Cannot create shortcuts in Windows Explorer - No Show Desktop icon - Cannot access My Documents.

Cannot create shortcuts in Windows Explorer - No Show Desktop icon - Cannot access My Documents.

Post by Louis-Philippe R » Mon, 17 Jan 2000 04:00:00

- Can't create shortcuts or new files in Windows Explorer
- No Show Desktop icon
- Cannot access My Documents from the desktop icon.
- Cannot access my Dialup shortcut from desktop icon

All these problems are present on 1 out of 4 boots of my Windows 98SE. The
only way to fix these, is to log off and log back.

Anybody as seen this problem.

Thanks in advance.
Lpr

Cannot create shortcuts in Windows Explorer - No Show Desktop icon - Cannot access My Documents.

Post by Sky Kin » Mon, 17 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Hi:

A strange combination of problems. <g>   Here are a few things I'd suggest
as basic troubleshooting chores:

1. Restart the computer and hold down the CTRL key to get to the boot menu.
Select Safe Mode Command Prompt Only to get a clean boot to a DOS prompt.
From the C:\ prompt type "c:\windows\command\scareg /fix" and press Enter.
Let that complete and then repeat the above command.

While at the C:\ prompt, type "dir *.swp /a /s /p" and press Enter.   Change
directory ("cd ......" ) to the reported locations and delete each one you
find.

Reboot the computer back into normal Win98 mode.

2. Within Windows, click Start/Run and at the entry type Scandskw and press
Enter.   Select your C: drive and let the program complete.   If Scandisk
does not complete (or keeps restarting), use MsConfig to disable all
starting programs on the Start Up tab; then try Scandisk again. {you will
need to restart the computer after making changes within MsConfig}

3. If, after the above steps, the problem persists, please post back with
answers to:

a. Does this system use multiple user profiles?
b. Is this system logging into a LAN?   If so, what type (if you know)?
c. Did these items work previously but just stopped working after adding new
software or hardware?   If so, details needed.   Especially if you attempted
to install new software and the installation failed at some point.

HTH

--

...Sky

MS MVP - DTS
===============

Quote:> - Can't create shortcuts or new files in Windows Explorer

Post by Gary Terhun » Mon, 17 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> 1. Restart the computer and hold down the CTRL key to get to the boot menu.
> Select Safe Mode Command Prompt Only to get a clean boot to a DOS prompt.
> From the C:\ prompt type "c:\windows\command\scareg /fix" and press Enter.
> Let that complete and then repeat the above command.

That's "scandisk /fix", with an N. (and no quotes, <g>.)

GAry

Cannot create shortcuts in Windows Explorer - No Show Desktop icon - Cannot access My Documents.

Post by Sky Kin » Mon, 17 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Hi:

Quote:> > 1. Restart the computer and hold down the CTRL key to get to the boot
menu.
> > Select Safe Mode Command Prompt Only to get a clean boot to a DOS
prompt.
> > From the C:\ prompt type "c:\windows\command\scareg /fix" and press
Enter.
> > Let that complete and then repeat the above command.
> That's "scandisk /fix", with an N. (and no quotes, <g>.)

Actually, it is "scanreg /fix" with an N   ...and the quotes don't hurt. <G>

I gotta learn to use that speel chucker someday. <<<chortle>>>

--

...Sky

MS MVP - DTS
===============

Cannot create shortcuts in Windows Explorer - No Show Desktop icon - Cannot access My Documents.

Post by Louis-Philippe R » Mon, 17 Jan 2000 04:00:00

I did those tests, including the whole Norton scans and my system is fine.
But, I still have this problem.

1. No I don't have multiple users.
2. I have and xDSL connection to the net using Winpoet
3. I can't pin-point any crash or software installation that crashed that my
have caused this problem. I have this problem for a couple of weeks now, so
it's to late to backtrack.

I just don't want to do ANOTHER clean install of Windows 98SE *grin*.

