Breifcase icon

Post by Henr » Sun, 26 Nov 2000 09:47:51

I had previously deleted the briefcase, but now have a reason to use it.
Adding the file My Briefcase does not restore the icon, how can I do that?
-
Henry

an amazing picture
http://godzilla.secureforum.com/upload/forestfire.jpg

Breifcase icon

Post by Mikhail Zhili » Sun, 26 Nov 2000 09:59:08

Henry, right click Desktop and select:  New -- Briefcase.
--
Mikhail Zhilin (MVP MPS-D)
http://www.aha.ru/~mwz

>I had previously deleted the briefcase, but now have a reason to use it.
>Adding the file My Briefcase does not restore the icon, how can I do that?
>-
>Henry

>an amazing picture
>http://godzilla.secureforum.com/upload/forestfire.jpg

Breifcase icon

Post by Henr » Sun, 26 Nov 2000 04:00:00

I did that and the icon is a folder not a briefcase

--
Henry

> Henry, right click Desktop and select:  New -- Briefcase.
> --
> Mikhail Zhilin (MVP MPS-D)
> http://www.aha.ru/~mwz
> Sorry, no technical support by e-mail.
> Please reply to the newsgroups only.
> ======

> >I had previously deleted the briefcase, but now have a reason to use it.
> >Adding the file My Briefcase does not restore the icon, how can I do
that?
> >-
> >Henry

> >an amazing picture
> >http://godzilla.secureforum.com/upload/forestfire.jpg

Breifcase icon

Post by Henr » Sun, 26 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> (a) Does this folder have read-only attribute, as it has to be? If not
> -- set it.

It wasn't, once I set it I couldn't see the contents of the file in
Explorer, so I unset it, it had desktop.ini but without the  RunWizard=1
line
I added this line, set the attribute as read only and rebooted.

Icon still looks like a folder.
Double clicking on My Briefcase gives me the message "Internet Explorer was
unable to link to the Web page you requested. The page might be temporarily
unavailable"

Henry

Breifcase icon

Post by Mikhail Zhili » Mon, 27 Nov 2000 07:09:14

Henry,

(a) Does this folder have read-only attribute, as it has to be? If not
-- set it.

(b) Try to copy 4 lines below, paste in Notepad, press Enter at the end
of the last line and save as    desktop.ini    to this folder:

[.ShellClassInfo]
CLSID={85BBD920-42A0-1069-A2E4-08002B30309D}
ConfirmFileOp=0
RunWizard=1

If read-only attribute is already set, and if you'll get the message
that this file already exists -- then something else is wrong (most
likely with this CLSID in the Registry).
--
Mikhail Zhilin (MVP MPS-D)
http://www.aha.ru/~mwz
Sorry, no technical support by e-mail.
Please reply to the newsgroups only.
======

>I did that and the icon is a folder not a briefcase

>--
>Henry

>> Henry, right click Desktop and select:  New -- Briefcase.
>> --
>> Mikhail Zhilin (MVP MPS-D)
>> http://www.aha.ru/~mwz
>> Sorry, no technical support by e-mail.
>> Please reply to the newsgroups only.
>> ======

>> >I had previously deleted the briefcase, but now have a reason to use it.
>> >Adding the file My Briefcase does not restore the icon, how can I do
>that?

Breifcase icon

Post by Kell » Mon, 27 Nov 2000 15:21:47

Hi all,

Henry....

Your initial problem may have a connection to Windows update, however your
latter one may have to do with Active Desktop.

If you are using the Windows Desktop Update component, Desktop.ini files
are created in customized folders.  And the folder displayed may not be the
appropriate folder as Mikhail has mentioned and instructed is the
appropriate fix.

This error : Internet Explorer was unable to link to the Web page you
requested. The page might be temporarily unavailable.

A possible workaround: Save your local Web Archive file as "Web Page,
Complete (*.htm, *.html)", and then configure your Active Desktop to display
this file.

If you are using profiles check the path:  If wrong, it will deem an error
which results in not gaining access to the briefcase.

<username> is the name you use to log on to Windows 95/98.

In reference to Q199052:

1. When you view the My Briefcase icon, the icon may appear to be a folder
     icon.
2. This problem can occur if you delete My Briefcase and then restore it
from the
    Recycle Bin.
3. To work around this problem if you delete My Briefcase, right-click the
    desktop, point to New, and then click Briefcase.

So your fix should have been simple.  Did you perhaps make a change in the
registry?  Start/Run/Regedit

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\Deskto
p\NameSpace\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}

Or maybe even a cosmetic one:  Registry Settings:

Key:
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}\DefaultIcon]

Value Name: (Default), Empty, Full
Data Type: REG_SZ (String Value)
Data: Path to Icon File

