Can't find "Explorer" or "My Computer"

Post by Rod » Sun, 15 Jun 2003 04:24:28

Please help.
For some reason when I try to click on "my computer" the
window opens and it searches but can't find the various
drives, when I want to view files on a CD rom. Also, it
just displays the hourglass when I click on Windows
Explorer. This seemed to happen after I tried to look at
the CD while I was printing a document and it locked up.
Restarting does not help.

All other programs work fine- including Netscape and
Internet Explorer.

How can I fix this? Thanks.

Can't find "Explorer" or "My Computer"

Post by Buffal » Sun, 15 Jun 2003 06:36:18

Try rt clk on the Start button and select Explore.
What happens?
I would try a really 'cold' reboot first.
Shut down normally. Unplug for several minutes. Plug back in and reboot.
Still no Joy?
Try a Registry restore. This is for Win98.
Upon initial boot-up, hold down the ctrl key (sometimes the F8 or other
keys) until you get to the Start Menu. Choose 'Safe Mode Command Prompt
Only' and press Enter. At the C:\  prompt , type   scanreg /restore  and
pick out the latest Reg before the problem started, usually the Reg that was
made that morning and follow onscreen instructions.

Quote:> Please help.