Win98Plus Problem

Win98Plus Problem

Post by Kath » Sun, 30 Aug 1998 04:00:00



I've had Win98 Plus for a long time now with no problems but suddenly 9 of
the Plus' screen savers are not working and when I try to access them in
display properties or Desktop Themes I get an "illegal operation" notice and
details say "invalid page fault in module Kernal32.DLL at 0177:bff7285"  All
of the screen savers that came with Windows 98 work fine and some of the
screen savers from Plus98 work OK too.  The following do not:

             Architecture
             Falling Leaves
             Fashion
             Geometry
             Horror
             Rock & Roll
             Corpis
             World Traveler
             Win98 High Color

The only changes I have recently made are making a shortcut to desktop of
the Cathy screen saver and uninstalling TweakDun 2.2 & Dunce Meter.  I only
noticed the changes now though so possibly this has been a problem for 1-2
weeks.  I also installed Norton Uninstaller Deluxe last week but I haven't
used it.  I have a Pentium II 266 with 64 ram and lots of hard drive.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Kathy

 
 
 

Win98Plus Problem

Post by Tom Porterfiel » Sun, 30 Aug 1998 04:00:00


Possibly one of the uninstalls took with it a file that it should have left behind.  Run sfc.exe and have it check for changed or deleted files, you'll need to hit the settings button to have it do the extra checks.  If it finds some files that have been replaced with older ones or have been removed, it can extract them from the 98 CD and put them back where they belong.

--

MS-MVP


>I've had Win98 Plus for a long time now with no problems but suddenly 9 of
>the Plus' screen savers are not working and when I try to access them in
>display properties or Desktop Themes I get an "illegal operation" notice and
>details say "invalid page fault in module Kernal32.DLL at 0177:bff7285"  All
>of the screen savers that came with Windows 98 work fine and some of the
>screen savers from Plus98 work OK too.  The following do not:

>             Architecture
>             Falling Leaves
>             Fashion
>             Geometry
>             Horror
>             Rock & Roll
>             Corpis
>             World Traveler
>             Win98 High Color

>The only changes I have recently made are making a shortcut to desktop of
>the Cathy screen saver and uninstalling TweakDun 2.2 & Dunce Meter.  I only
>noticed the changes now though so possibly this has been a problem for 1-2
>weeks.  I also installed Norton Uninstaller Deluxe last week but I haven't
>used it.  I have a Pentium II 266 with 64 ram and lots of hard drive.

>Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

>Kathy


 
 
 

Win98Plus Problem

Post by Rick Hall » Sun, 30 Aug 1998 04:00:00


If Tom's suggestion does not work try reinstalling Windows 98 and then Plus.
This should put the missing file back. You may want to uninstall Plus prior
to running the Windows 98 reinstall. After this is done you will want to
rerun Windows Update also.
--
Rick Halle
http://websiteconcepts.com/win98/


>I've had Win98 Plus for a long time now with no problems but suddenly 9 of
>the Plus' screen savers are not working and when I try to access them in
>display properties or Desktop Themes I get an "illegal operation" notice
and
>details say "invalid page fault in module Kernal32.DLL at 0177:bff7285"
All
>of the screen savers that came with Windows 98 work fine and some of the
>screen savers from Plus98 work OK too.  The following do not:

>             Architecture
>             Falling Leaves
>             Fashion
>             Geometry
>             Horror
>             Rock & Roll
>             Corpis
>             World Traveler
>             Win98 High Color

>The only changes I have recently made are making a shortcut to desktop of
>the Cathy screen saver and uninstalling TweakDun 2.2 & Dunce Meter.  I only
>noticed the changes now though so possibly this has been a problem for 1-2
>weeks.  I also installed Norton Uninstaller Deluxe last week but I haven't
>used it.  I have a Pentium II 266 with 64 ram and lots of hard drive.

>Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

>Kathy

 
 
 

Win98Plus Problem

Post by Kath » Sun, 30 Aug 1998 04:00:00


Thanks Tom & Rick for the response.  I ran the sfc.exe after changing the
settings to look for changed or deleted files.  It only came up with 3.  the
user.exe I ignored as I had restored that one before and was unable to boot
afterwards.  I used Norton Utilities 3 and restored it using the Zip Rescue.
The others were msisys.vxd & HwInfoD.vxd.  I attempted to restore them but
they weren't found on the Win98 C:\Windows\Options that I put the Win98 cab
files in.  Their previous and new versions and dates were the same too.
Anyway, it didn't work, so I'm getting closer to making that big decision of
reformatting and reinstalling everything.  I kinda hate to do that though
because although I did a clean install last time that went fairly smooth  I
had to troubleshoot installing my Intellimouse software and installing the
STB Nitro 3D with STB vision 95 for my display adapter.

I did it once though so I guess I can do it again.

Thanks again,  Kathy

 
 
 

Win98Plus Problem

Post by Bob Lydic » Mon, 31 Aug 1998 04:00:00


Kathy,

I do not think Rich meant for you to fdisk, format and do a clean
installation. Just reinstall 'over' your current setting. It will probably
work and solve your problems. Reinstall WIN98 from your current WIN98 and
then reinstall PLUS98. See if this solves your problem. Then go and get the
new updates. If this works, you will not need to format and do all of it
from scratch. And, Rich is saying to try to reinstall PLUS98 first, as it is
the Plus screen savers that are not working. Try it, and let us know.

--
Closing in the usual manner . . . God Bless and God Speed.

