Registry problems - advice requested.

Post by JimsPuter9 » Tue, 18 Mar 2003 05:01:54

try registry cleaner by Jouni Vuorio

http://www.vtoy.fi/jv16/index.php

it has a lot of helpful tools.

Jim

Quote:> I have a Dell Dimension XPS R450 which I got in early 1998.  It is running
> Windows 98 (4.10.1998).  The computer is a Pentium II Intel MMX with 256
MB
> of memory.

> I have been having alot of trouble with the system and, for the last 6
> months or so, have had to rebuild the registry (with SCANREG /FIX) or
> restore an old version probably about every third or fourth reboot, on
> average.  However, I'm now at the point where the SCANREG /FIX doesn't
work
> and it fails every time I try to reboot, so I have to restore the registry
> every time.  And now when I reboot after the restore, Norton Antivirus
puts
> out a message saying that it can't load the Auto-Protect run-time virus
> checker.  I'm afraid that at some point the one good registry which shows
up
> when the last 5 are listed won't work (the others show up as "NOT
STARTED",
> so I assume they are no good).

> So I'm thinking that I either need some program which does a better job at
> fixing registries or install a new version of Windows.

> Are there any registry fixing programs which you can recommend?

> If my only real option is to reload a new version of Windows, then the
> question is which version.  I don't have any of the disks I got from Dell
> when I got the machine so I'll have to buy one.  What do you recommend?
I'd
> like to be able to put Windows 2000 on the machine, but I'm not sure it's
> powerful enough and if you can upgrade to Win2000 from Win 98.

> If one of the Windows 98 versions is the best choice, would you recommend
> the basic Win98 or Win98 SE or Win98 ME?

> Any suggestions will be appreciated.

> Thanks.

Registry problems - advice requested.

Post by ira hinin » Wed, 02 Apr 2003 15:06:28

this i one of the easiest registry utilities i've found.  pay heed to the
warnings-- BACKUP if you are not sure what your doing.  good luck!
www.pcmedixwebs.com/regclean.htm

Post by Robin T Co » Thu, 03 Apr 2003 03:43:29

>>> I have a Dell Dimension XPS R450 which I got in early 1998.  It is
>>> running Windows 98 (4.10.1998).  The computer is a Pentium II Intel
>>> MMX with 256 MB of memory.

>>> I have been having alot of trouble with the system and, for the
>>> last 6 months or so, have had to rebuild the registry (with SCANREG
>>> /FIX) or restore an old version probably about every third or
>>> fourth reboot, on average.  However, I'm now at the point where the
>>> SCANREG /FIX doesn't work and it fails every time I try to reboot,
>>> so I have to restore the registry every time.  And now when I
>>> reboot after the restore, Norton Antivirus puts out a message
>>> saying that it can't load the Auto-Protect run-time virus checker.
>>> I'm afraid that at some point the one good registry which shows up
>>> when the last 5 are listed won't work (the others show up as "NOT
>>> STARTED", so I assume they are no good).

>>> So I'm thinking that I either need some program which does a better
>>> job at fixing registries or install a new version of Windows.

>>> Are there any registry fixing programs which you can recommend?

>>> If my only real option is to reload a new version of Windows, then
>>> the question is which version.  I don't have any of the disks I got
>>> from Dell when I got the machine so I'll have to buy one.  What do
>>> you recommend? I'd like to be able to put Windows 2000 on the
>>> machine, but I'm not sure it's powerful enough and if you can
>>> upgrade to Win2000 from Win 98.

>>> If one of the Windows 98 versions is the best choice, would you
>>> recommend the basic Win98 or Win98 SE or Win98 ME?

>>> Any suggestions will be appreciated.

>>> Thanks.

It looks as if something you've downloaded is interfering with your
registry - and with your antivirus - and so if you haven't done so it's
advisable to scan for parasites by using Ad-aware and Spybot. Their download
addresses are given in this link:
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/security.htm

You should also check for trojan infection by using an online scanner such
as:
http://www.anti-trojan.net/en/onlinecheck.aspx

You don't need a registry fixing program - nothing does it better than
scanreg.

I'd also recommend upgrading to W98SE - although you'll need to hunt around
for the required disk.

1. Registry problems - advice requested.

[...]

2. Boot problems with MicroVax II

3. PPP Server under W2K/XP: Design advice request

4. LaTeX on an SGI?

5. Network advice requested

6. MYRIAD font

7. Advice on network/set-up options, requested

8. NPGS Unix multiprocessor paper

9. Terminal Services Advice Request

10. Advice Requested - cost effective system backups

11. Urgent request for advice.

12. requesting advice on updating a server...

13. request for technical advice