Backing up hard drive using a CD-RW drive.

Backing up hard drive using a CD-RW drive.

Post by Harry » Mon, 14 Feb 2000 04:00:00



You need software that is capable of doing this. The backup program from the
Accessories->System Tools is a lite version and can not burn to a CD. There
are several programs which can do this. Adaptec's Take Two which is bundled
with Easy CD Creator 4, Nero 4.075 has an option to backup your Hard Drive,
NTI Backup is another and the full version of Seagate Backup will also do th
is.
Here are some links to get you started. If the links are truncated just copy
and paste them to your browser. My version of OLE is acting up a bit and cho
pping off words.
http://www.adaptec.com/products/overview/taketwo.html
http://www.ntius.com/downback.htm
http://www.ahead.de/en/Index2.htm

--

Harry Ohrn
http://newlife-win98.server101.com



Quote:> I would like to know how to use Windows 98 Second Edition's  Microsoft's
> Backup Program using a HP CD-Writer Plus 7570 to make a complete backup of
> my hard drive which is about 10GB on a either a CD-RW disk or CD-R disk
> using compression or having a CD-RW disc for both total backup &
> incramental backup of files that are changed &\or updated. Can you help
> me. My system is a Compaq Presario 5360 Multimedia Internet computer
> running a Compatable Pentium II chip running at 450 Mhz with 64MB RAM
> using MMX, Active X, & Direct X-7a Graphics & sound & Using a Super VGA,
> SIS 550 Video card & a Pixie 550 Monitor & Stereo Speakers. Also running
> Windows 98 SE & I.E. 5.01 & accessing the internet with Freei Network.

> --
> Posted via CNET Help.com
> http://www.help.com/

 
 
 

Backing up hard drive using a CD-RW drive.

Post by David Wayne Altof » Tue, 15 Feb 2000 04:00:00


I would like to know how to use Windows 98 Second Edition's  Microsoft's
Backup Program using a HP CD-Writer Plus 7570 to make a complete backup of
my hard drive which is about 10GB on a either a CD-RW disk or CD-R disk
using compression or having a CD-RW disc for both total backup &
incramental backup of files that are changed &\or updated. Can you help
me. My system is a Compaq Presario 5360 Multimedia Internet computer
running a Compatable Pentium II chip running at 450 Mhz with 64MB RAM
using MMX, Active X, & Direct X-7a Graphics & sound & Using a Super VGA,
SIS 550 Video card & a Pixie 550 Monitor & Stereo Speakers. Also running
Windows 98 SE & I.E. 5.01 & accessing the internet with Freei Network.

--
Posted via CNET Help.com
http://www.help.com/

 
 
 

Backing up hard drive using a CD-RW drive.

Post by David Pickl » Tue, 15 Feb 2000 04:00:00


Aw no... is this really right?  I have just fitted a CD-RW drive for
the main purpose of keeping my HD backed up, and had intended to use MS-
Backup.  So in effect, is the MS (Seagate) version useless, and I have
to go out and buy more software?  This is crazy.

In fact yesterday I tried to use MS-Backup with my new CD drive, and
had created a 500Mb .qic file on a CD, but was unable to figure out how
to restore a file from it: is that the problem?

My CD-RW includes a bundled back up software, but it will only deal
with a folder at a time, which is a complete pain.

Comments??

Thanks
David



Quote:> You need software that is capable of doing this. The backup program
from the
> Accessories->System Tools is a lite version and can not burn to a CD.

[...]

> --

> Harry Ohrn
> http://newlife-win98.server101.com




> > I would like to know how to use Windows 98 Second Edition's
Microsoft's
> > Backup Program using a HP CD-Writer Plus 7570 to make a complete
backup of
> > my hard drive which is about 10GB on a either a CD-RW disk or CD-R

disk

[...]

--
-------
Please delete the obvious antispam measure if replying
direct by e-mail... sorry for any inconvenience

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

 
 
 

Backing up hard drive using a CD-RW drive.

Post by Richard G. Harpe » Tue, 15 Feb 2000 04:00:00


Yes, that's right.  Some CD-R/CD-RW drives come with software that lets your
CD burner be assigned a drive letter, in which case you can back up directly
to your burner.  But unless you have this software, you can't.  You can make
a backup to hard drive, then burn the backup to a CD-R disc - Backup will
happily restore from such a backup, it just won't create one.  :-(

--

* NOTE - Private EMail is generally not replied to.  So that all may
* benefit, post all questions and replies in the newsgroup, please!
* Help US help YOU ... http://members.home.com/mvp-l/goodpost.htm


> Aw no... is this really right?  I have just fitted a CD-RW drive for
> the main purpose of keeping my HD backed up, and had intended to use MS-
> Backup.  So in effect, is the MS (Seagate) version useless, and I have
> to go out and buy more software?  This is crazy.

