Startup problem. HELP!

Post by Albert Marti » Sun, 04 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I am installing windows on a new Western Digital 10.2g drive.  I partitioned
it and formatted it with their EZ-Drive disk but kept my origianl BIOS
because it can handle the size.  I have managed to install the original
Windows98 and all of my hardware drivers and software.  Many times while
booting up(before actual windows desktop) the active light on the case will
start to steadily flash at a rapid pace.  It will keep doing this and
eventually will have the Windows login screen come up but it will crash from
that point. It seems to happen totally at random.  I don't even know what to
suspect because if it does start up properly it will run without any problem
what-so-ever.  If feel that knocks out hard drive problem but everything in
the same exact configuration works with my old 6.2 gig drive.  Safe mode
always works, though.  I have tried using the windows configuration utility
to try restarts without the win.ini and sys.ini and it still happens.

I am at a total loss.  If anyone can help please e-mail or post.  DO NOT HIT
REPLY.  THIS IS NOT MY REGULAR ACCOUNT.

here is my sysetm:
Tekram motherboard
96meg RAM
Diamond Stealth II S220 video card
Diamond Monster 3D(3dfx card)
Diamond SupraExpress internal modem
Diamond Monster Sound MX200(3d sound card)
Sound Blaster AWE64 Value(DOS sound card)
Toshiba 36X CD-ROM(internal)
Western digital 6.2 and 10.2g drives
LS-120 Floppy drive(internal)
ZIP100 external drive

Ask me anything you need!!!

Jason

Startup problem. HELP!

Post by Naked Mole Ra » Mon, 05 Jul 1999 04:00:00

This is not the appropriate newsgroup. Post your message at

alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

and/or at

comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

-- NMR --

> I am installing windows on a new Western Digital 10.2g drive.  I partitioned
> it and formatted it with their EZ-Drive disk but kept my origianl BIOS
> because it can handle the size.  I have managed to install the original
> Windows98 and all of my hardware drivers and software.  Many times while
> booting up(before actual windows desktop) the active light on the case will
> start to steadily flash at a rapid pace.  It will keep doing this and
> eventually will have the Windows login screen come up but it will crash from
> that point. It seems to happen totally at random.  I don't even know what to
> suspect because if it does start up properly it will run without any problem
> what-so-ever.  If feel that knocks out hard drive problem but everything in
> the same exact configuration works with my old 6.2 gig drive.  Safe mode
> always works, though.  I have tried using the windows configuration utility
> to try restarts without the win.ini and sys.ini and it still happens.

> I am at a total loss.  If anyone can help please e-mail or post.  DO NOT HIT
> REPLY.  THIS IS NOT MY REGULAR ACCOUNT.

> here is my sysetm:
> Tekram motherboard
> 96meg RAM
> Diamond Stealth II S220 video card
> Diamond Monster 3D(3dfx card)
> Diamond SupraExpress internal modem
> Diamond Monster Sound MX200(3d sound card)
> Sound Blaster AWE64 Value(DOS sound card)
> Toshiba 36X CD-ROM(internal)
> Western digital 6.2 and 10.2g drives
> LS-120 Floppy drive(internal)
> ZIP100 external drive

> Ask me anything you need!!!

> Jason

Startup problem. HELP!

Post by RedDrago » Mon, 05 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Had same problem. We had the same modem and an LS120 as well remove both
install win98. After a successful install put the modem in install it. then
the LS120. This worked for me.
Red
> > here is my sysetm:
> > Tekram motherboard
> > 96meg RAM
> > Diamond Stealth II S220 video card
> > Diamond Monster 3D(3dfx card)
> > Diamond SupraExpress internal modem
> > Diamond Monster Sound MX200(3d sound card)
> > Sound Blaster AWE64 Value(DOS sound card)
> > Toshiba 36X CD-ROM(internal)
> > Western digital 6.2 and 10.2g drives
> > LS-120 Floppy drive(internal)
> > ZIP100 external drive

> > Ask me anything you need!!!

> > Jason

1. Help. Win98 Startup Problem.

Lou - I thought I had a freeze on start-up until I went for coffee and came
back to find that the machine had booted. When I watched it I found it was
without any apparent disk activity for all of six minutes and then was OK.
This behaviour started when I installed the pre WIN98 version of Ditto Tools
for my Iomega Ditto 2000 drive. Everything went fine when I re-installed
with the Ditto disconnected and without the Ditto Tools. This probably
doesn't meet your case but might give you a clue. But try giving it a coffee
break to ensure that it really has frozen and is not just on a hunt for a
non-existent driver perhaps. - Douglas Steven

2. Wanted - memory or megachip

3. startup problem....please help!!!!

4. Red Crossed though network mappings

5. Need help with a video/Quake gl startup problem...

6. Psion 5?

7. Win 98 - Startup problems - HELP!!

8. login

9. Please help! Start-up & MS-DOS Problem

10. Startup problem - help!

11. Problem with Startup- HELP!

12. Startup Problems - Help!!!

13. Startup problems - Need HELP!