Reading a Different Registry File

Post by Marcus Smab » Thu, 17 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I have a copy of the registry I made prior to a system crash. It has some
information I need. Is there a way to use regedit to open a copy of an old
registery?

Thanks

Marcus

Reading a Different Registry File

Post by Patty MacDuffi » Thu, 17 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I believe the exported registry files are just text files.  Open
with wordpad or whatever, locate the key you want, copy to another
file and save it as a .reg file.  Then just double-click it and it
will be merged with the current registry.
Patty

>I have a copy of the registry I made prior to a system crash. It
has some
>information I need. Is there a way to use regedit to open a copy of
an old
>registery?

>Thanks

>Marcus

Reading a Different Registry File

Post by Marcus Smab » Fri, 18 Sep 1998 04:00:00

In this case I am trying to get info out of a copy of the user.dat or
system.dat file that I saved in a backup directory

Quote:>I believe the exported registry files are just text files.  Open
>with wordpad or whatever, locate the key you want, copy to another
>file and save it as a .reg file.  Then just double-click it and it
>will be merged with the current registry.
>Patty

Reading a Different Registry File

Post by Patty MacDuffi » Fri, 18 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Hmmm... those are binary files.  Other than restoring those, I don't
think there's any way.
Patty

>In this case I am trying to get info out of a copy of the user.dat
or
>system.dat file that I saved in a backup directory

>>I believe the exported registry files are just text files.  Open
>>with wordpad or whatever, locate the key you want, copy to another
>>file and save it as a .reg file.  Then just double-click it and it
>>will be merged with the current registry.
>>Patty

Reading a Different Registry File

Post by cqui.. » Sat, 19 Sep 1998 04:00:00

On Wed, 16 Sep 1998 22:28:38 -0700, "Patty MacDuffie"

>I believe the exported registry files are just text files.

Sure.  But that's not what this is about.

>>I have a copy of the registry I made prior to a system crash. It
>>has some information I need. Is there a way to use regedit to
>>open a copy of an old registery?

No (and I hope someone can prove me wrong) RegEdit is too brain dead
to open any registry files on a local machine for interactive editing,
except the "real" ones.

What you can do is:

1)  Get to DOS mode ("Specify a new..." or F8, Command prompt only)
2)  Rename active registry files to something else
3)  Copy target registry files over and rename as active
4)  Use RegEdit with appropriate parms to export entire registry
5)  Retrace steps (2) through (3)

Use RegEdit /? for parameter help; you can re-direct it this way to
another location for the registry files but I think they still have to
be called SYSTEM.DAT and USER.DAT however.