?Reformat?

Post by cher » Thu, 09 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I don't know what I'm doing here. I'm lost.
This is the kids pc and I need it to function or they'll be on mine!
Kids played a game, changed the keyboard settings within the game.
PC locked up, on reboot....Nada. Finally after using boot disk, I'm able
to get to Startup menu. However, A: to
C: promt will not let me start Windows. I tried  many different prompts,
commands, all boot disks in the house, and CD's for Win95/98/98SE. I
can't use safe mode, it won't let me. I get an error for, Keyboard 103
but I can't go anywhere to fix it. Once I made it to load Win98SE and
got the following errror.
SU0013
HPFS or NTFS MSDos boot partiton. I don't know what they are? I hope
that you do.
This is a Compaq Pressaro 4714 Win98SE, P-I, 200Mhz.
Thanks in advance.

--
~Chero~

?Reformat?

Post by Bill Jame » Thu, 09 Mar 2000 04:00:00

If you are trying to get into Windows using a Startup disk, that is not going to work.  What it does is just get you to a command prompt when you can't get the PC to that point.  Here are the things I would try:

First, see if you can get to a command prompt with the system.  Shut down the computer if running, then start it again after hard drive stops.  After you see the memory test on screen, press and hold the Ctrl key until you get to a menu with various choices -- choose command prompt option.

If you are unable to get to that point, boot with the Startup floppy and wait till it shows the A: prompt.  The rest of the steps are the same for either method.

1) Try renaming autoexec.bat and config.sys.  From the command prompt, type the following lines and press Enter after each:

    ren c:\autoexec.bat autoexec.old
    ren c:\config.sys config.old

Reboot and see if you get to Windows now.  You may want to examine the 2 renamed files to see what they contain.  There may be some original commands in them that you want.  Copy contents and post back here if any questions about contents.

2)  If no luck, restore an old Registry from a date before the mishap.  Boot to command prompt as before and type the following line:

    c:\windows\command\scanreg /restore

Follow the on-screen instructions to restore a prior Registry, rebooting when instructed.

I believe you will be OK now -- if not then post back to this same thread.

--

Bill James
Microsoft MVPDTS

?Free Win9x VBScript Utilities?
http://home.earthlink.net/~wgjames/vbspage/

> I don't know what I'm doing here. I'm lost.
> This is the kids pc and I need it to function or they'll be on mine!
> Kids played a game, changed the keyboard settings within the game.
> PC locked up, on reboot....Nada. Finally after using boot disk, I'm able
> to get to Startup menu. However, A: to
> C: promt will not let me start Windows. I tried  many different prompts,
> commands, all boot disks in the house, and CD's for Win95/98/98SE. I
> can't use safe mode, it won't let me. I get an error for, Keyboard 103
> but I can't go anywhere to fix it. Once I made it to load Win98SE and
> got the following errror.
> SU0013
> HPFS or NTFS MSDos boot partiton. I don't know what they are? I hope
> that you do.
> This is a Compaq Pressaro 4714 Win98SE, P-I, 200Mhz.
> Thanks in advance.

> --
> ~Chero~

?Reformat?

Post by Man La » Fri, 10 Mar 2000 04:00:00

First check your keyboard connection.  It could be faulty connection.
Or get another keyboard from another computer.

Then in A:\>    do

A:\> sys c:     then reboot

If it does not help, you probably need to format your hd.  :<

Cheers

Man

--
-----------------------------
Man Lam

?Reformat?

Post by Jeff Richard » Fri, 10 Mar 2000 04:00:00

You can't start Windows from the startup disk - you can only get to DOS
where you can repair or reinstall.

From the A or C prompt you can do the following.

FDISK /STATUS    to see whether DOS can recognize a partition structure.
DIR C:      to get a rough check on whether the file system is visible to
DOS.
C:\Windows\Command\SCANDISK C:      to check the file system in detail.
Don't let it fix anything until you know what's wrong.

