RemoteAccess Virus?

Post by DaffyD » Wed, 21 May 2003 02:34:43

I noticed in the past couple of days that a dialup "access_to" was showing
up in DUN, and all Internet Connection windows (NAV, IE, etc.)
I found the following HKEY_CURRENT_USER\RemoteAccess keys; Are they supposed
to be there? There are three strings:
1. Default       Data (value not set)
2. AreaCode  Data (";")
3. Default       Data ( "access_to")

I found the "access_to" connection in the DUN folder and deleted it. Am I
right in thinking this was put on my machine by a dialer program?   I 've
done Adaware and SpyBot scans and there are no dialers in my system, but
they didn't catch the access-to program either.
Thanks.

RemoteAccess Virus?

Post by glee » Wed, 21 May 2003 05:05:16

The RemoteAccess registry key is supposed to be there, and contain info about your dial-up providers if you have any.  I can't say what might have made a DUN connectoid with that name.

...glen
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP W95/98 Systems

> I noticed in the past couple of days that a dialup "access_to" was showing
> up in DUN, and all Internet Connection windows (NAV, IE, etc.)
> I found the following HKEY_CURRENT_USER\RemoteAccess keys; Are they supposed
> to be there? There are three strings:
> 1. Default       Data (value not set)
> 2. AreaCode  Data (";")
> 3. Default       Data ( "access_to")

> I found the "access_to" connection in the DUN folder and deleted it. Am I
> right in thinking this was put on my machine by a dialer program?   I 've
> done Adaware and SpyBot scans and there are no dialers in my system, but
> they didn't catch the access-to program either.
> Thanks.

RemoteAccess Virus?

Post by DaffyD » Wed, 21 May 2003 14:41:09

Connectoid--that's the word I wanted. I think nefarious website installed it
as a dialer. Anyone of us in my family--even me--could have logged onto the
site, which was probably just a popup anyway. Thanks.
--
a( : [|]=(  DaffyD?

A Duck With Tools Is A Duck To Be Reckoned With

The RemoteAccess registry key is supposed to be there, and contain info
about your dial-up providers if you have any.  I can't say what might have
made a DUN connectoid with that name.

...glen
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP W95/98 Systems

Quote:> I noticed in the past couple of days that a dialup "access_to" was showing