Windows 98 SE takes 18 to 20 Minutes to bootup.

Windows 98 SE takes 18 to 20 Minutes to bootup.

Post by Brian Ladle » Tue, 14 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I am a Software Support Technician for a mid-sized company and have never
seen a problem like this before.  My fellow techs don't believe me when I
tell them.

My computer at home is a generic system with an AMD K6/2 400MHz processor
and 64MB of 8ns SDRAM memory.  On 2 seperate occasions, Windows 98 SE
(Complimentary Technical Beta Edition) reduced to taking 18 to 20 minutes to
get to the login prompt.  There are no errors on startup.  No failures in
the bootlog.txt file.  Safe mode only takes a minute or two.  After I get to
the login screen the system returns to normal and all operations run
smoothly.  The only way I have been able to correct this problem is to
format the drive and start from scratch.  This will last for a few months
before it reverts to a 20 minute bootup process.

The system is a dual boot between Win98 SE and Windows 2000 RC3 Server.  The
W2K files reside on a seperate partition from Win98 SE.  The hard drive is a
Maxtor 8.4GB with two 4.2GB partitions.  This is the second drive I have
used with the same results.  The first partition is FAT32.  The second is
NTFS v5 for use with Active Directory Services in Windows 2000.

Any suggestions?

Windows 98 SE takes 18 to 20 Minutes to bootup.

Post by HB3^ » Tue, 14 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I'm not sure what the real problem is why your Windows 98 SE takes so long
to boot up but I know that AMD processors have some problems with Windows
9x. One of my friends has a similar CPU as yours and his computer was
crashing every 20 min even thought he applied the MS AMD patch. Maybe there
is just a compability problem, have a look if MS has released some new patch
for Windows 98 SE.

HB3^
System Administrator - MCP, Security Consultant

Quote:> I am a Software Support Technician for a mid-sized company and have never
> seen a problem like this before.  My fellow techs don't believe me when I
> tell them.

> My computer at home is a generic system with an AMD K6/2 400MHz processor
> and 64MB of 8ns SDRAM memory.  On 2 seperate occasions, Windows 98 SE
> (Complimentary Technical Beta Edition) reduced to taking 18 to 20 minutes
> get to the login prompt.  There are no errors on startup.  No failures in
> the bootlog.txt file.  Safe mode only takes a minute or two.  After I get
> the login screen the system returns to normal and all operations run
> smoothly.  The only way I have been able to correct this problem is to
> format the drive and start from scratch.  This will last for a few months
> before it reverts to a 20 minute bootup process.

> The system is a dual boot between Win98 SE and Windows 2000 RC3 Server.
The
> W2K files reside on a seperate partition from Win98 SE.  The hard drive is
> Maxtor 8.4GB with two 4.2GB partitions.  This is the second drive I have
> used with the same results.  The first partition is FAT32.  The second is
> NTFS v5 for use with Active Directory Services in Windows 2000.

> Any suggestions?

Windows 98 SE takes 18 to 20 Minutes to bootup.

Post by Lee Chapell » Tue, 14 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Did you analyse the delays with Bootlog Analyser?
http://www.vision4.dial.pipex.com/
--
Lee Chapelle
MVP (DTS)

Quote:> I am a Software Support Technician for a mid-sized company and have never
> seen a problem like this before.  My fellow techs don't believe me when I
> tell them.

> My computer at home is a generic system with an AMD K6/2 400MHz processor
> and 64MB of 8ns SDRAM memory.  On 2 seperate occasions, Windows 98 SE
> (Complimentary Technical Beta Edition) reduced to taking 18 to 20 minutes
> get to the login prompt.  There are no errors on startup.  No failures in
> the bootlog.txt file.  Safe mode only takes a minute or two.  After I get
> the login screen the system returns to normal and all operations run
> smoothly.  The only way I have been able to correct this problem is to
> format the drive and start from scratch.  This will last for a few months
> before it reverts to a 20 minute bootup process.

> The system is a dual boot between Win98 SE and Windows 2000 RC3 Server.
The
> W2K files reside on a seperate partition from Win98 SE.  The hard drive is
> Maxtor 8.4GB with two 4.2GB partitions.  This is the second drive I have
> used with the same results.  The first partition is FAT32.  The second is
> NTFS v5 for use with Active Directory Services in Windows 2000.

> Any suggestions?

Windows 98 SE takes 18 to 20 Minutes to bootup.

Post by William F. Hill, Jr » Tue, 14 Dec 1999 04:00:00

AMD chips only struggle in Win95 which MShas posted a patch for 350 MHz
chips but it can only be applied to Win95 OSR2 releases...

William F. Hill, Jr.
Norfolk, Va.

> I'm not sure what the real problem is why your Windows 98 SE takes so long
> to boot up but I know that AMD processors have some problems with Windows
> 9x. One of my friends has a similar CPU as yours and his computer was
> crashing every 20 min even thought he applied the MS AMD patch. Maybe
there
> is just a compability problem, have a look if MS has released some new
patch
> for Windows 98 SE.