If the above tests seem OK, do SYS C: to try and restore the boot files, and
try booting to the hard disk.
--
Jeff Richards
1999 MVP (DTS)

> I don't know what I'm doing here. I'm lost.
> This is the kids pc and I need it to function or they'll be on mine!
> Kids played a game, changed the keyboard settings within the game.
> PC locked up, on reboot....Nada. Finally after using boot disk, I'm able
> to get to Startup menu. However, A: to
> C: promt will not let me start Windows. I tried  many different prompts,
> commands, all boot disks in the house, and CD's for Win95/98/98SE. I
> can't use safe mode, it won't let me. I get an error for, Keyboard 103
> but I can't go anywhere to fix it. Once I made it to load Win98SE and
> got the following errror.
> SU0013
> HPFS or NTFS MSDos boot partiton. I don't know what they are? I hope
> that you do.
> This is a Compaq Pressaro 4714 Win98SE, P-I, 200Mhz.
> Thanks in advance.

> --
> ~Chero~

?Reformat?

Post by cher » Fri, 10 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> > I don't know what I'm doing here. I'm lost.
> > This is the kids pc and I need it to function or they'll be on mine!
> > Kids played a game, changed the keyboard settings within the game.
> > PC locked up, on reboot....Nada. Finally after using boot disk, I'm able
> > to get to Startup menu. However, A: to
> > C: promt will not let me start Windows.

> Do
> C:
> DIR C: /A
> and see if it lists files on C: and shows that Windows is present.  If
> so
> PATH C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND
> will set up the standard path so that
> WIN
> should find and load windows.

> If that works, Look in the C:\MSDOS.SYS file .  This is a hidden,
> read-only file  You need to r-click and change properties to take off
> the hidden and read-only, then edit it with NotePad.  It may have been
> damaged.  It should start
> [Paths]
> WinDir=C:\WINDOWS
> WinBootDir=C:\WINDOWS
> HostWinBootDrive=C
> [Options]

> and be padded out with ;xxxxxx lines to be bigger than 1024 bytes.

> --
> Alex Nichol MVP (DTS)

> Check out:'How to make a good newsgroup post'at
> http://members.home.com/dts-l/goodpost.htm

Thanks for all the typing and your time Alex.
Nope no go.
C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND   gets me bad command or file name.
ren C:\autoexec.bat autoexec.old ... get a Parameter missing message.
I can shift f8 and get to prompt.
If windows is gone.....which I'm starting to think it is....[I can't get to
any files at all]
it won't let me load Win98 either. It tells me the HPFS/NTSFS.

--
~Chero~

?Reformat?

Post by cher » Fri, 10 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I can get to the prompt.
However, any of the lines below all = Parameter missing, or Path not
found, or
bad mommand or file name.
???

If you are trying to get into Windows using a Startup disk, that is not
going to work.  What it does is just get you to a command prompt when
you can't get the PC to that point.  Here are the things I would try:

First, see if you can get to a command prompt with the system.  Shut
down the computer if running, then start it again after hard drive
stops.  After you see the memory test on screen, press and hold the Ctrl
key until you get to a menu with various choices -- choose command
prompt option.

If you are unable to get to that point, boot with the Startup floppy and
wait till it shows the A: prompt.  The rest of the steps are the same
for either method.

1) Try renaming autoexec.bat and config.sys.  From the command prompt,
type the following lines and press Enter after each:

    ren c:\autoexec.bat autoexec.old
    ren c:\config.sys config.old

Reboot and see if you get to Windows now.  You may want to examine the 2
renamed files to see what they contain.  There may be some original
commands in them that you want.  Copy contents and post back here if any
questions about contents.

2)  If no luck, restore an old Registry from a date before the mishap.
Boot to command prompt as before and type the following line:

    c:\windows\command\scanreg /restore

Follow the on-screen instructions to restore a prior Registry, rebooting
when instructed.

I believe you will be OK now -- if not then post back to this same
thread.

--

Bill James
Microsoft MVPDTS

?Free Win9x VBScript Utilities?
http://home.earthlink.net/~wgjames/vbspage/

> I don't know what I'm doing here. I'm lost.
> This is the kids pc and I need it to function or they'll be on mine!
> Kids played a game, changed the keyboard settings within the game.
> PC locked up, on reboot....Nada. Finally after using boot disk, I'm able
> to get to Startup menu. However, A: to
> C: promt will not let me start Windows. I tried  many different prompts,
> commands, all boot disks in the house, and CD's for Win95/98/98SE. I
> can't use safe mode, it won't let me. I get an error for, Keyboard 103
> but I can't go anywhere to fix it. Once I made it to load Win98SE and
> got the following errror.
> SU0013
> HPFS or NTFS MSDos boot partiton. I don't know what they are? I hope
> that you do.
> This is a Compaq Pressaro 4714 Win98SE, P-I, 200Mhz.
> Thanks in advance.

