Windows Update

Post by Doug » Fri, 16 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

Is is just me or is the Windows Update site hosed?  I've been trying to
download that 50k Critical update notification and the Libraries Update.  It
says it should only take 17 seconds to download both, but after an hour it
still hasn't downloaded the Critical Update notification patch.  And yes 17
seconds is realistic as I'm on a cable connection.

Windows Update

Post by Frank Saunders MS-MV » Fri, 16 Jul 1999 04:00:00

To check it out I just went there and downloaded and installed the Libraries
Update.  It took slightly longer that the estimated 15 minutes, but I assume
that's because of my flaky ISP  (or my flaky, 30 miles from the phone
company, telephone lines).
I think the problem may be on your end or with your ISP.

--

Frank Saunders MS-MVP
Please reply in newsgroup - Reply To: is not valid.

Quote:> Hi,

> Is is just me or is the Windows Update site hosed?  I've been trying to
> download that 50k Critical update notification and the Libraries Update.
It
> says it should only take 17 seconds to download both, but after an hour it
> still hasn't downloaded the Critical Update notification patch.  And yes
17
> seconds is realistic as I'm on a cable connection.

Windows Update

Post by Bob Delane » Fri, 16 Jul 1999 04:00:00

   No, it's not just you. Actually, I wondered if it was just me! I tried to install that new version of the Critical Update Notification, and it downloaded, but failed to install twice. That's the first time that's ever happened to me.
--
Bob Delaney
Microsoft MVP

> Hi,

> Is is just me or is the Windows Update site hosed?  I've been trying to
> download that 50k Critical update notification and the Libraries Update.  It
> says it should only take 17 seconds to download both, but after an hour it
> still hasn't downloaded the Critical Update notification patch.  And yes 17
> seconds is realistic as I'm on a cable connection.

Windows Update

Post by Doug » Fri, 16 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I can't even get it to download.  The most I've been able to get is 42k of
it.  I'm on MediaOne's cable internet and everything else (meaning all other
sites) work fine.   And I was able to download an earlier update from the
Windows update page at full speed just a few days ago.

Quote:>    No, it's not just you. Actually, I wondered if it was just me! I tried

to install that new version of the Critical Update Notification, and it
downloaded, but failed to install twice. That's the first time that's ever
happened to me.
> --
> Bob Delaney
> Microsoft MVP

Quote:> > Hi,

> > Is is just me or is the Windows Update site hosed?  I've been trying to
> > download that 50k Critical update notification and the Libraries Update.
It
> > says it should only take 17 seconds to download both, but after an hour
it
> > still hasn't downloaded the Critical Update notification patch.  And yes
17
> > seconds is realistic as I'm on a cable connection.

Windows Update

Post by Doug » Fri, 16 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Just tried it again.  I got to 32K, after about 5 minutes, then it just sat
there.  Cancelled out, went to ZDNet and downloaded a 1.8 meg file in about
15 seconds.  MSN's Computing Central Connection benchmark site gives me .72
meg, 1.2 meg and 1.5 meg respectively on 3 tests.

Somehow I don't think its my problem.   I did notice that MS wanted to
install a newer Active Setup component, yesterday, which I let it
do..........

> I can't even get it to download.  The most I've been able to get is 42k of
> it.  I'm on MediaOne's cable internet and everything else (meaning all
other
> sites) work fine.   And I was able to download an earlier update from the
> Windows update page at full speed just a few days ago.

> >    No, it's not just you. Actually, I wondered if it was just me! I
tried
> to install that new version of the Critical Update Notification, and it
> downloaded, but failed to install twice. That's the first time that's ever
> happened to me.
> > --
> > Bob Delaney
> > Microsoft MVP

> > > Hi,

> > > Is is just me or is the Windows Update site hosed?  I've been trying
> > > download that 50k Critical update notification and the Libraries
Update.
> It
> > > says it should only take 17 seconds to download both, but after an
hour
> it
> > > still hasn't downloaded the Critical Update notification patch.  And
yes
> 17
> > > seconds is realistic as I'm on a cable connection.

Windows Update

Post by John Hudso » Fri, 16 Jul 1999 04:00:00

just to add to the confusion. work fine at about 0700 this AM

> Just tried it again.  I got to 32K, after about 5 minutes, then it just
sat
> there.  Cancelled out, went to ZDNet and downloaded a 1.8 meg file in
about
> 15 seconds.  MSN's Computing Central Connection benchmark site gives me
.72
> meg, 1.2 meg and 1.5 meg respectively on 3 tests.

> Somehow I don't think its my problem.   I did notice that MS wanted to
> install a newer Active Setup component, yesterday, which I let it
> do..........

> > I can't even get it to download.  The most I've been able to get is 42k
of
> > it.  I'm on MediaOne's cable internet and everything else (meaning all
> other
> > sites) work fine.   And I was able to download an earlier update from
the
> > Windows update page at full speed just a few days ago.