> In fact yesterday I tried to use MS-Backup with my new CD drive, and
> had created a 500Mb .qic file on a CD, but was unable to figure out how
> to restore a file from it: is that the problem?

> My CD-RW includes a bundled back up software, but it will only deal
> with a folder at a time, which is a complete pain.

> Comments??

> Thanks
> David



> > You need software that is capable of doing this. The backup program
> from the
> > Accessories->System Tools is a lite version and can not burn to a CD.

> [...]

> > --

> > Harry Ohrn
> > http://newlife-win98.server101.com




> > > I would like to know how to use Windows 98 Second Edition's
> Microsoft's
> > > Backup Program using a HP CD-Writer Plus 7570 to make a complete
> backup of
> > > my hard drive which is about 10GB on a either a CD-RW disk or CD-R
> disk

> [...]

> --
> -------
> Please delete the obvious antispam measure if replying
> direct by e-mail... sorry for any inconvenience

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

 
 
 

Backing up hard drive using a CD-RW drive.

Post by Ron Maxe » Tue, 15 Feb 2000 04:00:00


David:

The Win98 backup program will write to a CD-R or CD-RW that has been
formatted with DirectCD or some other program that allows CD's to be written
to from any program. However, I find the results mixed. Quite often, the
backup program will hang before writing the full CD. Even if a full CD is
successfully completed, there are other problems:

1) You can't do a full backup of your C: drive from within Windows using
Win98 or any other Windows-based backup software. Some files are in use and
can't be copied. It's necessary to copy and restore from DOS to do a
complete backup and recovery. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will
correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's the case.

2) The Win98 backup program will not span media, be it CD or any other type
media. And it's doubtful you can do a complete backup on a single CD, even
compressed.

3) A CD formatted with DirectCD can only be read in certain CD-ROM drives
that support the DirectCD format. Therefore, you would need to reinstall the
DirectCD software before you could read the disc to restore the backup.
Again, I assume others will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure
it's this way with DirectCD and probably similar formats that support
writing from any program.


> Aw no... is this really right?  I have just fitted a CD-RW drive for
> the main purpose of keeping my HD backed up, and had intended to use MS-
> Backup.  So in effect, is the MS (Seagate) version useless, and I have
> to go out and buy more software?  This is crazy.

> In fact yesterday I tried to use MS-Backup with my new CD drive, and
> had created a 500Mb .qic file on a CD, but was unable to figure out how
> to restore a file from it: is that the problem?

> My CD-RW includes a bundled back up software, but it will only deal
> with a folder at a time, which is a complete pain.

> Comments??

> Thanks
> David



> > You need software that is capable of doing this. The backup program
> from the
> > Accessories->System Tools is a lite version and can not burn to a CD.

> [...]

> > --

> > Harry Ohrn
> > http://newlife-win98.server101.com




> > > I would like to know how to use Windows 98 Second Edition's
> Microsoft's
> > > Backup Program using a HP CD-Writer Plus 7570 to make a complete
> backup of
> > > my hard drive which is about 10GB on a either a CD-RW disk or CD-R
> disk

> [...]

> --
> -------
> Please delete the obvious antispam measure if replying
> direct by e-mail... sorry for any inconvenience

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

 
 
 

Backing up hard drive using a CD-RW drive.

Post by Mark Lloy » Tue, 15 Feb 2000 04:00:00


In #1 below:
I agree. I use Ghost (from DOS, not Windows pretending to be DOS) to make image
files on a second hard disk using the command-line switch: split=649 .Im not
going to use packet writing, so the whole CD is available. I then restart
Windows and make CD-RW(s) from the image file(s) (no DirectCD). I have Ghost
copied to a bootable floppy (with CD support). To restore this on a clean disk I
boot from the floppy and can read the disks from DOS.

In #3 below:
 Some CD drives cannot read CD-RW. This has nothing to do with using DirectCD,
other packet-writing software, of if the CD-RW is written to like any CD-R. If
the drive cannot read a CD-RW, NO software can help. Sorry if I repeat this too
much, it seems to be a common form of confusion.