> --
> ~Chero~

?Reformat?

Post by Bill Jame » Fri, 10 Mar 2000 04:00:00

It seems like you are getting to the frustrated point and trying things at random.  If so, please slow down and start keeping notes.  Try to reconstruct in writing all you have done so far, before it becomes any cloudier.  Also, at this point you should segregate any floppies you have tried to boot this PC with, in case you are dealing with a virus here.  No reason to panic over that, just sound procedure when dealing with strange disk access problems.

Now let's start troubleshooting in a systematic way.

Make a fresh Startup disk from another Win98 computer, preferably one which you know you have not exchanged any floppy from the problem machine (perhaps a friend's computer).  Do not reuse a floppy disk for this, instead use a newly purchased, out-of-the-box, floppy.  Boot the problem PC with the newly created Startup floppy, choosing the option for CD-ROM support.  When you get to the A: prompt, type the following line and press Enter:

dir c: /a

It is important that you type the line exactly as shown.  You should get one of 3 results:

1) A displayed list of all files and folders on the C: drive.  They will most likely scroll off the visible screen, but that is not important at this point.  The last 2 lines of the display will give you the number of files, used space, number of directories (folders), and free space on C:   Here is an example from this PC:

        32 file(s)     57,058,032 bytes
         5 dir(s)     481,230,848 bytes free

Write down the exact results and post back with that.

2)  You might get a display something like this:

.              <DIR>        [date and time]
..             <DIR>        [date and time]
         0 file(s)              0 bytes
         2 dir(s)     [number] bytes free

If you see only 2 directories named "." and ".." and 0 files 0 bytes, your C: drive is completely blank.  Post back with the exact result for confirmation if you like, but at this point you are going to have to reinstall Windows from the Windows CD.

3) Typing the line results in an error message.  Write down the exact error message and post back here with that exact error message.

--

--------snip>

?Reformat?

Post by cher » Fri, 10 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Okay.
Last two lines:
23 file (s) 79,494,958 bytes
8 dir (s) 1,593,118720 bytes free
I hope this is a good sign.

--
~Chero~
www.cherosteepee.com

?Reformat?

Post by Bill Jame » Fri, 10 Mar 2000 04:00:00

OK, that's good, you have not lost the C: drive data.  If you got to this point, you should be able to get on into Windows, or at least reinstall Windows.  Next thing to try is making sure you have the system files on C: and that Autoexec.bat or Config.sys are not causing you problems.

Boot with the Startup floppy as before, and type the following line and press Enter:

    sys a: c:

Wait for the prompt to return, then type the following 2 lines, pressing Enter after each:

    ren c:\autoexec.bat autoexec.old
    ren c:\config.sys config.old

Now press Ctrl + Alt + Del keys to reboot -- remove the Startup floppy.  Hopefully Windows will come back up normally now.  If not, make sure you did all the above steps correctly and post back with any error messages you might have received or exactly what happened when you tried to reboot to Windows.

Good Luck.

--

Bill James
Microsoft MVPDTS

?Free Win9x VBScript Utilities?
http://home.earthlink.net/~wgjames/vbspage/

> Okay.
> Last two lines:
> 23 file (s) 79,494,958 bytes
> 8 dir (s) 1,593,118720 bytes free
> I hope this is a good sign.

?Reformat?

Post by cher » Sat, 11 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Thanks,
Both of the lines below have the same result. file not found
C:\autoexec.bat and config.sys
If I continue anyway, reboot and remove the floppy I then
get 'Invalid system disk, replace and press any key.'
Chero

[...]

Quote:> Okay.
> Last two lines:
> 23 file (s) 79,494,958 bytes
> 8 dir (s) 1,593,118720 bytes free
> I hope this is a good sign.

?Reformat?

