What are dll files and the registry?

Visit http://www.whatis.com

Post by jungle_.. » Tue, 09 May 2000 04:00:00

Hi.  Would really appreciate it if u could tell me what dll files and
the registry are about. All those keys are confusing! Thanks!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Ron Martel » Tue, 09 May 2000 04:00:00

>Hi.  Would really appreciate it if u could tell me what dll files and
>the registry are about. All those keys are confusing! Thanks!

.DLL files are "Dynamic Link Libraries".   They consist of compiled
program code that can be used by a number of different application
programs or windows system functions.

This means that instead of adding this code into each program that
needs it, which would make the programs bigger, they are coded so that
they will load the needed code from the .dll file as and when it is
needed.

The windows registry is a hierarchical database that contains
configuration information and operating parameters for the hardware
and software installed in your computer.  It is not something that
should be fiddled with, as a damaged registry can make your system
unusable.

Ron Martell     Duncan B.C.    Canada
--
Microsoft MVP