Free Upgrade Office '97/2000 question

Post by JK » Mon, 17 May 1999 04:00:00

What is the difference in MS Office '97 Pro in the jewel case and a
retail version of Office Pro?  I was told the later qualified for a
free Office 2000 upgrade but I don't understand the difference as I
have to purchase either one.  Aren't they one in the same thing?

--

Free Upgrade Office '97/2000 question

Post by Richard G. Harpe » Mon, 17 May 1999 04:00:00

No, they're not the same thing - but what you've heard is false anyway.  :-)

http://www.microsoft.com/office/000/order.htm

--

* NOTE * - The address above is not my main mailbox.
EMailed messages may not be replied to.  Please post all messages

> What is the difference in MS Office '97 Pro in the jewel case and a
> retail version of Office Pro?  I was told the later qualified for a
> free Office 2000 upgrade but I don't understand the difference as I
> have to purchase either one.  Aren't they one in the same thing?

> --

Free Upgrade Office '97/2000 question

Post by Len Sega » Mon, 17 May 1999 04:00:00

JK,

Usually (~90+% of the time) the ones sold in "just the jewel case" are
Counterfeits and aren't qualified for anything.

There are different rules for upgrades of OEM (which come with NEW systems
only) Office 97 (shrink wrapped with CD, manual, Certificate of
Authenticity, and numerous anti-piracy features to help distinguish it from
the Counterfeits). The OEM version must come with a special upgrade
certificate (MS charges MS Authorized OEM Dealers more for the version with
the upgrade certificate).

--
Regards,
Len Segal, MCP

> What is the difference in MS Office '97 Pro in the jewel case and a
> retail version of Office Pro?  I was told the later qualified for a
> free Office 2000 upgrade but I don't understand the difference as I
> have to purchase either one.  Aren't they one in the same thing?

> --

Free Upgrade Office '97/2000 question

Post by Richard G. Harpe » Tue, 18 May 1999 04:00:00

It's quite likely that it's either a forgery or it's an OEM package that is
not supposed to be legally sold without a computer.  Remember the old
credo - "If it's too good to be true, it probably is."  :-)

You'd be very suspicious if someone offered you a new $15,000 car for
$1,500 - wouldn't you?  The "going" price for MS Office Professional Edition
from reputable retailers is anywhere from $299 to $399 so a package priced
at 10% of that should be equally suspicious.

--

* NOTE * - The address above is not my main mailbox.
EMailed messages may not be replied to.  Please post all messages
in the newsgroup so that all can benefit from the discussion!

> How do you know then with some of these online auction type things whether
> you're going to get a legal copy or not?  See what I'm talking about  at
> <http://www.a-world.com/product.asp?id=115532>  Is this an illegal copy?
> like a bargain as much as anyone but don't want any pirated software.

> Thanks.

> > JK,

> > Usually (~90+% of the time) the ones sold in "just the jewel case" are
> > Counterfeits and aren't qualified for anything.

> > There are different rules for upgrades of OEM (which come with NEW
systems
> > only) Office 97 (shrink wrapped with CD, manual, Certificate of
> > Authenticity, and numerous anti-piracy features to help distinguish it
from
> > the Counterfeits). The OEM version must come with a special upgrade
> > certificate (MS charges MS Authorized OEM Dealers more for the version
with
> > the upgrade certificate).

> > --
> > Regards,
> > Len Segal, MCP
> > Segal Computer Consulting
> > Microsoft - MVP (DTS), ClubWin
> > --------------
> > My reply address is intentionally wrong to reduce SPAM Email.
> > NOTE: We do not respond to unsolicited Email support questions,
> > please post questions in newsgroup.

> > > What is the difference in MS Office '97 Pro in the jewel case and a
> > > retail version of Office Pro?  I was told the later qualified for a
> > > free Office 2000 upgrade but I don't understand the difference as I
> > > have to purchase either one.  Aren't they one in the same thing?

> > > --

> --

1. Upgrade from Office 97 -> Office 2000 sr1

Hi guys,

after the upgrade, the following file wants to start: ACCFIL80.ODE ... I
know it's got something to do with access (I opened it in notepad and there
are loads of registry settings in there), but does anyone know how I can
'resolve' this problem?
Thanks in advance,

2. naming service endpoint problem

3. Office 2000 upgrades: do you need Office 97 installed?

4. Netmanage & Netscape?

5. Office 97 on Win 2000 question

6. Tray icon black

7. GPO Software install, My Dev's need office 97 and 2000

8. >>> 9 0 % O F F <<<

9. Date "Error" in Office Access '97 Under Win 2000

10. Can Office 97 & Office 2000 Co-exist

11. Office 2000 back to Office 97

12. Office 97 and/or Office 2000

13. Office 97 and Office 2000 on the same machine