WARNING: Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that
may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot
guarantee that problems resulting from the incorrect use of Registry Editor
can be solved. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.
~~~
When you are viewing the directory listing for the root folder of a hard
disk with Windows Explorer, you may see a Recycled Folder icon instead of
the Recycle Bin icon.

This behavior can occur if the Desktop.ini file has been removed from the
Recycled folder. This can occur if you select the "Delete unnecessary files
from the Recycle Bin" option in the Windows 98 Maintenance Wizard.

To resolve this issue, remove the Recycle Bin from the Disk Cleanup settings
in the Maintenance Wizard

Click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools,
and then click Maintenance Wizard.

Click Change my maintenance settings or schedule, and then click OK.

Continue through the wizard until you reach the Delete Unnecessary Files
page. On that page, click Settings.

Click to clear the Recycle Bin check box, and then proceed to the end of the
wizard.

NOTE: Even if you do not follow these steps, the Recycle Bin icon is
restored the next time you delete a file and then empty the Recycle Bin.

Best of Luck,
Kelly

Quote:> > (a) Does this folder have read-only attribute, as it has to be? If not
> > -- set it.
> It wasn't, once I set it I couldn't see the contents of the file in
> Explorer, so I unset it, it had desktop.ini but without the  RunWizard=1
> line
> I added this line, set the attribute as read only and rebooted.

> Icon still looks like a folder.
> Double clicking on My Briefcase gives me the message "Internet Explorer
was
> unable to link to the Web page you requested. The page might be
temporarily
> unavailable"

> Henry

Breifcase icon

Post by Henr » Mon, 27 Nov 2000 04:00:00

The last thing I tried last night was Control panel/add-remove
software/Windows setup/Accesories. There was an unchecked box for Briefcase,
I checked it.  At the time it seemed to make no difference.  If fact I went
back to uncheck it and there was no longer a box for the option my
briefcase.  I did everything below and when I made My Briefcase read only,
it suddenly changed inot a briefcase Icon!  It now works, for further
details read on.

Quote:>snip

Don't know what Window Deskop Update Component, but it would only fail to
open when it was a read only file

Quote:> Your initial problem may have a connection to Windows update, however your
> latter one may have to do with Active Desktop.

NOT using active desktop

 > If you are using the Windows Desktop Update component, Desktop.ini files

Quote:> are created in customized folders.

Not sure what WDU component is

Quote:> This error : Internet Explorer was unable to link to the Web page you
> requested. The page might be temporarily unavailable.

This only happened when I would make it a READ only file.

Quote:> A possible workaround: Save your local Web Archive file as "Web Page,
> Complete (*.htm, *.html)", and then configure your Active Desktop to
display
> this file.

> If you are using profiles check the path:  If wrong, it will deem an error
> which results in not gaining access to the briefcase.

> <username> is the name you use to log on to Windows 95/98.

Didn't do any of this

Quote:>snip.
> 2. This problem can occur if you delete My Briefcase and then restore >

it  from the   Recycle Bin.

I did not do this, I created a new desktop file, BUT I initially named it
only Briefcase

Quote:>Did you perhaps make a change in the
> registry?  Start/Run/Regedit

NOPE but read  on

The following was OK
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\Deskto

Quote:> p\NameSpace\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}

> Or maybe even a cosmetic one:  Registry Settings:

This Key's default value name was the Recycle Bin as it should have been and
not what I had problems with
Quote:> Key:
> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}\> >

Breifcase icon

Post by Kell » Mon, 27 Nov 2000 04:00:00

All sounds good, Henry.

Glad all is well,
Kelly

> The last thing I tried last night was Control panel/add-remove
> software/Windows setup/Accesories. There was an unchecked box for
Briefcase,
> I checked it.  At the time it seemed to make no difference.  If fact I
went
> back to uncheck it and there was no longer a box for the option my
> briefcase.  I did everything below and when I made My Briefcase read only,
> it suddenly changed inot a briefcase Icon!  It now works, for further
> details read on.

> >snip
> Don't know what Window Deskop Update Component, but it would only fail to
> open when it was a read only file

> > Your initial problem may have a connection to Windows update, however
your
> > latter one may have to do with Active Desktop.

> NOT using active desktop

>  > If you are using the Windows Desktop Update component, Desktop.ini
files
> > are created in customized folders.

> Not sure what WDU component is

> > This error : Internet Explorer was unable to link to the Web page you
> > requested. The page might be temporarily unavailable.
> This only happened when I would make it a READ only file.

> > A possible workaround: Save your local Web Archive file as "Web Page,
> > Complete (*.htm, *.html)", and then configure your Active Desktop to
> display
> > this file.

> > If you are using profiles check the path:  If wrong, it will deem an
error
> > which results in not gaining access to the briefcase.

> > <username> is the name you use to log on to Windows 95/98.

> Didn't do any of this

> >snip.
> > 2. This problem can occur if you delete My Briefcase and then restore >
> it  from the   Recycle Bin.

> I did not do this, I created a new desktop file, BUT I initially named it
> only Briefcase

> >Did you perhaps make a change in the
> > registry?  Start/Run/Regedit

> NOPE but read  on

> The following was OK

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\Deskto

Quote:> > p\NameSpace\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}

> > Or maybe even a cosmetic one:  Registry Settings:

> This Key's default value name was the Recycle Bin as it should have been
and
> not what I had problems with

> > Key:
> > [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}\> >

1. Breifcase synchronisation

Whenever I synchronise my briefcase (on laptop running
Win2K) to files on a server, on the next sync, many of the
files show up as modified on both laptop and server (and
hence a 'skip' action. This means I have to trawl through
a lot of files each time I sync to check what actions are
to take place.

None of the files have been modified and the update window
even shows them as having the same last modified date and
time.

Any suggestions? Preference would be to force the files on
the laptop to replace server files.

Please reply to my email.

Thanks in advance
Roger Forrester

2. TT prices

3. breifcase

4. 3com cellplex7000 to a cisco 7507

5. Breifcase & Direct Cable Connection

6. IndexFromPoint in ListBox

7. Breifcase Eat All my resorses During Update

8. PPP problem (long)

9. I lost gif and htm associations and icons as well as connection icon in taskbar

10. Icon file's icon...

11. Recycle bin icon will not display "empty" or "full" icons

12. Corrupt Icons (All icons)

13. File association - icon stuck w/ WordPad icon