>David:

>The Win98 backup program will write to a CD-R or CD-RW that has been
>formatted with DirectCD or some other program that allows CD's to be written
>to from any program. However, I find the results mixed. Quite often, the
>backup program will hang before writing the full CD. Even if a full CD is
>successfully completed, there are other problems:

>1) You can't do a full backup of your C: drive from within Windows using
>Win98 or any other Windows-based backup software. Some files are in use and
>can't be copied. It's necessary to copy and restore from DOS to do a
>complete backup and recovery. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will
>correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's the case.

>2) The Win98 backup program will not span media, be it CD or any other type
>media. And it's doubtful you can do a complete backup on a single CD, even
>compressed.

>3) A CD formatted with DirectCD can only be read in certain CD-ROM drives
>that support the DirectCD format. Therefore, you would need to reinstall the
>DirectCD software before you could read the disc to restore the backup.
>Again, I assume others will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure
>it's this way with DirectCD and probably similar formats that support
>writing from any program.



>> Aw no... is this really right?  I have just fitted a CD-RW drive for
>> the main purpose of keeping my HD backed up, and had intended to use MS-
>> Backup.  So in effect, is the MS (Seagate) version useless, and I have
>> to go out and buy more software?  This is crazy.

>> In fact yesterday I tried to use MS-Backup with my new CD drive, and
>> had created a 500Mb .qic file on a CD, but was unable to figure out how
>> to restore a file from it: is that the problem?

>> My CD-RW includes a bundled back up software, but it will only deal
>> with a folder at a time, which is a complete pain.

>> Comments??

>> Thanks
>> David



>> > You need software that is capable of doing this. The backup program
>> from the
>> > Accessories->System Tools is a lite version and can not burn to a CD.

>> [...]

>> > --

>> > Harry Ohrn
>> > http://newlife-win98.server101.com




>> > > I would like to know how to use Windows 98 Second Edition's
>> Microsoft's
>> > > Backup Program using a HP CD-Writer Plus 7570 to make a complete
>> backup of
>> > > my hard drive which is about 10GB on a either a CD-RW disk or CD-R
>> disk

>> [...]

>> --
>> -------
>> Please delete the obvious antispam measure if replying
>> direct by e-mail... sorry for any inconvenience

>> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>> Before you buy.

 
 
 

Backing up hard drive using a CD-RW drive.

Post by D. Schmid » Wed, 16 Feb 2000 04:00:00



> I use Veritas Backup Exec, and very easily did a full backup of my hard
> drive using CD-RW's...

> The trick was not to format the Rewritable CD's ahead of time... And Veritas
> Backup copied all the files there.. even allowed me to "span" the CD's.

> I used 7 rewritables for about 6 gig of data, programs and the operating
> system.

That sounds like a good program.  Is it menu driven with the capability
to delete folders from the backup?  Example: I have GoBack which is a
backup itself.  It's data file is about 2GB now and I certainly don't
want to waste good CD space backing up that.  I also have over 1GB on
MP3 music which is already backed up which I wouldn't want to backup.

Can the program be accessed from DOS in case of a disaster that prevents
you from getting into Windows?
--
Darrell R. Schmidt

B-58 Hustler History: http://members.home.net/dschmidt1/

 
 
 

Backing up hard drive using a CD-RW drive.

Post by Ron Knight » Wed, 16 Feb 2000 04:00:00


OK, You may go deeper into the complexities than I do.

It is a "Windows program," meaning that it has nice menus, and even a great
Wizard for anything you want to do.

It also allows you to choose what you want to backup. You can choose
"incremental," total, whatever.

That ought to be enough to give you a clue if it would fit your needs.

The only thing I could say is that it is likely to be too darned confusing
to have several different types of backup.

My CD Writer came with some program that would in essence do that. But I
never understood the program and didn't like it.

So I scrapped it.

Then I sent to Egghead for Seagate Backup Exec. They had already sold it to
Veritas... and there was a free upgrade to the new Veritas Backup Exec.



> > I use Veritas Backup Exec, and very easily did a full backup of my hard
> > drive using CD-RW's...

> > The trick was not to format the Rewritable CD's ahead of time... And
Veritas
> > Backup copied all the files there.. even allowed me to "span" the CD's.

> > I used 7 rewritables for about 6 gig of data, programs and the operating
> > system.

> That sounds like a good program.  Is it menu driven with the capability
> to delete folders from the backup?  Example: I have GoBack which is a
> backup itself.  It's data file is about 2GB now and I certainly don't
> want to waste good CD space backing up that.  I also have over 1GB on
> MP3 music which is already backed up which I wouldn't want to backup.