Post by Mike Burges » Sat, 11 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Chero, see if this helps ...
Error Message "Invalid System Disk" After Setup Reboots
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q128/7/30.asp

Mike Burgess       Microsoft MVP  DTS
"Troubleshooting Self-Inflicted User Problems"
http://members.aol.com/Knows98/
Please post replies to this Newsgroup
[remove NO from email address to reply directly]

> Thanks,
> Both of the lines below have the same result. file not found
> C:\autoexec.bat and config.sys
> If I continue anyway, reboot and remove the floppy I then
> get 'Invalid system disk, replace and press any key.'
> Chero

> OK, that's good, you have not lost the C: drive data.  If you got to
> this point, you should be able to get on into Windows, or at least
> reinstall Windows.  Next thing to try is making sure you have the system
> files on C: and that Autoexec.bat or Config.sys are not causing you
> problems.

> Boot with the Startup floppy as before, and type the following line and
> press Enter:

>     sys a: c:

> Wait for the prompt to return, then type the following 2 lines, pressing
> Enter after each:

>     ren c:\autoexec.bat autoexec.old
>     ren c:\config.sys config.old

> Now press Ctrl + Alt + Del keys to reboot -- remove the Startup floppy.
> Hopefully Windows will come back up normally now.  If not, make sure you
> did all the above steps correctly and post back with any error messages
> you might have received or exactly what happened when you tried to
> reboot to Windows.

> Good Luck.

> --

> Bill James
> Microsoft MVPDTS

> ?Free Win9x VBScript Utilities?
> http://home.earthlink.net/~wgjames/vbspage/

> > Okay.
> > Last two lines:
> > 23 file (s) 79,494,958 bytes
> > 8 dir (s) 1,593,118720 bytes free
> > I hope this is a good sign.

?Reformat?

Post by cher » Sat, 11 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Thanks Mike. I don't think this is virus related. This pc has not been on
line, but has been used by the kids playing cd games. It could be I guess, but
I did try and get this all back going by using the McAfee emergency boot disk
and ran it, it found nothing.
Anyway I read the article and the one that would apply is [Setup was unable to
copy the system files to the hard drive.]
I tried the cure and when I would reach the msdos.sys it would say 0 files
copied. I went ahead typed the whole thing, but
didn't get anywhere. Although I did get C:\windows command> That at least is
something. (g)
Chero

--
~Chero~

?Reformat?

Post by Mike Burges » Sat, 11 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Chero, when you (type) "sys C:" (no quotes) from a Win98 bootdisk,
it should copy 3 files to your C: (root folder)
command.com
io.sys
msdos.sys

Note: the last 2 files are "hidden system" files. You should see a
on-screen message: System files transferred
That's "sys<space>C:" (no quotes)

When the Sys command fails, most times this is caused by booting
from a Win98 bootdisk, but the PC hard drive is using a 3rd party
program such as: (example) EZ Drive. If this is the case you should
see a brief message on-screen at bootup about "How To" access
the 3rd party bootsetup or How To bootup using a bootdisk. You'll
need to access this menu, then use the option on How To, to use
the bootdisk. Then use the sys C: command.

> [...]

> > > files on C: and that Autoexec.bat or Config.sys are not causing you
> > > problems.

> > > Boot with the Startup floppy as before, and type the following line
and
> > > press Enter:

> > >     sys a: c:

> > > Wait for the prompt to return, then type the following 2 lines,
pressing
> > > Enter after each:

> > >     ren c:\autoexec.bat autoexec.old
> > >     ren c:\config.sys config.old

> > > Now press Ctrl + Alt + Del keys to reboot -- remove the Startup
floppy.
> > > Hopefully Windows will come back up normally now.  If not, make sure
you
> > > did all the above steps correctly and post back with any error
messages
> > > you might have received or exactly what happened when you tried to

?Reformat?

Post by Bill Jame » Sat, 11 Mar 2000 04:00:00

OK, those message about autoexec.bat and config.sys not found are OK for now, since I wanted to get them out of the way as potential causes of the problem.

When you booted from the floppy and entered the line:

    sys a: c:

Did you get a long pause, with activity from the floppy drive, and then a message saying "System Transferred"?

