Need MVP answer

Post by Robert Grac » Tue, 07 Sep 1999 04:00:00

I uninstalled Windows 98 SE, then ran the Year 2000 update which directed me
to create another startup disk.
When I click on the startup disk tab (you know, control panel, add remove
programs...) it doesn't work!  I wouldn't know where to
start trying to figure out why Windows 98 won't create a boot disk now?  Is
this a major flaw in the operating system as a result of the uninstall or
did the update cause this to happen?  I can give you the details what
happens but they're lengthy.  Windows says it can't find four different
files and to check the path if listed (which it's not), and when the process
finally ends, the boot disk produces a blue screen and says the process is
halted.  The new Gateway is locked up solid.  Any ideas???

Need MVP answer

Post by George M. Winfor » Tue, 07 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Robert,

I sent you a rather detailed answer on September 2. I mentioned that you
needed the installation medium so that the right files could be copied to
the startup disk. I also sent you an MS KB article on how to make a startup
disk from DOS.

Trust me, Windows will create a boot disk if you have the proper files for
it. You may have to change the path (use Browse). And, as the KB article
says, you can make one in DOS.

However, if for some reason you cannot make a startup disk it could be that
the proprietary restraints of the Gateway computer are the problem. I
suggest you contact Gateway.

Here is a copy of what I sent to you last week:

First, the Startup disk utility in add/remove programs in Control Panel
needs the Windows CD so that it can copy files.

Second, there are other ways. For example, this Microsoft Knowledge Base
article tells you how to make a startup disk from DOS:

PSS ID Number: Q186300
Article last modified on 02-04-1999

WINDOWS:

WINDOWS

---

 - Microsoft Windows 98
---

SUMMARY
=======

This article describes how to make a Windows 98 Startup disk from MS-DOS.
This
may be necessary if you cannot start Windows 98 normally, but you can start
your
computer to a command prompt and access your hard disk. This may also be
necessary if you have a laptop computer that has a CD-ROM drive and a floppy
disk drive that are interchangeable.

MORE INFORMATION
================

To make a Windows 98 Startup disk from MS-DOS, use the following steps:

1. Restart your computer, press and hold down the CTRL key until the Windows
98
   Startup menu appears, and then choose Command Prompt Only from the
Startup
   menu.

2. Insert a blank, formatted floppy disk into drive A.

3. Type the following commands, pressing ENTER after each command:

   cd windows\command
   smartdrv.exe
   bootdisk a:

   NOTE: Smartdrv.exe is not required to create a Windows 98 Startup disk.
It is
   used only to speed the creation of the startup disk.

4. Follow the instructions on the screen to finish making the Startup disk.

Additional query words: 98 bootdisk.bat ebd esd

Keywords          : kbtool win98
Version           : WINDOWS:
Platform          : WINDOWS
Issue type        : kbhowto
=
Copyright Microsoft Corporation 1999.

Also, if this article doesn't solve your problem, you can go to the MS KB
site and search for additional information:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/search/c.asp?FR=0

I did a search for "ebd" (without the quotation marks) and had 20+ hits.

If I can provide further assistance, please let me know.

Good Luck,

geo., MS MVP, MCP

Quote:> I uninstalled Windows 98 SE, then ran the Year 2000 update which directed
me
> to create another startup disk.
> When I click on the startup disk tab (you know, control panel, add remove
> programs...) it doesn't work!  I wouldn't know where to
> start trying to figure out why Windows 98 won't create a boot disk now?
Is
> this a major flaw in the operating system as a result of the uninstall or
> did the update cause this to happen?  I can give you the details what
> happens but they're lengthy.  Windows says it can't find four different
> files and to check the path if listed (which it's not), and when the
process
> finally ends, the boot disk produces a blue screen and says the process is
> halted.  The new Gateway is locked up solid.  Any ideas???

Need MVP answer

Post by cqui.. » Wed, 08 Sep 1999 04:00:00

On Mon, 6 Sep 1999 15:08:38 -0500, "George M. Winford"

>Trust me, Windows will create a boot disk if you have the proper files for
>it. You may have to change the path (use Browse). And, as the KB article
>says, you can make one in DOS.

Win98 will make a very useful boot diskette with core utils loaded
from .cab into RAM drive; only change I'd make is set the %Temp% and
%Tmp% to point to the RAM drive rather than C: if using for data
recovery (where you want to avoid *any* writes to the HD)

The Win98 setup diskette that comes with the CD will generally work
right off the bat, with native CD support.  May want to check that
FDisk.exe, Format.com and Sys.exe are there if using this to set up
new systems, as often some of these are left out.