> > >    No, it's not just you. Actually, I wondered if it was just me! I
> tried
> > to install that new version of the Critical Update Notification, and it
> > downloaded, but failed to install twice. That's the first time that's
ever
> > happened to me.
> > > --
> > > Bob Delaney
> > > Microsoft MVP

> Update.
> > It
> hour
> > it
> yes
> > 17

Windows Update

Post by Al Kaufman » Fri, 16 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I managed to get the critical update downloaded and installed but I had to
wait until after midnight.  I guess that is the MS Witching hour.

I still have the same problem with recommended updates.

Don't think it our problem, just an overloaded MS system so I can understand
extremely slow downloads but what I can't understand is why downloads cannot
RESUME.

Ak

Quote:> And to confuse it even further.  I have yet to get even the paltry 50k
> Critical Update update to download.  It hangs before it gets there, and
> takes over 3 minutes just to get to 40k.   I am on a cable connection that
> was working fine with other updates.  I can get the opening pages, and the
> list of software pages fairly quickly, but the data from the download just
> won't come in.  I've tried at midnight, 3 AM, 5 AM, 8 AM, noon, 4 pm, 6
pm,
> 9 pm and so and so forth and it still won't work!

Windows Update

Post by Al Kaufman » Fri, 16 Jul 1999 04:00:00

The only file I show in the DPF folder is CV3 Class, installed.

I just deleted all the files in my windows/temp folder, went into IE5
properties and deleted all the temporary internet files and history and then
tried it again.  I went away for a few minutes and when I came back it was
done and the system requested a re-boot.

I don't know if it was something I did that solved the problem or if MS did
something on their side.

Ak

Quote:> When you right click and select properties of the DPF folder, do you show
> any # of files and 0 (Zero) folders?

Windows Update

Post by Doug » Sat, 17 Jul 1999 04:00:00

And to confuse it even further.  I have yet to get even the paltry 50k
Critical Update update to download.  It hangs before it gets there, and
takes over 3 minutes just to get to 40k.   I am on a cable connection that
was working fine with other updates.  I can get the opening pages, and the
list of software pages fairly quickly, but the data from the download just
won't come in.  I've tried at midnight, 3 AM, 5 AM, 8 AM, noon, 4 pm, 6 pm,
9 pm and so and so forth and it still won't work!

Yet every other page I visit download lightning fast, and can download
multimeg files in seconds.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.   I've tried a completely clean boot
and that didn't work either.

> just to add to the confusion. work fine at about 0700 this AM

> > Just tried it again.  I got to 32K, after about 5 minutes, then it just
> sat
> > there.  Cancelled out, went to ZDNet and downloaded a 1.8 meg file in
> about
> > 15 seconds.  MSN's Computing Central Connection benchmark site gives me
> .72
> > meg, 1.2 meg and 1.5 meg respectively on 3 tests.

> > Somehow I don't think its my problem.   I did notice that MS wanted to
> > install a newer Active Setup component, yesterday, which I let it
> > do..........

> > > I can't even get it to download.  The most I've been able to get is
42k
> of
> > > it.  I'm on MediaOne's cable internet and everything else (meaning all
> > other
> > > sites) work fine.   And I was able to download an earlier update from
> the
> > > Windows update page at full speed just a few days ago.

> > tried
> > > to install that new version of the Critical Update Notification, and
it
> > > downloaded, but failed to install twice. That's the first time that's
> ever
> > > happened to me.

> > Update.
> > > It
> > hour
> > > it
And
> > yes
> > > 17

Windows Update

Post by MrScar » Sat, 17 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Any damaged controls in the Downloaded Program files folder | details view?

--
Attila Szabo
 Microsoft-MVP (DTS)

x-no-archive: yes

| And to confuse it even further.  I have yet to get even the paltry 50k
| Critical Update update to download.  It hangs before it gets there, and
| takes over 3 minutes just to get to 40k.   I am on a cable connection that
| was working fine with other updates.  I can get the opening pages, and the
| list of software pages fairly quickly, but the data from the download just
| won't come in.  I've tried at midnight, 3 AM, 5 AM, 8 AM, noon, 4 pm, 6
pm,
| 9 pm and so and so forth and it still won't work!
|
| Yet every other page I visit download lightning fast, and can download
| multimeg files in seconds.
|
| Any suggestions would be appreciated.   I've tried a completely clean boot
| and that didn't work either.
|

| > just to add to the confusion. work fine at about 0700 this AM

| > > Just tried it again.  I got to 32K, after about 5 minutes, then it
just
| > sat
| > > there.  Cancelled out, went to ZDNet and downloaded a 1.8 meg file in
| > about
| > > 15 seconds.  MSN's Computing Central Connection benchmark site gives
me
| > .72
| > > meg, 1.2 meg and 1.5 meg respectively on 3 tests.
| > >
| > > Somehow I don't think its my problem.   I did notice that MS wanted to
| > > install a newer Active Setup component, yesterday, which I let it
| > > do..........

| 42k
| > of
| > > other
| > the

| > > tried
| it
| > ever

| trying
| > > Update.
| > > hour
| And
| > > yes

Windows Update

Post by Doug » Sat, 17 Jul 1999 04:00:00

No.  I show 10 entries and all say Installed.

