Wininit.exe

Post by Mike Parke » Tue, 10 Apr 2001 06:28:08

What is this program?
nortion said it was a virus, but i cant find any info on it, what does it
do, or what did it do?

Wininit.exe

Post by JS » Tue, 10 Apr 2001 07:05:35

Wininit.exe is a Window Initialisation program which configures the computer to run new installed software (via a Wininit.ini file). If the copy you have is infected with a virus delete it, then extract a new copy of Wininit.exe from your Windows 98CD Win98_47.cab and place it in C:\Windows.

HTH

--
Regards
Jamie

Please Reply to the newsgroups for all to see :o).
Don't Know what LOL, HTH, IMHO means!
Look at www.acronymfinder.com to find out!
--

> What is this program?
> nortion said it was a virus, but i cant find any info on it, what does it
> do, or what did it do?

Wininit.exe

Post by Ron Badou » Tue, 10 Apr 2001 07:11:44

Go to the Norton virus library and look up the virus you were infected with.
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/vinfodb.html

--
Regards

Ron Badour, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
Making good newsgroup posts:
http://badour.freewebsites.com/assets/images/Gpost.zip
Tips:  http://badour.freewebsites.com/index.html
Knowledge Base Info:  http://support.microsoft.com/support/search/c.asp
No email support please--post to the group where others can benefit

Quote:> What is this program?
> nortion said it was a virus, but i cant find any info on it, what does it
> do, or what did it do?

Wininit.exe

Post by Ron Martel » Tue, 10 Apr 2001 15:09:54

>What is this program?
>nortion said it was a virus, but i cant find any info on it, what does it
>do, or what did it do?

There is a known virus/worm that puts a file named wininit.exe into
the c:\windows\system folder.   If you have such a file, delete it.

There is also a genuine windows component file named wininit.exe which
is in the c:\windows folder.  This file should be kept, or a
replacement for it extracted from the Windows 98 CD-ROM.

Good luck.

Ron Martell     Duncan B.C.    Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

Wininit.exe

Post by Mike Parke » Wed, 11 Apr 2001 03:41:48

one more thing,
are there any  *.dll or *.ini files that are needed?

Quote:> What is this program?
> nortion said it was a virus, but i cant find any info on it, what does it
> do, or what did it do?

1. Wininit.exe / 2000ME

Hi

Does anyone know why the wininit.exe gets loaded on startup in WIn2000ME ,
opens up says cant be run under windows and sets a DOS window in system
tray ?
Cant see it in autostart ?

If someone has a minute (o:

Camilla

2. TAPI; removing call status box

3. Wininit.exe

4. Paint Shop Pro 412 Shareware

5. wininit.exe corrupted......

6. Y2K suggestion for model 100 and other tandy users

7. Wininit.exe error

8. Can I automatically generate asmx file for COM Interop

9. wininit.exe

10. Win98SE and WININIT.EXE

11. Wininit.exe

12. Can't delete wininit.exe