w98 explorer sort pref doesn't stick

Post by Steve Eckman » Thu, 26 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I always want Explorer windows to open with files sorted by name,
but Explorer opens at least some folders sorted by modified date.
I've tried everything I could find to make "sort by name" stick,
but when I close Explorer then reopen, the files are again sorted
by date. I'm missing something really obvious, right?

-Steve

Post by Ron Badou » Thu, 26 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> I always want Explorer windows to open with files sorted by name,
> but Explorer opens at least some folders sorted by modified date.
> I've tried everything I could find to make "sort by name" stick,
> but when I close Explorer then reopen, the files are again sorted
> by date. I'm missing something really obvious, right?

When you close Explorer, hold down the control key while clicking the X

--
Regards

Ron Badour, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
Tips:  http://members.xoom.com/rwbadour/
Knowledge Base Info:  http://support.microsoft.com/support/search/c.asp
When posting a follow-up question, please send me an email cc.

1. Explorer Sort Order Won't Stick

I am running Win98 SE. Whenever I open Explorer to view folders and files they are not sorted in Alphabetical order anymore. I can click on the Name column to sort alphabetically, but when I close Explorer and reopen it goes back to some other sort order. I have tried Clicking    View\Folder Options\View\ and select make all folders look the same, after I have sorted by name, but it still wont stick. I have also tried selecting "Remember each folders view settings". Still will not hold settings. Any Ideas?

--
Jay

2. Real time : Asynchronous files and virtual memory control on Windows 95.

3. SAVE AS alpha-sort won't 'stick'...

4. How to view SB3100 config pages when behind an RT311 router

5. Floppy disk doesn't 'refresh' in Explorer

6. DNS Server NETLOGON Warning Question...

7. Square condition is not enough for function to have 1-private computation protocol.

8. sort of off topic - why doesn't outlook have a "send again" option......

9. Win98 Start Menu doesn't sort itself !!

10. Win98 doesn't sort Start menu or Favorites

11. Win98 Start Menu doesn't sort itself !!