Win95's setup diskette should have been set up by your OEM, but often
isn't.  There are no generic CD-ROM drivers there, you have to add and
integrate the .sys driver that came with your CD-ROM drive.

If you are using Win95 (though posting to Win98 ng for some reason)
you may find this useful:

MAKEBOOT.BAT

If "%1"=="?" GoTo Help
If "%1"=="/?" GoTo Help
Set CDDrv=%1
Set CDPath=%2
If "%1"=="" Set CDDrv=AOATAPI.sys
If "%2"=="" Set CDPath=C:\
Echo.
Echo This will FORMAT the diskette A: and make a boot disk of it
Echo If this is not what you want, press   Ctrl-C   to abort, or...
Pause
Echo.
Format A: /S
Echo [Menu] > A:\Config.sys
Echo MenuItem=Def,Diskette boot, default   >> A:\CONFIG.SYS
Echo MenuItem=CD,Diskette boot, with CD  >> A:\Config.sys
Echo MenuItem=Debug,Diskette boot, clean start >> A:\Config.sys
Echo Me*fault-Def,10   >> A:\Config.sys
Echo. >> A:\Config.sys
Echo [Def]  >> A:\Config.sys
Echo Device=A:\HiMem.sys  >> A:\Config.sys
Echo Device=A:\Emm386.exe NoEMS  >> A:\Config.sys
Echo DOS=High,UMB  >> A:\Config.sys
Echo.  >> A:\Config.sys
Echo [CD]  >> A:\Config.sys
Echo Include Def  >> A:\Config.sys
Echo DeviceHigh=A:\%CDDrv% /D:CD1 >> A:\Config.sys
Echo. >> A:\Config.sys
Echo [Debug]  >> A:\Config.sys
Echo DOS=NoAuto  >> A:\Config.sys

Echo Prompt [A:%%Config%%] $p$g >> A:\AutoExec.bat
Echo GoTo %%Config%%  >> A:\AutoExec.bat
Echo. >> A:\AutoExec.bat
Echo :CD >> A:\AutoExec.bat
Echo LH A:\MSCDEx /D:CD1 >> A:\AutoExec.bat
Echo :Def >> A:\AutoExec.bat
Echo LH A:\SmartDrv A- B- >> A:\AutoExec.bat
Echo LH DOSKey /Insert >> A:\AutoExec.bat
Echo :Debug  >> A:\AutoExec.bat
A:
Copy %WinDir%\HiMem.sys
Copy %WinDir%\Emm386.exe
Copy %CDPath%%CDDrv%
Copy %WinDir%\Command\MSCDEx.exe
Copy %WinDir%\SmartDrv.exe
Copy %WinDir%\Command\DOSKey.com
Copy %WinDir%\Command\Edit.com
Copy %WinDir%\Command\FDisk.exe
Copy %WinDir%\Command\Format.com
Copy %WinDir%\Command\Sys.com
Copy %WinDir%\Command\FC.*
Copy %WinDir%\Command\Attrib.exe
Copy %WinDir%\Command\ScanDisk.exe
Copy %WinDir%\Regedit.exe
Attrib -r -h -s C:\MSDOS.SYS
Copy C:\MSDOS.sys A:\MSDOS.GUI
Attrib +r +h +s C:\MSDOS.SYS
Echo.
Echo OK?
Echo.
GoTo End

:Help
Echo.
Echo Make-BD makes a boot diskette.  Syntax...
Echo.
Echo Make-BD  CDDrv  CDPath
Echo.
Echo ...where the optional parameters are:
Echo.
Echo CDDrv    Name of CD .sys driver (default AOATAPI.SYS)
Echo CDPath   Path to CD driver with trailling "\" (default C:\)
Echo.

:End

Quote:>--------------- ----- ---- --- -- -  -    -

Error Messages Are Your Friends
Quote:>--------------- ----- ---- --- -- -  -    -

1. I need MVP to answer me

Can't you just remove the everyone group, from the c: drive and add the
authenticated users or domain users group, with read permissions and the
admin group with full control and the system user with full control (so you
don't get page file problems)
on the winnt directory you could also add write permissions to the domain
users, I find this useful. if you need to you can give them modify
permissions (I have to for a piece of software) and then under the advanced
button take out the delete option.
and also give them write and execute permissions over the program files
folder.
this way they will be able to access all programs, and not delete any system
files from the root or winnt directories.
HTH
Stuart
P.S. why do you need an MVP to answer you?

2. TrueType Assembler

3. How to delete a static route from the Cisco 3600 router?

4. AMI flash BIOS update

5. I needs MVP to answer me

6. Formatting Floating Point Types

7. i need MVP to answer me