If not, then do that step again, or even if you did it already do it again.  After that you should be at least able to boot to a C: prompt.

--

Bill James
Microsoft MVPDTS

?Free Win9x VBScript Utilities?
http://home.earthlink.net/~wgjames/vbspage/

> Thanks,
> Both of the lines below have the same result. file not found
> C:\autoexec.bat and config.sys
> If I continue anyway, reboot and remove the floppy I then
> get 'Invalid system disk, replace and press any key.'
> Chero

> OK, that's good, you have not lost the C: drive data.  If you got to
> this point, you should be able to get on into Windows, or at least
> reinstall Windows.  Next thing to try is making sure you have the system
> files on C: and that Autoexec.bat or Config.sys are not causing you
> problems.

> Boot with the Startup floppy as before, and type the following line and
> press Enter:

>     sys a: c:

> Wait for the prompt to return, then type the following 2 lines, pressing
> Enter after each:

>     ren c:\autoexec.bat autoexec.old
>     ren c:\config.sys config.old

> Now press Ctrl + Alt + Del keys to reboot -- remove the Startup floppy.
> Hopefully Windows will come back up normally now.  If not, make sure you
> did all the above steps correctly and post back with any error messages
> you might have received or exactly what happened when you tried to
> reboot to Windows.

> Good Luck.

> --

> Bill James
> Microsoft MVPDTS

> ?Free Win9x VBScript Utilities?
> http://home.earthlink.net/~wgjames/vbspage/

> > Okay.
> > Last two lines:
> > 23 file (s) 79,494,958 bytes
> > 8 dir (s) 1,593,118720 bytes free
> > I hope this is a good sign.

?Reformat?

Post by cher » Sat, 11 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Bill, I don't know anymore. Ready to scream.
I shut the pc off and now when I type sys a: c:  from either the C: prompt or the A: prompt, I get a Bad Command or File message. I feel like I'm going
backwards here. <lol>  I can do dir c:/a and get file name <or> dir a:/c and get files.
Help. <g>

--
~Chero~
www.cherosteepee.com

1. Problems after reformatting DC and reinstalling with same name (replication issues)

In preparation for an upgrade to Windows 2003, we needed to
repartition our domain controllers.

On each machine, we moved all FSMO roles to an alternate domain
controller, then used DCPROMO to remove Active Directory from the
server.

We then repartitioned the server and installed a fresh copy of Windows
2000, giving the domain controller the same name it previously had
(necessary, since roaming profiles had a reference to this server
name).

Now, replication is not functioning correctly.  DCDIAG reports that
NCSecDesc fails, noting that "Domain Controllers doesn't have
Replicating Directory Changes All access rights for the naming
context: dc=xxx,dc=xxx,dc=xxx".  The problem persists after we go into
Active Directory and explicitly grant rights for the Domain
Controllers for Replicating Directory Changes.

Further analysis using Replmon shows that each DC is continuing to try
and replicate with **Deleted Server 1 or **Deleted Server 2 -
referring to the GUIDs associated with the DCs before the
repartitioning.

All knowledge base articles refer to removing references to the server
names using ADSIEdit - which won't work for us, since the name for the
server is the same from before and after the reinstallation.

I  sense we need to eliminate the reference to the no longer existent
GUID for "Deleted Server", but lack the tools and expertise to do so.

I've pretty much exhausted my resources.  Any thoughts or suggestions
would be greatly appreciated.  We're stalled in our efforts to move to
Windows 2003 until we resolve this and are already dealing with an
array of flaky issues resulting from the lack of replication between
the 3 domain controllers.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Raymond Jean
Tulane Law School
Tulane University
New Orleans, LA, USA

generic levitra india
generic levitra india
what happens if a woman takes viagra

2. XDR Question

3. Reformat, install, and configure Win 2K Server in a network domain and as a web server

4. wanted: calculation of intersections

5. Unable to reformat media using NTBackup or MMC

6. Introduction to Software Methods and Tools

7. Help - Modem not recognized after reformat...

8. How Do I reformat Windows 2000 Pro

9. reformatting with win2000

10. Reformat, install, and configure Win 2K Server in a network domain and as a web server

11. Add drive to software RAID5 array without reformat?