Bob Lydick
Beta ID: 323454
<delete the obvious from e-mail address for return address>


>Thanks Tom & Rick for the response.  I ran the sfc.exe after changing the
>settings to look for changed or deleted files.  It only came up with 3.
the
>user.exe I ignored as I had restored that one before and was unable to boot
>afterwards.  I used Norton Utilities 3 and restored it using the Zip
Rescue.
>The others were msisys.vxd & HwInfoD.vxd.  I attempted to restore them but
>they weren't found on the Win98 C:\Windows\Options that I put the Win98 cab
>files in.  Their previous and new versions and dates were the same too.
>Anyway, it didn't work, so I'm getting closer to making that big decision
of
>reformatting and reinstalling everything.  I kinda hate to do that though
>because although I did a clean install last time that went fairly smooth  I
>had to troubleshoot installing my Intellimouse software and installing the
>STB Nitro 3D with STB vision 95 for my display adapter.

>I did it once though so I guess I can do it again.

>Thanks again,  Kathy

 
 
 

Win98Plus Problem

Post by <vita.. » Mon, 31 Aug 1998 04:00:00


Thank you for all of your responses.  I did uninstall and reinstall Plus 98
and it didn't work so I will do as suggested and reinstall Win98 over 98.
Than Plus98.

Thanks again and I'll let you all know.

Kathy

 
 
 

Win98Plus Problem

Post by <vita.. » Mon, 31 Aug 1998 04:00:00


I reinstalled Win98 over my current installation.  It got rid of the
"illegals" &" invalid page faults in Kernel" but it's still not working.
Now the screen savers can be chosen and even show up in the little monitor
on the Screen Saver tab in display properties, but they will not show up in
preview or after the allotted minutes.  Only a black screen shows.

So I again uninstalled Plus and when it went to reboot it hung up so I
turned it off.  When I turned it back on it would not reboot.  Just my
monitor blinking its "good for the go message".  Soooo,
I booted with the start-up disk and reinstalled Win98 again!  And after it
installed Plus finished its own install!  Still doesn't work.  I'm ready to
give and Fdisk, Format & Install as I think there may be some major problems
here.  Any other options?

Thanks again for your help.

Kathy

 
 
 

Win98Plus Problem

Post by Patty MacDuffi » Mon, 31 Aug 1998 04:00:00


Do you use other power management settings, like monitor power down?
Is it set for the same number of minutes, or less, than the screen
saver?
Patty


>I reinstalled Win98 over my current installation.  It got rid of
the
>"illegals" &" invalid page faults in Kernel" but it's still not
working.
>Now the screen savers can be chosen and even show up in the little
monitor
>on the Screen Saver tab in display properties, but they will not
show up in
>preview or after the allotted minutes.  Only a black screen shows.

>So I again uninstalled Plus and when it went to reboot it hung up
so I
>turned it off.  When I turned it back on it would not reboot.  Just
my
>monitor blinking its "good for the go message".  Soooo,
>I booted with the start-up disk and reinstalled Win98 again!  And
after it
>installed Plus finished its own install!  Still doesn't work.  I'm
ready to
>give and Fdisk, Format & Install as I think there may be some major
problems
>here.  Any other options?

>Thanks again for your help.

>Kathy

 
 
 

Win98Plus Problem

Post by Bobby Cho » Fri, 04 Sep 1998 04:00:00


Perhaps you can try going to Diplay Properties --> Settings --> Advanced -->
Performance and then lowering the Hardware Acceleration to None. it might
just help.

Bob


Quote:>I reinstalled Win98 over my current installation.  It got rid of the
>"illegals" &" invalid page faults in Kernel" but it's still not working.
>Now the screen savers can be chosen and even show up in the little monitor
>on the Screen Saver tab in display properties, but they will not show up in
>preview or after the allotted minutes.  Only a black screen shows.

>So I again uninstalled Plus and when it went to reboot it hung up so I
>turned it off.  When I turned it back on it would not reboot.  Just my
>monitor blinking its "good for the go message".  Soooo,
>I booted with the start-up disk and reinstalled Win98 again!  And after it
>installed Plus finished its own install!  Still doesn't work.  I'm ready to
>give and Fdisk, Format & Install as I think there may be some major
problems
>here.  Any other options?

>Thanks again for your help.

>Kathy

 
 
 

1. Win98Plus Problem continues

I did a reinstall of Windows 98 over 98 and than reinstalled the Plus 98.
This stopped the "invalid page faults with module Kernel32.DLL" but the same
9 screensavers from Plus still do not work.  They just show a black screen
no matter if I am previewing them or applying them.  The power management is
turned to never so this has nothing to do with it.  I noticed in File Types
that the screen saver file has 3 actions:  Install, Configure, and Test.
The Install is marked as the default and when I clicked the edit button,
viewed the path and clicked OK without changing anything nothing happened.
But when I did the same with Configure and Test there wasn't much of a path
shown (just %1  & %1\S)  and when I clicked OK to get out after viewing them
I got the message "path not found, please specify the path" or something
like that.  What does the screensaver  file in the file types box normally
look like?  Can someone look at theirs and let me know?

Thank you, Kathy

2. PGP 2.6.3i on WinNT4.0

3. Win98plus virus shield

4. 64 bit hp-ux11

5. Problems..problems..problems

6. Drag/drop in Warp

7. PROBLEM PROBLEM PROBLEM

8. Tron Arcade Page

9. !!! PROBLEMS PROBLEMS PROBLEMS !!!

10. multiple nic problems/routing problems/dsl problems??

11. multiple nic problems/routing problems/ dsl problems??

12. Windows 2000... Problem after problem after problem!