Cannot Defrag Drive

Post by Colin Ree » Mon, 03 Apr 2000 05:00:00

I can defragment my C drive but Windows halts at the 10% stage when I try to
defrag my drive D: quoting in the error window ID. No. Defrag 00205.

I have tried Scandisk, and scandisk with a surface scan; all is OK.  I have
tried turning off Virus Protection in the BIOS when defragging.

Any suggestions for what I should do next?

Colin.

Cannot Defrag Drive

Post by Ron Badou » Mon, 03 Apr 2000 05:00:00

See this article:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q238/1/65.asp
--
Regards

Ron Badour, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
Making good newsgroup posts:
http://members.xoom.com/rwbadour/assets/images/Gpost.zip
Tips:  http://members.xoom.com/rwbadour/
Knowledge Base Info:  http://support.microsoft.com/support/search/c.asp

Quote:> I can defragment my C drive but Windows halts at the 10% stage when I try
> defrag my drive D: quoting in the error window ID. No. Defrag 00205.

> I have tried Scandisk, and scandisk with a surface scan; all is OK.  I
have
> tried turning off Virus Protection in the BIOS when defragging.

> Any suggestions for what I should do next?

> Colin.

Cannot Defrag Drive

Post by <g.aspin.. » Mon, 03 Apr 2000 05:00:00

> I can defragment my C drive but Windows halts at the 10% stage when I
try to
> defrag my drive D: quoting in the error window ID. No. Defrag 00205.

> I have tried Scandisk, and scandisk with a surface scan; all is OK.  I
have
> tried turning off Virus Protection in the BIOS when defragging.

> Any suggestions for what I should do next?

> Colin.

> Try turning off your screensaver if you have one, this worked for me.

Cannot Defrag Drive

Post by Mikhail Zhili » Mon, 03 Apr 2000 05:00:00

Defrag 00205 error is not that case. Most likely there are one or more
wrong files in c:\windows\applog folder.
--
Mikhail Zhilin
MS MVP-DTS

>> I can defragment my C drive but Windows halts at the 10% stage when I
>try to
>> defrag my drive D: quoting in the error window ID. No. Defrag 00205.

>> I have tried Scandisk, and scandisk with a surface scan; all is OK.  I
>have
>> tried turning off Virus Protection in the BIOS when defragging.

>> Any suggestions for what I should do next?

>> Colin.

>> Try turning off your screensaver if you have one, this worked for me.

Cannot Defrag Drive

Post by Colin Ree » Mon, 03 Apr 2000 05:00:00

Thank you Ron,

It worked.
Colin

"Ron Badour" ...