win98, I want to make a files accessed log

win98, I want to make a files accessed log

Post by Anonymou » Sat, 19 Jun 1999 04:00:00

How can I make a log of files accessed in win98? I have tried to use the
Windows find utility to search for files that have been accessed during a
day, but have found the following limitations:

1) can only search by day, not by hour/minute, etc..
2) cannot sort results by time accessed, only by time modified
3) don't know if I can use scheduler to run a find and save a result every
so often

Anyone know how to do something like this as an added measure of network
security?

I am assuming that if I log files accessed, this will encompass files
modified and files created/deleted also, but might want to consider logs
like that also.

win98, I want to make a files accessed log

Post by Marquis de Carvdaw » Sat, 19 Jun 1999 04:00:00

If you don't mind loading Perl, you can use the ChangeNotify module to
find when something changes, and just go from there.  Or, use an MD-5
checksum...see:

http://www.patriot.net/users/carvdawg/perl.html

for a .pl file that shows how to do this...

> How can I make a log of files accessed in win98? I have tried to use the
> Windows find utility to search for files that have been accessed during a
> day, but have found the following limitations:

> 1) can only search by day, not by hour/minute, etc..
> 2) cannot sort results by time accessed, only by time modified
> 3) don't know if I can use scheduler to run a find and save a result every
> so often

> Anyone know how to do something like this as an added measure of network
> security?

> I am assuming that if I log files accessed, this will encompass files
> modified and files created/deleted also, but might want to consider logs
> like that also.

> Thanks,
> --

win98, I want to make a files accessed log

Post by Marquis de Carvdaw » Sat, 19 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Check out the packages available at

http://www.activestate.com/packages/zips

There may be something there.

Also, the stat() function will get you the access time in Perl.

Go to:

http://www.patriot.net/users/carvdawg/perl.html

I have some files up there that you might be interested in...