked
> up and being recognized. StartButton - Run... - (type) COMMAND - (then
> type at the DOS-prompt) FDISK  /STATUS.

Here's how it listed:

Disk            Mbyes        Free        Ususage
1                5005                            100%
           C:    5005

2                2441                            100%
            D:   2441

But it didn't show me the statuses for E: and F:. Is there a problem?

 
 
 

A problem with my second hard drive: Two drive letters, one single hard drive

Post by Bill Blanto » Wed, 29 Jan 2003 06:11:54





> > From your previous post, I assumed both drives are already hooked
> > up and being recognized. StartButton - Run... - (type) COMMAND - (then
> > type at the DOS-prompt) FDISK  /STATUS.

> Here's how it listed:

> Disk            Mbyes        Free        Ususage
> 1                5005                            100%
>            C:    5005

> 2                2441                            100%
>             D:   2441

> But it didn't show me the statuses for E: and F:. Is there a problem?

No that looks good. Fdisk only reports on fixed disk. Boot to safe mode
and remove the drives and drive controllers from within device manager.
Reboot and let windows re-detect the drives.
 
 
 

A problem with my second hard drive: Two drive letters, one single hard drive

Post by S. Tonekha » Wed, 29 Jan 2003 08:19:19


Which drive should I remove? My Primary Drive or My Secondary Drive? or
both? How do I remove the drives and drive controllers for the device
manager? What drive controller should I remove?


 >

Quote:> > But it didn't show me the statuses for E: and F:. Is there a problem?

> No that looks good. Fdisk only reports on fixed disk. Boot to safe mode
> and remove the drives and drive controllers from within device manager.
> Reboot and let windows re-detect the drives.

 
 
 

A problem with my second hard drive: Two drive letters, one single hard drive

Post by Bill Blanto » Wed, 29 Jan 2003 10:42:43


Forget the controllers for the time being. Just remove the drives.

-Boot into safe-mode by pressing and holding the ctrl key after the BIOS POST beep
-Choose "Safe-mode"
-Right click "My computer" > properties
-Expand "+ Disk Drives"
-Remove both "IDE disks"
-reboot.

Windows should re-detect and re-enumerate the drive letters. If for
any reason there is a problem, boot to the startup menu again as
outlined above and choose "command prompt". At the prompt type
SCANREG  /RESTORE
Choose the latest registry backup (probably today's date)
Then reboot again (ctrl-alt-delete)


> Which drive should I remove? My Primary Drive or My Secondary Drive? or
> both? How do I remove the drives and drive controllers for the device
> manager? What drive controller should I remove?



> > > But it didn't show me the statuses for E: and F:. Is there a problem?

> > No that looks good. Fdisk only reports on fixed disk. Boot to safe mode
> > and remove the drives and drive controllers from within device manager.
> > Reboot and let windows re-detect the drives.

 
 
 

A problem with my second hard drive: Two drive letters, one single hard drive

Post by S. Tonekha » Wed, 29 Jan 2003 13:30:07


Do I need to backup the registry first or it does that automatically when I
boot up the computer (before that occurs)?


Quote:> Forget the controllers for the time being. Just remove the drives.

> -Boot into safe-mode by pressing and holding the ctrl key after the BIOS
POST beep
> -Choose "Safe-mode"
> -Right click "My computer" > properties
> -Expand "+ Disk Drives"
> -Remove both "IDE disks"
> -reboot.

> Windows should re-detect and re-enumerate the drive letters. If for
> any reason there is a problem, boot to the startup menu again as
> outlined above and choose "command prompt". At the prompt type
> SCANREG  /RESTORE
> Choose the latest registry backup (probably today's date)
> Then reboot again (ctrl-alt-delete)

 
 
 

A problem with my second hard drive: Two drive letters, one single hard drive

Post by PCR » Wed, 29 Jan 2003 15:15:44


Normally the Registry automatically backs up on the first boot of each day. "START, Find, RB???.cab". Do you see one with the date of your last boot? Then, you are fine.

--
Thanks & Good Luck,
PCR

| Do I need to backup the registry first or it does that automatically when I
| boot up the computer (before that occurs)?
|
|


| > Forget the controllers for the time being. Just remove the drives.
| >
| > -Boot into safe-mode by pressing and holding the ctrl key after the BIOS
| POST beep
| > -Choose "Safe-mode"
| > -Right click "My computer" > properties
| > -Expand "+ Disk Drives"
| > -Remove both "IDE disks"
| > -reboot.
| >
| > Windows should re-detect and re-enumerate the drive letters. If for
| > any reason there is a problem, boot to the startup menu again as
| > outlined above and choose "command prompt". At the prompt type
| > SCANREG  /RESTORE
| > Choose the latest registry backup (probably today's date)
| > Then reboot again (ctrl-alt-delete)
| >
|
|

 
 
 

A problem with my second hard drive: Two drive letters, one single hard drive

Post by S. Tonekha » Wed, 29 Jan 2003 23:14:47


I've did those as you directed,

but it showed me the same problem, the same drives and the same driver
letters.

What should I do now?


Quote:> Forget the controllers for the time being. Just remove the drives.

> -Boot into safe-mode by pressing and holding the ctrl key after the BIOS
POST beep
> -Choose "Safe-mode"
> -Right click "My computer" > properties
> -Expand "+ Disk Drives"
> -Remove both "IDE disks"
> -reboot.

