Maximum usefull memory in Windows 98

Post by netloca.. » Thu, 30 Sep 1999 04:00:00

What is the maximum useful memory for Windows 98.

If I have a machine with 256MB of RAM and I am doing
a lot of graphic work will the extra memory over 64MB
be of any use?

Thanks

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Maximum usefull memory in Windows 98

Post by Richard G. Harpe » Thu, 30 Sep 1999 04:00:00

The best way to see how memory is being used on your system is to use the
System Monitor (Start/Run/SYSMON.EXE) and turn on the Memory Manager button
for Swapfile in Use.  If this figure stays pretty low then you are probably
getting the maximum benefit from the memory you already have installed and
installing more won't make much of a difference.

Some graphic programs use a different method of swapping information to and
from disk that won't be reported by SYSMON.  In those cases you might want
to contact the program's manufacturer and see if they have any advice on
adding more RAM to improve system performance.

Right off the bat, I'd say that if you already have 256mb of memory in your
system that you're not likely to see any improvement by adding more memory.
Windows will see and use whatever memory is properly installed in your
system.  There is no "64mb limit" on the memory that Windows will use.

--

* NOTE - Private Email messages are generally not replied to
* Please post all questions and comments in the newsgroups.

> What is the maximum useful memory for Windows 98.

> If I have a machine with 256MB of RAM and I am doing
> a lot of graphic work will the extra memory over 64MB
> be of any use?

> Thanks

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Maximum usefull memory in Windows 98

Post by Patty MacDuffi » Thu, 30 Sep 1999 04:00:00

It is not an issue with Windows 98 at all.  You're nowhere near Win98's
limit.  (Which I believe is 4 GBs.)  It is a chipset issue.  What
chipset do you have?  LX?  BX?
Patty

Quote:> What is the maximum useful memory for Windows 98.

> If I have a machine with 256MB of RAM and I am doing
> a lot of graphic work will the extra memory over 64MB
> be of any use?

> Thanks

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Maximum usefull memory in Windows 98

Post by Lee Chapell » Thu, 30 Sep 1999 04:00:00

256 is much smoother than 64 for that use. I wouldn't buy RAM right now
though, wait until the prices come back down..
--
Lee
MS MVP (DTS)

> What is the maximum useful memory for Windows 98.

> If I have a machine with 256MB of RAM and I am doing
> a lot of graphic work will the extra memory over 64MB
> be of any use?

> Thanks

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

1. WHat is the maximum amount of addressable Memory in Windows 98

If someone could answer this question, I would be extremely grateful... What
is the maximum of addressable memory for Windows 98 first edition...

Same question for Windows 98 Second Edition.

Same question for Windows 95...

If you have an answer, could you point me to a link that verifies the number

Thanks

2. Hardware information

3. What is the maximum addressable Memory for Windows 98?

4. Best drive for reading/writing?

5. Maximum memory useable in WIndows 98

6. Help Need!!! TOSHIBA 32X SCSI CDROM

7. Maximum memory size win 98 can work with

8. Stateless vs Stateful objects

9. Maximum memory addressed by Win 98

10. maximum memory supported by Win 98

11. Maximum Allowable Memory Win 98