New Twist On ILoveYou Virus

Post by Gary Terhun » Fri, 19 May 2000 04:00:00

10 PM news out of Sacramento, CA, states that just tonight a new rampage of the LoveBug is spreading, this time with the twist of randomly changing the Subject line of the outgoing emails (the ones it sends to spread itself) with every iteration.

If you are depending on filtering the Subject lines of emails as protection, don't.
--
Gary Terhune
MS MVP-DTS

New Twist On ILoveYou Virus

Post by Gary Terhun » Fri, 19 May 2000 04:00:00

Courtesy of Bill James (who got it I don't know where):

Very *: "The contents of all files will be replaced with the source code of the worm, thus destroying the original contents. The worm will also append the extension '.vbs' to each of these files. For example, the file calc.exe will become calc.exe.vbs. Since this worm overwrites all files regardless of extension, proper removal can only be achieved by restoring the affected files from known clean backups."

IOW, if it hits you, your system is pretty much dead meat. Previous Backups are the only recovery available.

For further info:
http://www.veryComputer.com/
http://www.veryComputer.com/
--
Gary Terhune
MS MVP-DTS

10 PM news out of Sacramento, CA, states that just tonight a new rampage of the LoveBug is spreading, this time with the twist of randomly changing the Subject line of the outgoing emails (the ones it sends to spread itself) with every iteration.

If you are depending on filtering the Subject lines of emails as protection, don't.
--
Gary Terhune
MS MVP-DTS
http://www.veryComputer.com/

New Twist On ILoveYou Virus

Post by cqui.. » Sat, 20 May 2000 04:00:00

On Thu, 18 May 2000 23:32:03 -0700, "Gary Terhune"

Funny, I just posted on this in another thread...

Quote:>Courtesy of Bill James (who got it I don't know where):
>Very *: "The contents of all files will be replaced with the source =
>code of the worm, thus destroying the original contents.
>IOW, if it hits you, your system is pretty much dead meat. Previous =
>Backups are the only recovery available.

But remember: "Scripts are usually safe"

Only 234 more sharpening days to Christmas

New Twist On ILoveYou Virus

Post by Gary Terhun » Sat, 20 May 2000 04:00:00

> But remember: "Scripts are usually safe"

ROFLMAO!!!

--
Gary Terhune
MS MVP-DTS