> Windows should re-detect and re-enumerate the drive letters. If for
> any reason there is a problem, boot to the startup menu again as
> outlined above and choose "command prompt". At the prompt type
> SCANREG  /RESTORE
> Choose the latest registry backup (probably today's date)
> Then reboot again (ctrl-alt-delete)

 
 
 

A problem with my second hard drive: Two drive letters, one single hard drive

Post by Bill Blanto » Wed, 29 Jan 2003 23:43:57


Is the drive an exact mirror of the other? Does a file copy or delete reflect
in the other?

Open a DOS window and type
SUBST  E:  /D

Asssuming that E: is a "subst" virtual drive this should remove it for this
windows session. If it does remove it, then look in autoexec.bat and
config.sys for any SUBST commands. (A longshot.. but something that
needs to be ruled out.)


> I've did those as you directed,

> but it showed me the same problem, the same drives and the same driver
> letters.

> What should I do now?



> > Forget the controllers for the time being. Just remove the drives.

> > -Boot into safe-mode by pressing and holding the ctrl key after the BIOS
> POST beep
> > -Choose "Safe-mode"
> > -Right click "My computer" > properties
> > -Expand "+ Disk Drives"
> > -Remove both "IDE disks"
> > -reboot.

> > Windows should re-detect and re-enumerate the drive letters. If for
> > any reason there is a problem, boot to the startup menu again as
> > outlined above and choose "command prompt". At the prompt type
> > SCANREG  /RESTORE
> > Choose the latest registry backup (probably today's date)
> > Then reboot again (ctrl-alt-delete)

 
 
 

A problem with my second hard drive: Two drive letters, one single hard drive

Post by Bill Blanto » Thu, 30 Jan 2003 00:02:23


Also check to see if the phantom drive exists in safe-mode.

> Is the drive an exact mirror of the other? Does a file copy or delete reflect
> in the other?

> Open a DOS window and type
> SUBST  E:  /D

> Asssuming that E: is a "subst" virtual drive this should remove it for this
> windows session. If it does remove it, then look in autoexec.bat and
> config.sys for any SUBST commands. (A longshot.. but something that
> needs to be ruled out.)


> > I've did those as you directed,

> > but it showed me the same problem, the same drives and the same driver
> > letters.

> > What should I do now?



> > > Forget the controllers for the time being. Just remove the drives.

> > > -Boot into safe-mode by pressing and holding the ctrl key after the BIOS
> > POST beep
> > > -Choose "Safe-mode"
> > > -Right click "My computer" > properties
> > > -Expand "+ Disk Drives"
> > > -Remove both "IDE disks"
> > > -reboot.

> > > Windows should re-detect and re-enumerate the drive letters. If for
> > > any reason there is a problem, boot to the startup menu again as
> > > outlined above and choose "command prompt". At the prompt type
> > > SCANREG  /RESTORE
> > > Choose the latest registry backup (probably today's date)
> > > Then reboot again (ctrl-alt-delete)

 
 
 

A problem with my second hard drive: Two drive letters, one single hard drive

Post by S. Tonekha » Thu, 30 Jan 2003 01:03:15


Um, yes it is. But it doesn't reflect or mirror the other drive. It doesn't
copy or delete to the other drive when I copy or delte on the mirrorred
drive.


Quote:> Is the drive an exact mirror of the other? Does a file copy or delete
reflect
> in the other?

> Open a DOS window and type
> SUBST  E:  /D

> Asssuming that E: is a "subst" virtual drive this should remove it for
this
> windows session. If it does remove it, then look in autoexec.bat and
> config.sys for any SUBST commands. (A longshot.. but something that
> needs to be ruled out.)

 
 
 

A problem with my second hard drive: Two drive letters, one single hard drive

Post by S. Tonekha » Thu, 30 Jan 2003 01:09:16


When I do that command, it tells me there is an invalid perimeter on it. It
goes like this:

"Invalid Perimeter - e:"

So what should I do now?


Quote:> Is the drive an exact mirror of the other? Does a file copy or delete
reflect
> in the other?

> Open a DOS window and type
> SUBST  E:  /D

> Asssuming that E: is a "subst" virtual drive this should remove it for
this
> windows session. If it does remove it, then look in autoexec.bat and
> config.sys for any SUBST commands. (A longshot.. but something that
> needs to be ruled out.)

 
 
 

1. two hard drives. Need to boot from second

I have two hard drives.  One 4 gig C: with NTFS and one 30 gig D: with
fat32.

How can I make the larger D: drive my boot drive and do I need to change it
to NTFS?  The C is currently the master and the D is the slave.  C is nearly
full and I'd rather boot from and have the larger D as my default drive.

I'm new to Win2000 and any help would be appreciated.

2. My Cisco resource page

3. Hard Drive Activity LED flashes every two seconds.

4. Newbie seeks advice from the masters !

5. Second IDE Hard Drive, no Drive number set by win2k

6. How to draw an elipse?

7. Format single hard drive that's two.

8. Supplying default variables to a REXXStart script?

9. Two partitions on one hard drive

10. Win 98 on Two Hard Drives-Delete One

11. Copy entire hard drive onto bigger hard drive

12. how to copy hard drive to hard drive

13. Trying to install IDE hard Drive with SCSI hard Drive