Win 98 Problem

Post by Jehanine Jolor » Sun, 28 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I am having a very strange problem now when I boot up my system.

For any desktop icons, start menu or task bar programs, double clicking
on them won't cause them to launch. Ive also tried right clicking and
choosing Open, with the same results. I can't drag icons on the desktop,
nor can I use the right side window in Explorer (the left side works
fine for choosing which directory I want to view.) I have no problems
using Run and browsing for the exe file to run programs, but that seems
to be the only way I can launch anything. Also, any programs that load
on Start up into the System Tray work just fine, too.

I cant run anything in Control Panel (which I can only access by Running
control.exe) or any of the system tools (which I cant find/dont know the
exe file names for) to see what could possibly be causing this.

Please help!
Gina

Win 98 Problem

Post by Mike Meye » Sun, 28 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Last autumn I tried installing IE 4.01 on a school computer running Win95.
I chose the option "Install IE Desktop Extension" (called something like
that).  Once it was installed, I experienced the same problems as you.  I
can't remember how, but somehow I got into the Control Panel and went to
Add/Remove Programs, then chose to remove the Desktop Extension.  Everything
worked fine after that.  Did you do anything out of the ordinary to cause
your problem to happen?  Install any software or hardware?

>I am having a very strange problem now when I boot up my system.

>For any desktop icons, start menu or task bar programs, double clicking
>on them won't cause them to launch. Ive also tried right clicking and
>choosing Open, with the same results.

Win 98 Problem

Post by Jehanine Jolor » Sun, 28 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hrm....a day or two before this started happening, I downloaded and installed
IE5. I'll check into that Desktop Extension, and see if that solves the
problems.

Strangest thing is...Ive had my computer on a few hours now, and gone through
periods where they WON'T work, and then they will work, and back again....very
weird....

> Last autumn I tried installing IE 4.01 on a school computer running Win95.
> I chose the option "Install IE Desktop Extension" (called something like
> that).  Once it was installed, I experienced the same problems as you.  I
> can't remember how, but somehow I got into the Control Panel and went to
> Add/Remove Programs, then chose to remove the Desktop Extension.  Everything
> worked fine after that.  Did you do anything out of the ordinary to cause
> your problem to happen?  Install any software or hardware?

> >I am having a very strange problem now when I boot up my system.

> >For any desktop icons, start menu or task bar programs, double clicking
> >on them won't cause them to launch. Ive also tried right clicking and
> >choosing Open, with the same results.

Win 98 Problem

Post by Jim Johns » Mon, 01 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I tried finding anything related to Desktop Extensions, but I cant find
> anything, and the problem still exists....

> Any other ideas? :)

> Thanks Mike!
> Gina

IE5 is beta software and may be have bugs. I would revert back to IE 4.1
for now. As I understand it the final version of IE5 will be out in
March. Think the Desktop Extensions you mention are already included in
IE5 and windows98. Think they were an option when adding IE4 to a
windows95 system. I have read many post from people running the IE5 beta
just fine, so don't know if this is something related to your system or
not, but I would do what I mentioned above. Hope this helps

Jim

Win 98 Problem

Post by Jehanine Jolor » Mon, 01 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I tried finding anything related to Desktop Extensions, but I cant find
anything, and the problem still exists....

Any other ideas? :)

Thanks Mike!
Gina

Win 98 Problem

Post by Jim W » Tue, 02 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I think the other person meant desktop "update" when they said "extension."
When installing IE4.x on a Win95 system the desktop update is optional.  I
don't believe the same is true with Win98, especially since what was a
desktop update is now so heavily integrated.  I'm no guru but I'd look more
at IE5.0.  That's still a beta isn't it.  Not that it would necessarily work
well if it were the final release either.  Best of luck.

Jim
http://home.att.net/~gatorgrad

>I tried finding anything related to Desktop Extensions, but I cant find
>anything, and the problem still exists....

>Any other ideas? :)

>Thanks Mike!
>Gina

Win 98 Problem

Post by Jehanine Jolor » Wed, 03 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I completely uninstalled IE5, and reinstalled IE 4.X (whatever version comes
default with Win98), and the problem still exists.

> > I tried finding anything related to Desktop Extensions, but I cant find
> > anything, and the problem still exists....

> > Any other ideas? :)

> > Thanks Mike!
> > Gina

> IE5 is beta software and may be have bugs. I would revert back to IE 4.1
> for now. As I understand it the final version of IE5 will be out in
> March. Think the Desktop Extensions you mention are already included in
> IE5 and windows98. Think they were an option when adding IE4 to a
> windows95 system. I have read many post from people running the IE5 beta
> just fine, so don't know if this is something related to your system or
> not, but I would do what I mentioned above. Hope this helps

> Jim

Win 98 Problem

Post by Jehanine Jolor » Wed, 03 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I completely uninstalled IE5, and reinstalled IE 4.X (whatever version comes
default with Win98), and the problem still exists.

> > I tried finding anything related to Desktop Extensions, but I cant find
> > anything, and the problem still exists....

> > Any other ideas? :)

> > Thanks Mike!
> > Gina

> IE5 is beta software and may be have bugs. I would revert back to IE 4.1
> for now. As I understand it the final version of IE5 will be out in
> March. Think the Desktop Extensions you mention are already included in
> IE5 and windows98. Think they were an option when adding IE4 to a
> windows95 system. I have read many post from people running the IE5 beta
> just fine, so don't know if this is something related to your system or
> not, but I would do what I mentioned above. Hope this helps

> Jim

1. Seagate BE 98 & Win 98 problem

I can't seem to be able to install Backup Exec 98 anymore in Windows 98. I
keep getting a Windows Protection Error. If I try to load Windows anyway I
get the following error message.

Invalid V&D dynamic link call from APIXLO1 + 00002E96 to device "33FC",
Service 3. Your Windows configuration is invalid. Run the Setup Program
again to correct this problem.

I've tried running setup over and this has the same results. Funny thing is
I've had Backup Exec 98 installed previously on this computer and never had
any problems. I get errors also if I install Backup off the Win 98 cd also.
The only thing that has changed recently on my system is the addition of a
Flash Card reader for my digital camera. The following is a list of my
hardware. I'd appreciate any insight into this problem. Thanks.

Cyrix PR233 MMX
96 mb ram
STB Velocity 128 video card
Quantum UDMA 7.6 gb drive Master
Quantum UDMA 4.3 gb drive Slave on the primary controller
Toshiba XM6202B 32X CD-ROM drive Master on secondary
Philips 3610 CDRW slave on secondary
HP 722C printer on LPT1
2 additional parallel ports attached for my DataFab Flash Card Reader on
LPT2 and Epson Scanner on LPT3

2. Adding computer to the domain

3. Drive map login with Win 2k and Win 98 problems

4. additional namespace attibute in root element

5. Win 98 problems

6. Search form to support Unicode

7. win 98 problems with AD

8. If you have this info????

9. More ICS Win2k/Win 98 Problems...

10. Win-98 problem (cannot hear .mid and .rmi files)

11. Win 98 Problem from Son

12. Scanner, Printer, Win 98 problem

13. IE5 & Possibly Win 98 Problems