My Documents

Post by Gold » Tue, 10 Aug 1999 04:00:00

ohhh, the thoughts one entertains while awaiting the Dawn:
"My Documents" Folder exists on both of my hard drives.
So is Win98se storing Files twice since both contain the same files?
If not then where are they actually stored?

another curiosity:
my zx81 (after being dusted off) still works with its 16k ram extension and
thermal printer after a quarter century!

My Documents

Post by Ovidiu Pop » Tue, 10 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

Quote:>ohhh, the thoughts one entertains while awaiting the Dawn:
>"My Documents" Folder exists on both of my hard drives.
>So is Win98se storing Files twice since both contain the same files?
>If not then where are they actually stored?

No, only one is used. To find out which, right click the My Documents icon
on your desktop and watch the path. Or use TweakUI98. You may delete the
other folder, after backing up your data inside.

Ovidiu Popa
MS-MVP (DTS)

My Documents

Post by Alan Edwar » Tue, 10 Aug 1999 04:00:00

In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Goldy"

>ohhh, the thoughts one entertains while awaiting the Dawn:
>"My Documents" Folder exists on both of my hard drives.
>So is Win98se storing Files twice since both contain the same files?
>If not then where are they actually stored?

Be careful here!

If you have copied the My Documents folder with its hidden (very well
hidden and you may only see it with F3 and a search for Desktop.ini
while in the folder) then you may have a mirror effect and the files
may not really be in the one that is not the real My Documents folder.

You may find that what you add or delete from one affects the other.
If so remove desktop.ini from the one that is not the path shown in
TweakUI-General tab-Special Folders.

...Alan
--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems

My Documents

Post by RJFurneau » Wed, 18 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Having clicked on the My Documents icon on my desktop the usual display of
Word/Excel folders/files appears. However if I try to open a Word file I get
the following error messages:

"A required .Dll file, MS097V.DLL, was not found."

on clearing that, I get:

"Cannot find the file 'C:\My Documents\...[or one of its components]. Make
sure the path and file name are correct and that all required libraries are
available".

Opening Excel files from My Documents works perfectly.

Any ideas?

Dick Furneaux

My Documents

Post by Gary Terhun » Wed, 18 Aug 1999 04:00:00

The second message is derived from the first message. It's saying the same
thing, only in a more general sense. Do you have MS097V.DLL? If not, or you
think it's in the wrong place or corrupt, use SFC to reinstall it.

Gary

Quote:> Having clicked on the My Documents icon on my desktop the usual display of
> Word/Excel folders/files appears. However if I try to open a Word file I
get
> the following error messages:

> "A required .Dll file, MS097V.DLL, was not found."

> on clearing that, I get:

> "Cannot find the file 'C:\My Documents\...[or one of its components]. Make
> sure the path and file name are correct and that all required libraries
are
> available".

> Opening Excel files from My Documents works perfectly.

> Any ideas?

>* Furneaux

My Documents

Post by Richard G. Harpe » Wed, 18 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Your Word installation has become damaged and/or one of the essential files
is missing.  Just re-run the Microsoft Office Setup and it should offer you
the opportunity to repeat the last installation ... do that, it will
reinstall the core Office files and won't have any effect on your document,
spreadsheets, etc.

--

* NOTE - Private Email messages are generally not replied to
* Please post all questions and comments in the newsgroups.