> Can the program be accessed from DOS in case of a disaster that prevents
> you from getting into Windows?
> --
> Darrell R. Schmidt

> B-58 Hustler History: http://members.home.net/dschmidt1/

 
 
 

Backing up hard drive using a CD-RW drive.

Post by Erni » Wed, 16 Feb 2000 04:00:00


Before anyone buys Veritas Backup Exec check if it's configured for your type drive.  I
have a Yamaha 6416 and it's not.

>I use Veritas Backup Exec, and very easily did a full backup of my hard
>drive using CD-RW's...

>The trick was not to format the Rewritable CD's ahead of time... And Veritas
>Backup copied all the files there.. even allowed me to "span" the CD's.

>I used 7 rewritables for about 6 gig of data, programs and the operating
>system.



>> David:

>> The Win98 backup program will write to a CD-R or CD-RW that has been
>> formatted with DirectCD or some other program that allows CD's to be
>written
>> to from any program. However, I find the results mixed. Quite often, the
>> backup program will hang before writing the full CD. Even if a full CD is
>> successfully completed, there are other problems:

>> 1) You can't do a full backup of your C: drive from within Windows using
>> Win98 or any other Windows-based backup software. Some files are in use
>and
>> can't be copied. It's necessary to copy and restore from DOS to do a
>> complete backup and recovery. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will
>> correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's the case.

>> 2) The Win98 backup program will not span media, be it CD or any other
>type
>> media. And it's doubtful you can do a complete backup on a single CD, even
>> compressed.

>> 3) A CD formatted with DirectCD can only be read in certain CD-ROM drives
>> that support the DirectCD format. Therefore, you would need to reinstall
>the
>> DirectCD software before you could read the disc to restore the backup.
>> Again, I assume others will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure
>> it's this way with DirectCD and probably similar formats that support
>> writing from any program.



>> > Aw no... is this really right?  I have just fitted a CD-RW drive for
>> > the main purpose of keeping my HD backed up, and had intended to use MS-
>> > Backup.  So in effect, is the MS (Seagate) version useless, and I have
>> > to go out and buy more software?  This is crazy.

>> > In fact yesterday I tried to use MS-Backup with my new CD drive, and
>> > had created a 500Mb .qic file on a CD, but was unable to figure out how
>> > to restore a file from it: is that the problem?

>> > My CD-RW includes a bundled back up software, but it will only deal
>> > with a folder at a time, which is a complete pain.

>> > Comments??

>> > Thanks
>> > David



>> > > You need software that is capable of doing this. The backup program
>> > from the
>> > > Accessories->System Tools is a lite version and can not burn to a CD.

>> > [...]

>> > > --

>> > > Harry Ohrn
>> > > http://newlife-win98.server101.com




>> > > > I would like to know how to use Windows 98 Second Edition's
>> > Microsoft's
>> > > > Backup Program using a HP CD-Writer Plus 7570 to make a complete
>> > backup of
>> > > > my hard drive which is about 10GB on a either a CD-RW disk or CD-R
>> > disk

>> > [...]

>> > --
>> > -------
>> > Please delete the obvious antispam measure if replying
>> > direct by e-mail... sorry for any inconvenience

>> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>> > Before you buy.

 
 
 

1. Back-up Hard Drive Using CD-RW

This may seem like a strange question for some, but not to
me. How do I back-up my hard drive using my CD-RW? I have
Nero for burning, but I don't have a clue as how to go
about backing up my drive. I have never burned a CD before
either. My kids know how to do that, not me. I don't have
anything really earth shattering on my computer, and I
have never backed it up, which my seems surprising to
some. But, I have never thought of it to be necessary. Now
I feel like I should try it. Can someone give me a clue as
what to do? I have a Compaq Presario Model 5151, running
windows 98. Thanks for any help anyone can give me.
KB

2. State diagrams and inheritance

3. Backing up using RW-CD ROM Drive

4. Distribute a Control

5. How to change the CD ROM and CD-RW to Y drive Z Drive

6. netgear DS104: hub or switch?

7. cd-rw drive working only as a normal cd drive

8. The Tape and Disk Backup portion of MS DOS 6.0-Opinions?

9. Computer will not recognize my CD-ROM, Zip Drive and my CD-RW drives, please help..

10. Disappearing dvd drive and cd-rw drive

11. Windows will not assign a drive letter to my cd-rw drive, please help.

12. Windows will not assign a drive letter to my CD-RW drive

13. drive letter access to CD-RW drive with Win98