The only thing that I think may have happened was I went back into MSN's
* Zone recently.  I recall that once before it messed some things up
when it installed its software, but it pretty much rendered IE5 unusable.
It works now, and everything except Windows Update seems to be working.

> [...]

| > Attila Szabo
| >  Microsoft-MVP (DTS)
| >  Bell Atlantic-Services Technician
| >   a.k.a.' MrScary '
| >
| > x-no-archive: yes

| > | And to confuse it even further.  I have yet to get even the paltry 50k
| > | Critical Update update to download.  It hangs before it gets there,
and
| > | takes over 3 minutes just to get to 40k.   I am on a cable connection
| that
| > | was working fine with other updates.  I can get the opening pages, and
| the
| > | list of software pages fairly quickly, but the data from the download
| just
| > | won't come in.  I've tried at midnight, 3 AM, 5 AM, 8 AM, noon, 4 pm,
6
| > pm,
| > | 9 pm and so and so forth and it still won't work!
| > |
| > | Yet every other page I visit download lightning fast, and can download
| > | multimeg files in seconds.
| > |
| > | Any suggestions would be appreciated.   I've tried a completely clean
| boot
| > | and that didn't work either.
| > |

| > just
| in
| > me

| is
| > | 42k
| > all
| > from

| me!
| > |
| and
| > | it
| > that's

| > | trying
| Libraries
| after
| > an
| patch.
| > | And

| > |
| > |

Windows Update

Post by Doug » Sat, 17 Jul 1999 04:00:00

That gives me 24 files and 1 folder.  Also this time when I opened the DPF
folder it said that the MSN * Heartbeat control was damaged.  Was
Installed the last time.
I did finally manage to get the Libraries Update downloaded.  Took about 45
minutes on my cable connection (sheesh).  I used the company's mobile access
to get the Critical Update Notification update.

I'll try it again with some stuff I really didn't want and see if works
later.

Any input would be appreciated for future reference

TIA

> When you right click and select properties of the DPF folder, do you show
> any # of files and 0 (Zero) folders?
> --
> Attila Szabo
>  Microsoft-MVP (DTS)
>  Bell Atlantic-Services Technician
>   a.k.a.' MrScary '

> x-no-archive: yes

> | No.  I show 10 entries and all say Installed.
> |
> | The only thing that I think may have happened was I went back into MSN's
> | * Zone recently.  I recall that once before it messed some things
up
> | when it installed its software, but it pretty much rendered IE5
unusable.
> | It works now, and everything except Windows Update seems to be working.
> |

> | > Any damaged controls in the Downloaded Program files folder | details
> | view?
> | >
> | > --
> | > Attila Szabo
> | >  Microsoft-MVP (DTS)
> | >  Bell Atlantic-Services Technician
> | >   a.k.a.' MrScary '
> | >
> | > x-no-archive: yes

> and
> | that
> | the
> | just
> 6
> | > pm,
> | > |
> | > |
> | boot
> | > |

> | > just
> | in
> gives
> | > me

> wanted

> | is
> (meaning
> | > all
> | > from

> | me!
> | > |
Notification,
> | and
> | > that's

> been
> | Libraries
> | after
> | > an
> | patch.
> | > | > > > > >

> | > |
> | > |

Windows Update

Post by Kolin_Tregaske » Tue, 20 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I am having trouble with Windows Update.

I select Windows Update from the StartMenu, I connect to the Internet and
once connected the Windows Update page is not display.  The Window it
completely blank - no message whatsoever.  It seems to download something,
then say it's 'Done', but nothing is displayed.

Can someone please help?

Kolin.

1. Window Update -Windows Update Scan for Updates Stops Responding at 0%

I went to this link
us;812956
Method 4 appeared to fit my case, no other ones corrected
the problem...
Everything went ok until I got to the last step Iuctl.inf
click install

I then got this error message:
Insert Disk
The disk labeled %Disk Name is now Required
This disk is provided by your computer manufacturer
click ok to continue
needless to say I couldn't get past this.....anyone know
where to browse to to insert this file...Thanks

2. Deleting multiple messages

3. Windows Update locked PC out of additional Windows Updates?

4. Help!! - Delegate config confusion

5. Updating Windows vs. Windows Update

6. Serial LCD protocol?

7. Windows Update Not able to update ANYTHING?

8. Capture TSR's

9. Windows Update Fails to list updates

10. Problem with 3Com network driver update from Microsoft Windows Update site

11. Windows Update. - update.jpg (1/1)

12. Windows Update Fails - No updates were installed

13. Cannot update with Windows Update. Always fails