TEMP files now in Windows directory instead of TEMP !!

TEMP files now in Windows directory instead of TEMP !!

Post by t.. » Thu, 03 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Hello ALL!

I recently moved the temp internet folder to be a sub folder in the TEMP
folder. For some reason the TMP files are now in WINDOWS folder instead of
WINDOWS/TEMP folder. I did move the temp internet folder back out.

Any ideas how to fix the problem?

THANKS!
Marc
Tech Support Sunbelt Software Inc.
for return e-mail, remove "nogoodpart" from the e-mail

TEMP files now in Windows directory instead of TEMP !!

Post by t.. » Fri, 04 Feb 2000 04:00:00

FIRST: Thank you for responding!

Quote:>2. If what you are saying is that the files that normally would go to =
>the C:\Windows\TEMP folder are now getting dumped into C:\Windows =

Correct! Occured EITHER after I moved the TIF dir into the Temp as a sub
dir/folder OR when I recently moved the TIF dir back out. BTW I used IE
move to do the TIF move.

Quote:>(nothing to do with TIFs?), then review autoexec.bat & config.sys to =
>see that there are no SET TEMP=3D or SET TMP=3D statements. If there =

There are none. BTW: what does the  _3D_ above mean? Setting temp dir
reminds me of the DOS days!

Quote:>3. If the above fails, the easiest thing to do (the other possibility =
>involves some registry work) is to add the following lines to =
>config.sys

What registry settings? I have not found any reference to TEMP?? Did I miss
something?

Post by Gary Terhun » Fri, 04 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> FIRST: Thank you for responding!

I hope you can pardon us regulars for not responding as faithfully to posts in this NG as we used to only a few months ago. Traffic in this Newsgroup alone has approximately doubled in only a few short months. I used to be able to claim with confidence that I read *every* post to this NG (the only one I usually attend.) These days, I can barely even *read* half of them, let alone respond.

1. The "3D" reference is a blank space on my reader. This is a known issue involving the encoding you are using to read my messages. If you pull up the previous message, and play with the Encoding settings in the View menu, you may find the problem--I'm not sure, I forget the exact issue involved.

2. It was my mistake to refer to the Registry as a place to check. I have done so much manual resetting of drive letters and default folder settings in the Registry that it stuck in my mind that the TEMP folder designation was one of them--it's not. But, beyond autoexec.bat & config.sys, a search of system.ini, win.ini, or msdos.sys might turn up something. Also, if a file named wininit.(I forget the extension) exists, it overules msdos.sys, I believe. In fact, a review of a fresh bootlog.txt might point it out.

Even though it doesn't appear to be, TEMP is a system-based folder, with special characteristics and limitations not applied to other folders. Shoving the TIF folder, which is also highly *complex* system "folder" into the TEMP structure may have messed up the default SET TEMP designation more or less permanently. Otherwise, I suspect somewhere else there is hiding a SET TEMP to C:\Windows, instead of C:\Windows\TEMP.
--
Gary Terhune
MVP/DTS-L

> >2. If what you are saying is that the files that normally would go to =
> >the C:\Windows\TEMP folder are now getting dumped into C:\Windows =
> Correct! Occured EITHER after I moved the TIF dir into the Temp as a sub
> dir/folder OR when I recently moved the TIF dir back out. BTW I used IE
> move to do the TIF move.

> >(nothing to do with TIFs?), then review autoexec.bat & config.sys to =
> >see that there are no SET TEMP=3D or SET TMP=3D statements. If there =
> There are none. BTW: what does the  _3D_ above mean? Setting temp dir
> reminds me of the DOS days!

> >3. If the above fails, the easiest thing to do (the other possibility =
> >involves some registry work) is to add the following lines to =
> >config.sys
> What registry settings? I have not found any reference to TEMP?? Did I miss
> something?

> THANKS!
> Marc
> Tech Support Sunbelt Software Inc.
> for return e-mail, remove "nogoodpart" from the e-mail

TEMP files now in Windows directory instead of TEMP !!

Post by t.. » Sat, 05 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>Even though it doesn't appear to be, TEMP is a system-based folder, with =
>special characteristics and limitations not applied to other folders. =
>Shoving the TIF folder, which is also highly *complex* system "folder" =
>into the TEMP structure may have messed up the default SET TEMP =
>designation more or less permanently. Otherwise, I suspect somewhere =
>else there is hiding a SET TEMP to C:\Windows, instead of =

You would think IE would not permit that type of move...oh well!

I will try tracking down the ini files etc and see what I find. Might take
a few day.

As always, thank you for your time.

Marc / SSI
Tech Support Sunbelt Software Inc.
for return e-mail, remove "nogoodpart" from the e-mail

1. TEMP files now in Windows directory instead of TEMP !!

Hello ALL!

I recently moved the temp internet folder to be a sub folder in the TEMP
folder. For some reason the TMP files are now in WINDOWS folder instead of
WINDOWS/TEMP folder. I did move the temp internet folder back out.

Any ideas how to fix the problem?

THANKS!
Marc
Tech Support Sunbelt Software Inc.
for return e-mail, remove "nogoodpart" from the e-mail

2. Error message sending e-mail in Outlook Express

3. Deleted Temp Files from C:Windows/Temp folder

4. mail lost to a few prep.ai.mit.edu gnu addresses

5. auto delete of temp files in windows\temp

6. Terminal emulation

7. win98 temp file - delete all temp files?

8. Inbox not deleting emails from the Pocket PC - 2nd partnership problem

9. How to Move c:\windows\temp to d:\windows\temp?

10. Temp folders in windows/temp

11. Explain what I can delete in c:\Temp or c:\windows\temp?

12. Is there a way to create BAT file to empty TEMP directory under Windows 2000?, pcumming

13. Files in Windows\Temp directory