> HB3^
> System Administrator - MCP, Security Consultant

> > I am a Software Support Technician for a mid-sized company and have
never
> > seen a problem like this before.  My fellow techs don't believe me when
> > tell them.

> > My computer at home is a generic system with an AMD K6/2 400MHz
processor
> > and 64MB of 8ns SDRAM memory.  On 2 seperate occasions, Windows 98 SE
> > (Complimentary Technical Beta Edition) reduced to taking 18 to 20
minutes
> > get to the login prompt.  There are no errors on startup.  No failures
in
> > the bootlog.txt file.  Safe mode only takes a minute or two.  After I
get
> > the login screen the system returns to normal and all operations run
> > smoothly.  The only way I have been able to correct this problem is to
> > format the drive and start from scratch.  This will last for a few
months
> > before it reverts to a 20 minute bootup process.

> > The system is a dual boot between Win98 SE and Windows 2000 RC3 Server.
> The
> > W2K files reside on a seperate partition from Win98 SE.  The hard drive
is
> > Maxtor 8.4GB with two 4.2GB partitions.  This is the second drive I have
> > used with the same results.  The first partition is FAT32.  The second
is
> > NTFS v5 for use with Active Directory Services in Windows 2000.

> > Any suggestions?

Windows 98 SE takes 18 to 20 Minutes to bootup.

Post by chri » Tue, 14 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>AMD chips only struggle in Win95 which MShas posted a patch for 350 MHz
>chips but it can only be applied to Win95 OSR2 releases...

>William F. Hill, Jr.
>Norfolk, Va.

It is my understanding that it is a timing problem with the 350mhz and
faster AMD chips that causes the problem.  The AMD chips execute or respond
too quickly causing a timing error.  The patch changes the expected timing
to the response.  Don't accuse the AMD chips of bad behaviour when it is
windows95 that has the problem.

Chris

Windows 98 SE takes 18 to 20 Minutes to bootup.

Post by CheeseCo » Wed, 15 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Could this be why my system crashed on half of my boot-ups with win95?
(I've overclocked mine to 400 Mhz now, would this help?)

And why is this only for win95b?
I liked win95, because of the small size and quik boot-up...

--
CheseCow
GFX Designer

Windows 98 SE takes 18 to 20 Minutes to bootup.

Post by Laurent DAVI » Wed, 15 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I suggest you to execute msconfig.exe which exists on win98.

You'll see all the action that win98 does when you boot up your PC.

Good luck, Laurent

Brian Ladley a crit dans le message ...

Quote:>I am a Software Support Technician for a mid-sized company and have never
>seen a problem like this before.  My fellow techs don't believe me when I
>tell them.

>My computer at home is a generic system with an AMD K6/2 400MHz processor
>and 64MB of 8ns SDRAM memory.  On 2 seperate occasions, Windows 98 SE
>(Complimentary Technical Beta Edition) reduced to taking 18 to 20 minutes
>get to the login prompt.  There are no errors on startup.  No failures in
>the bootlog.txt file.  Safe mode only takes a minute or two.  After I get
>the login screen the system returns to normal and all operations run
>smoothly.  The only way I have been able to correct this problem is to
>format the drive and start from scratch.  This will last for a few months
>before it reverts to a 20 minute bootup process.

>The system is a dual boot between Win98 SE and Windows 2000 RC3 Server.
The
>W2K files reside on a seperate partition from Win98 SE.  The hard drive is
>Maxtor 8.4GB with two 4.2GB partitions.  This is the second drive I have
>used with the same results.  The first partition is FAT32.  The second is
>NTFS v5 for use with Active Directory Services in Windows 2000.

>Any suggestions?

Windows 98 SE takes 18 to 20 Minutes to bootup.

Post by Old Gu » Wed, 15 Dec 1999 04:00:00

When win98 is properly installed it boots as fast or faster than win 95...

Could this be why my system crashed on half of my boot-ups with win95?
(I've overclocked mine to 400 Mhz now, would this help?)

And why is this only for win95b?
I liked win95, because of the small size and quik boot-up...

--
CheseCow
GFX Designer

Windows 98 SE takes 18 to 20 Minutes to bootup.

Post by William F. Hill, Jr » Wed, 15 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I can assure you will hate it when you get errors with AMD 350 Mhz
chips...upgrade to Win98 and you wont have a problem.

William F. Hill, Jr.
Norfolk, Va.

Quote:> Could this be why my system crashed on half of my boot-ups with win95?
> (I've overclocked mine to 400 Mhz now, would this help?)

> And why is this only for win95b?
> I liked win95, because of the small size and quik boot-up...

> --
> CheseCow
> GFX Designer

Windows 98 SE takes 18 to 20 Minutes to bootup.

