* PLEASE post all messages and replies to the newsgroup so all may
* benefit from the discussion. Private mail is usually not replied to.
Help US help YOU ... http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
Quote:> I just upgraded to XP, and now my machine wont even boot
> up. I was in the process of updating when the program
> said it needed to reboot, I waited for this to happen for
> about 20min and nothing happened. I turned off the
> computer, and booted back up, and I get a message to
> continue install, cancel install, or press F8 to go to
> more options (safe mode, safe mode with DOS prompt,
> etc). I have tried all of these options, including
> putting the "recovery" disk in the CD drive, NOTHING
> happens. I get a blank screen and the computer never
> boots up. Any idea how to fix a computer that was woking
> ok untill this?!?! I dont know what to do now. If the
> recovery cd doesnt work what can I do?
Boot the WinXP CD and start a repair install (steps below). It sounds like (as Hugh suspects) there is an incompatible bit of hardware. You will need your Product Key.
1. Insert the Windows XP CD into your computer's CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive.
2. Restart your computer. If you have to, change the BIOS settings to start from
the CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive, and then restart your computer again.
3. At the "Welcome to Setup" page, press ENTER.
4. Press F8 to accept the Licensing Agreement.
5. Use the arrow keys to select the installation of Windows XP that you want to
repair, and then press R to start the automatic repair process.
6. When Setup is completed, activate Windows XP.
If this doesn't help, then you may need to begin removing unnecessary hardware to isolate the problem.
Best of Luck,
Rick Rogers aka "Nutcase" MS-MVP - Win9x - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Associate Expert - WinXP - Expert Zone - www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Win98 Help - www.rickrogers.org
Please reply only to newsgroup...
1. Problems with boot.ini file in XP, computer won't boot
I did a really stupid thing. I installed Win XP as an upgrade on a Win98
disc in a seperate folder. For some reason the Win XP thought that my hard
disc was corrupted and refused progress any further. When I booted again, I
found that I could dual boot and my Win 98 system worked fine. Stupidly, I
moved the boot.ini file to another directory so now I can't boot at all.
When I boot into repair mode, the command line console won't allow me to
copy the boot.ini files back to the root directory. I keep getting the
message "access denied".
Is there any way I can trick the machine into starting up DOS in Win98?
I've tried using a Win98 recovery disc but it just boots into Win XP anyway.
Any help appreciated, not looking forward to a clean install of Win 98
2. Bizarre shark fin shaped cable modems -- any practical reason for it?
3. Win NT to Win 2k -- 'upgrade' or 'new install'?
5. can't boot 2K after XP upgrade
7. Office XP won't run after upgrade to Win2K
9. Dual boot Win 98/Win 2000: Win 98 won't restart or shut down
10. Win 2000 Pro Client ---> Win XP Pro ICS Host won't route.
12. Win won't boot after uninstalling Boot Magic
13. XP Pro Won't Boot - Need to Preserve Encrypted Files