128 MB PC133 ECC SDRAM or 256 MB PC 100 RAM?

128 MB PC133 ECC SDRAM or 256 MB PC 100 RAM?

Post by Mikhail Zhili » Wed, 26 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Chris, in addition to Larry Mattingly.

If you use the PC100 and PC133 modules at the same time, the system
speed will be defined by the slowest memory. Were you use the PC133
modules only -- you could probably speed up your system a little by
changing the RAM timing in BIOS (decrease some of the memory cycles).
--
Mikhail Zhilin
MS MVP-DTS

Quote:>Can anyone tell me what ECC is used for, is it faster and better than
>regular RAM? Will it slow or speed up my computer? I have an ASUS
>P3V4X motherboard and a PIII 733 Coppermine that accepts both these
>types of RAM, I switch the 128 MB PC133 ECC SDRAM every other day with
>the 256 MB PC100 RAM and I've tested both RAM's with the benchmarking
>program called SiSoft Sandra and it seems that the PC133 RAM wins the
>battle, but I really don't see a difference in the two. I've also
>heard that the PC133 ECC RAM stops the blue screen if death because
>it's more stable RAM. Can I get any info, ideas or input.

>Thanks

>Chris

128 MB PC133 ECC SDRAM or 256 MB PC 100 RAM?

Post by SG [MS MVP-DTS » Wed, 26 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Chris,

Try this page for a better understanding what ECC is and does. I will say
it's hard to read because of the background, but provides pretty good info.
http://nyquist.ee.ualberta.ca/~akwong/eccram/index.html

All the best,
--
George Aker aka SG    [MS MVP-DTS]
Help us in helping you!!

Post by David A. Mai » Wed, 26 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>Can anyone tell me what ECC is used for, is it faster and better than
>regular RAM? Will it slow or speed up my computer? I have an ASUS
>P3V4X motherboard and a PIII 733 Coppermine that accepts both these
>types of RAM, I switch the 128 MB PC133 ECC SDRAM every other day with
>the 256 MB PC100 RAM and I've tested both RAM's with the benchmarking
>program called SiSoft Sandra and it seems that the PC133 RAM wins the
>battle, but I really don't see a difference in the two. I've also
>heard that the PC133 ECC RAM stops the blue screen if death because
>it's more stable RAM. Can I get any info, ideas or input.

ECC memory is error detecting/correcting.  32 bit memory can cause
spuruious failures if any bits change value.  36 bit (parity) memory
can detect single bit errors but cannot correct them, so the system
halts due to a NMI (memory parity interrupt).  ECC memory can detect
multi-bit errors and correct them.  It costs more it makes the system
measurably more reliable.  But, unless you are running a critical
server, it will not affect you significantly, memory bit changes are
rare enough.  PC133 is measurably faster than PC100, but you probably
wouldn't notice the difference.  You would probably get more mileage
by using the greater quantity than the faster/more reliable memory.

Regards

In order to avoid the harassment of spam I have
deliberately included an invalid e-mail address in
this message.  To contact me by mail remove the not.

should note that due to the quantity of mail I receive
I may not answer and I am more likely to respond to
follow-up messages.

Post by Ron Martel » Wed, 26 Apr 2000 04:00:00

>Can anyone tell me what ECC is used for, is it faster and better than
>regular RAM? Will it slow or speed up my computer? I have an ASUS
>P3V4X motherboard and a PIII 733 Coppermine that accepts both these
>types of RAM, I switch the 128 MB PC133 ECC SDRAM every other day with
>the 256 MB PC100 RAM and I've tested both RAM's with the benchmarking
>program called SiSoft Sandra and it seems that the PC133 RAM wins the
>battle, but I really don't see a difference in the two. I've also
>heard that the PC133 ECC RAM stops the blue screen if death because
>it's more stable RAM. Can I get any info, ideas or input.

If your motherboard will let you run the PC133 ram at 133 mhz then it
will be faster than the PC100.  However at 100 mhz there would not be
a discernable difference between the two RAM types.

However, if your system is being used heavily, with several large
applications open at the same time and/or you are working with very
large data files then it is possible that you are using the swap file
to a significant extent with 128 mb of RAM and therefore having 256 mb
will provide a distinct advantate due to the reduced swap file usage.

You can check this out by using the System Monitor utility that comes
with Windows and have it track "Memory manager: swap file in use" and
Memory manager: page faults". If, when you have the 128 mb module
installed, you see a "swap file in use" of more than 20 megabytes on a
regular basis" and/or if the "page faults" shows a steady high rate
(50 plus and not just occasional bursts) then the increased RAM will
be more beneficial than the higher speed.  Repeating the System
Monitor tests with the 256 mb installed and using the same
applications and data files should confirm this in terms of reduced
swap file in use and fewer page faults.

Good luck.

Ron Martell     Duncan B.C.    Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

"Software is a gas.  It expands to fill whatever container it is placed in."

1. 128 MB PC133 ECC SDRAM or 256 MB PC 100 RAM?

I cannot completely answer your question, but I can parts of it.  ECC RAM is
no faster.  What is making your ECC seem faster is because it is PC133,
capable of running at 133MHz bus speed, whereas the PC100 is capable of
100MHz.  You should change your motherboard (unless it changes
automatically - I am not that familiar with that board) to reflect the
memory change to get an actual comparison.  I do know that ECC, which stands
for error correcting code or something like that, is more typically used in
the server environment then for a regular workstation.

--
_____________
Larry Mattingly

2. System req for Sprintscan 4000

3. 128 MB card won't work; 8 MB card will

4. not a valid Win32 application?

5. 256 ram showiing as 128 ram

6. Lantastic for OS/2 V4?

7. Can I run Win 2K on a P233 with 256 MB of RAM

8. Mars Saga

9. Windows not detecting 256 mb RAM

10. URGENT: adding 256 MB RAM in a Dell Inspiron 5000

11. URGENT: adding 256 MB RAM in a DELL

12. 128 MB RAM

13. 128 Mb RAM enough for Win 2000 Pro?