Post by William F. Hill, Jr » Wed, 15 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I personally would execute a step by step confirmation of the boot up
cycle...when the problem execution starts you will know immediately.

William F. Hill, Jr.
Norfolk, Va.

Quote:> I suggest you to execute msconfig.exe which exists on win98.

> You'll see all the action that win98 does when you boot up your PC.

> Good luck, Laurent

> Brian Ladley a crit dans le message ...
> >I am a Software Support Technician for a mid-sized company and have never
> >seen a problem like this before.  My fellow techs don't believe me when I
> >tell them.

> >My computer at home is a generic system with an AMD K6/2 400MHz processor
> >and 64MB of 8ns SDRAM memory.  On 2 seperate occasions, Windows 98 SE
> >(Complimentary Technical Beta Edition) reduced to taking 18 to 20 minutes
> >get to the login prompt.  There are no errors on startup.  No failures in
> >the bootlog.txt file.  Safe mode only takes a minute or two.  After I get
> >the login screen the system returns to normal and all operations run
> >smoothly.  The only way I have been able to correct this problem is to
> >format the drive and start from scratch.  This will last for a few months
> >before it reverts to a 20 minute bootup process.

> >The system is a dual boot between Win98 SE and Windows 2000 RC3 Server.
> The
> >W2K files reside on a seperate partition from Win98 SE.  The hard drive
is
> >Maxtor 8.4GB with two 4.2GB partitions.  This is the second drive I have
> >used with the same results.  The first partition is FAT32.  The second is
> >NTFS v5 for use with Active Directory Services in Windows 2000.

> >Any suggestions?

Windows 98 SE takes 18 to 20 Minutes to bootup.

Post by Brian Ladle » Fri, 17 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Thanks to all who replied.  The problem wound up being a faulty McAfee DOS
scan engine, SCAN.EXE.  Once this was removed the system started up in about
72 seconds.  I didn't suspect it sooner because the system worked fine with
it installed for the longest time.  I have also never had a problem with
SCAN.EXE being part of the AUTOEXEC.BAT file on any other Win9x systems.

Now I feel dumb.  The AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS files are usually the
first things I check on every computer I work on for my company.  I hope
this info is usefull to someone else later on down the road.

Brian Ladley
http://home.earthlink.net/~bladley

Quote:> I am a Software Support Technician for a mid-sized company and have never
> seen a problem like this before.  My fellow techs don't believe me when I
> tell them.

> My computer at home is a generic system with an AMD K6/2 400MHz processor
> and 64MB of 8ns SDRAM memory.  On 2 seperate occasions, Windows 98 SE
> (Complimentary Technical Beta Edition) reduced to taking 18 to 20 minutes
> get to the login prompt.  There are no errors on startup.  No failures in
> the bootlog.txt file.  Safe mode only takes a minute or two.  After I get
> the login screen the system returns to normal and all operations run
> smoothly.  The only way I have been able to correct this problem is to
> format the drive and start from scratch.  This will last for a few months
> before it reverts to a 20 minute bootup process.

> The system is a dual boot between Win98 SE and Windows 2000 RC3 Server.
The
> W2K files reside on a seperate partition from Win98 SE.  The hard drive is
> Maxtor 8.4GB with two 4.2GB partitions.  This is the second drive I have
> used with the same results.  The first partition is FAT32.  The second is
> NTFS v5 for use with Active Directory Services in Windows 2000.

> Any suggestions?

Windows 98 SE takes 18 to 20 Minutes to bootup.

Post by SurfCaste » Fri, 17 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I just upgraded to windows 98SE and I find it faster then 95 too!

> When win98 is properly installed it boots as fast or faster than win 95...

> Could this be why my system crashed on half of my boot-ups with win95?
> (I've overclocked mine to 400 Mhz now, would this help?)

> And why is this only for win95b?
> I liked win95, because of the small size and quik boot-up...

> --
> CheseCow
> GFX Designer

Windows 98 SE takes 18 to 20 Minutes to bootup.

and much much more stable too :-))

Post by Steve P » Fri, 17 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> and much much more stable too :-))

> I just upgraded to windows 98SE and I find it faster then 95 too!

> > When win98 is properly installed it boots as fast or faster than win 95...

> > Could this be why my system crashed on half of my boot-ups with win95?
> > (I've overclocked mine to 400 Mhz now, would this help?)

> > And why is this only for win95b?
> > I liked win95, because of the small size and quik boot-up...

> > --
> > CheseCow
> > GFX Designer

Crazy things can *and do* happen when you overclock.  Best to leave it alone unless you
are doing some testing.

Windows 98 SE takes 18 to 20 Minutes to bootup.

Post by Dave Verwe » Sat, 18 Dec 1999 04:00:00

What anti virus software are you using? I have an NT Server machine that now
takes 20 mins to boot after installing TVD from Dr Solomons...

HTH

Dave