Thanks for your time.
Later.
lpr

> Hi:

> A strange combination of problems. <g>   Here are a few things I'd suggest
> as basic troubleshooting chores:

> 1. Restart the computer and hold down the CTRL key to get to the boot
menu.
> Select Safe Mode Command Prompt Only to get a clean boot to a DOS prompt.
> From the C:\ prompt type "c:\windows\command\scareg /fix" and press Enter.
> Let that complete and then repeat the above command.

> While at the C:\ prompt, type "dir *.swp /a /s /p" and press Enter.
Change
> directory ("cd ......" ) to the reported locations and delete each one you
> find.

> Reboot the computer back into normal Win98 mode.

> 2. Within Windows, click Start/Run and at the entry type Scandskw and
press
> Enter.   Select your C: drive and let the program complete.   If Scandisk
> does not complete (or keeps restarting), use MsConfig to disable all
> starting programs on the Start Up tab; then try Scandisk again. {you will
> need to restart the computer after making changes within MsConfig}

> 3. If, after the above steps, the problem persists, please post back with
> answers to:

> a. Does this system use multiple user profiles?
> b. Is this system logging into a LAN?   If so, what type (if you know)?
> c. Did these items work previously but just stopped working after adding
new
> software or hardware?   If so, details needed.   Especially if you
attempted
> to install new software and the installation failed at some point.

> HTH

> --

> ...Sky

> MS MVP - DTS
> ===============

> > - Can't create shortcuts or new files in Windows Explorer
> > - No Show Desktop icon
> > - Cannot access My Documents from the desktop icon.
> > - Cannot access my Dialup shortcut from desktop icon

> > All these problems are present on 1 out of 4 boots of my Windows 98SE.
The
> > only way to fix these, is to log off and log back.

Cannot create shortcuts in Windows Explorer - No Show Desktop icon - Cannot access My Documents.

Post by Sky Kin » Mon, 17 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Hi:

Probably easiest, and it won't involve a "clean install" at all.   Just
Install Win98 over top of your current system.   That may correct the errors
you see.

--

...Sky

MS MVP - DTS
===============

Quote:> I did those tests, including the whole Norton scans and my system is fine.
> But, I still have this problem.

> 1. No I don't have multiple users.
> 2. I have and xDSL connection to the net using Winpoet
> 3. I can't pin-point any crash or software installation that crashed that
my
> have caused this problem. I have this problem for a couple of weeks now,
so
> it's to late to backtrack.

> I just don't want to do ANOTHER clean install of Windows 98SE *grin*.

1. Missing My Documents icon in W2K (desktop and Windows Explorer)

I've scoured Technet and the internet (including
jsiinc.com) and have not found a way to recreate the shell
icon in W2K. I'm guessing the user deleted the icon -
didn't know they could do that. I've tried the steps
outlined for W98 (Q217764) but they don't work in W2K.
I've also tried installing Tweakui (2000) but it didn't
provide a way to fix this. I've tried repairing the folder
using the command rundll32 mydocs.dll,RestoreMyDocsFolder
but get back an error msg: RUNDLL: Error in mydocs.dll:
Missing entry:RepairMyDocsFolder. I've also tried
regsvr32 /i mydocs.dll but that didn't work. I scanned the
registry and all of the Personal ShellFolders are pointing
to her defined location for documents. This problem does
not exist for any other profile on this computer. Is the
only fix for this to delete her local profile and then let
one get created again?

2. Load balancing and view state

3. Cannot Log In to Windows because the profile cannot be loaded - Access Denied

4. Does performance increase if using swap on striped disks

5. Re-create My Documents icon (deleted from Desktop)

6. SelectedIndexChanged on DropDownList box not firing

7. Cannot access windows explorer, my computer, etc

8. comp.lang.awk FAQ

9. Cannot access Windows Explorer

10. Cannot add shortcuts to user desktops

11. Cannot Run Shortcuts from the Start Menu or from the Desktop

12. cannot run shortcuts from the start menu or from the desktop (MS article 172223)

13. "cannot create shortcuts" error when installing programs