hd and cdrom access lights going every 2 secs

hd and cdrom access lights going every 2 secs

Post by Marcus Holm » Thu, 01 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hi All,

                    Rather strange problem here. I just formatted and installed Windows 98 SE on
                    one of my machines. All of the sudden something strange has started
                    happening. Like every 3 seconds the hard drive and one of my cd-rom drive
                    lights goes one for about half a second. They don't make any noise, the lights
                    just go on and then off. Then about every 2 mins or so, my other cd drive (the
                    cdr) gets accessed and the whole computer freezes for about 3 seconds while
                    it accesses it and then stops. I can then use the machine for another 2 mins
                    or so and it accesses the cdr again. Very odd.

                    Never had these problems with the previous version of windows, they just
                    started happening. Any ideas at all? The hard drives are two IBM 4.0 gig SCSI
                    drives connected to an Adaptec 2040UW with a JVC CD-R (SCSI) and a JVC
                    CD-ROM (24x SCSI).

                    Any ideas would be helpful, thank you!

                    Marcus

--

Marcus Holmes

http://www.nitrogen.org

hd and cdrom access lights going every 2 secs

Post by Walter Clayto » Thu, 01 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Two things typically will cause this. Either an anti-virus program or
FindFast. Are you running either and if it's an AV program, which one?

--
Walter Clayton
 Zone id: Dr_Doom_Ky

>Hi All,

>                    Rather strange problem here. I just formatted and

installed Windows 98 SE on
Quote:>                    one of my machines. All of the sudden something strange
has started
>                    happening. Like every 3 seconds the hard drive and one
of my cd-rom drive
>                    lights goes one for about half a second. They don't

make any noise, the lights
Quote:>                    just go on and then off. Then about every 2 mins or so,

my other cd drive (the
Quote:>                    cdr) gets accessed and the whole computer freezes for

about 3 seconds while
Quote:>                    it accesses it and then stops. I can then use the

machine for another 2 mins
Quote:>                    or so and it accesses the cdr again. Very odd.

>                    Never had these problems with the previous version of
windows, they just
>                    started happening. Any ideas at all? The hard drives

are two IBM 4.0 gig SCSI
>                    drives connected to an Adaptec 2040UW with a JVC CD-R
(SCSI) and a JVC
>                    CD-ROM (24x SCSI).

>                    Any ideas would be helpful, thank you!

>                    Marcus

>--

>Marcus Holmes

>http://www.nitrogen.org

hd and cdrom access lights going every 2 secs

Post by Marcus Holm » Thu, 01 Jul 1999 04:00:00

: Two things typically will cause this. Either an anti-virus program or
: FindFast. Are you running either and if it's an AV program, which one?

Ah, I am running McAfee's Virus Scan on that computer. It's the newest one - I downloaded it from
beyond.com about 2 months ago. I don't remember having this problem with McAfee before the format
though. That's odd.

Marcus

--

Marcus Holmes

http://www.nitrogen.org

hd and cdrom access lights going every 2 secs

Post by Walter Clayto » Thu, 01 Jul 1999 04:00:00

McAfee could very well be what's doing it. Disable background scans
temporarily and see if the problem goes away.

--
Walter Clayton
 Zone id: Dr_Doom_Ky

>: Two things typically will cause this. Either an anti-virus program or
>: FindFast. Are you running either and if it's an AV program, which one?

>Ah, I am running McAfee's Virus Scan on that computer. It's the newest

one - I downloaded it from
Quote:>beyond.com about 2 months ago. I don't remember having this problem with

McAfee before the format
>though. That's odd.

>Marcus

>--

>Marcus Holmes

>http://www.nitrogen.org

hd and cdrom access lights going every 2 secs

Post by Richard G. Harpe » Thu, 01 Jul 1999 04:00:00

This is an easy one.  Windows is testing your CDROM to see if you've
inserted a disc into the drive, and if the hard drive is on the same
controller channel as the CDROM then you'll get a flash there too.

Use TweakUI to turn off auto-insert notification for your CDROM drive and
your flashes should dissappear.  If you do this, you may lose autoplay of CD
discs.

You might have to reinstall your SCSI drivers - Windows 98SE has a bad habit
of replacing good, working drivers such as hard drive/SCSI/busmastering
devices with its own internal drivers that don't work as well.

--

EMail questions may not be replied to.  Please post all replies
in the newsgroup for the benefit of all.

Quote:> Hi All,

Post by Marcus Holm » Thu, 08 Jul 1999 04:00:00

: McAfee could very well be what's doing it. Disable background scans
: temporarily and see if the problem goes away.

Nope, tried that, problem still exists.

I've noticed that the intermittent freezing has ceased. The HD and CDROM lights still go on every 2
seconds though.

Marcus

--

Marcus Holmes

http://www.nitrogen.org

hd and cdrom access lights going every 2 secs

Post by Richard G. Harpe » Thu, 08 Jul 1999 04:00:00

This is a side effect of having auto-insert notification enabled.  If you
have your CD and hard drive on the same channel they both light up.  If the
CD is on its own channel then only it will flash.  You can disable
auto-insert but then you also lose autoplay for CDs and data discs so it's
best just to learn to ignore it.  :-)

--

EMail questions may not be replied to.  Please post all replies
in the newsgroup for the benefit of all.

> : McAfee could very well be what's doing it. Disable background scans
> : temporarily and see if the problem goes away.

> Nope, tried that, problem still exists.

> I've noticed that the intermittent freezing has ceased. The HD and CDROM

lights still go on every 2
> seconds though.

> Marcus

> --

> Marcus Holmes

> http://www.nitrogen.org

1. system freezes every 3/4 sec

I've got a nice problem here.
I've configured 4 identical laptops with W2k pro and all
extra software needed.
The problem I have now is that the system freezes every 3
or 4 seconds and goes on.
If I look in the task manager/Performance the CPU usage
bar jumps up to 35% systematically (3/4 sec).
Looking at the processes, there's nothing specifically
running that would cause this. I've clean everything from
the startup menu and also lots of unneeded agents from
different tools that did startup in the background.
Also, I've disabled a lot of Services that weren't needed.
The problem keeps coming. In save mode is doesn't!!!
What's the difference? I've also uninstalled all the
drivers to check if that would change a thing. NOPE.
Finally, I uninstalled all the company's software...and
gess what, that didn't help either!!!!
I've looked in diffrent forums and found out of the most
answers that the only solution would be reinstalling the
whole thing, OS and all.
I don't find this a good solution, it's just a workaround.

Can someone help me out with this one?

Thx,
Patrique

2. XML Interface

3. DCOM Eventid 10010 every 30 sec. on 10 srv w2k

4. Difficulties with OPENMP

5. ID 1010 every 10 sec.

6. Mutilhoming with Win2K

7. Win2K Server SP2 Beeping every 5 sec

8. the incredible shrinking columns

9. New printer in TS server causes Event 20 every 2 sec

10. Access to cdrom and floppy / zugriff auf cdrom und floppy

11. BINLSVC Information every 30 sec

12. Floppy Drive light comes on every couple of minutes

13. W 98 Hangs for 3-5 Sec. Every 10 Min.