Problem: System hangs every 20 seconds for only 1 second.

Problem: System hangs every 20 seconds for only 1 second.

Post by Michael in 't Vel » Tue, 07 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

I have a problem with a compu of a friend.
It seems that every 18-20 seconds the system hangs for approximately 1
second.
It doesn't matter if I am playing with the start-menu, cruising with the
mouse over the desktop or playing quake in single or multi player mode. The
system freezes for 1 second, 18 seconds of normal work, 1 second freeze ...
I have no idea where to look for the problem, let alone solve it.
Can anybody help me?

Thanks in advance,

Michael

Problem: System hangs every 20 seconds for only 1 second.

Post by Iri » Tue, 07 Mar 2000 04:00:00

If this person has MS Office on their system, it is likely Find Fast which
will bog you down like that.  Go to Start/Run and type "msconfig.exe"
without the quotes.  Find the Startup tab and disable it.  Once this is
done, follow this link to disable the indexing that Find Fast does...

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q158/7/05.asp

Iri

Quote:> Hi,

> I have a problem with a compu of a friend.
> It seems that every 18-20 seconds the system hangs for approximately 1
> second.
> It doesn't matter if I am playing with the start-menu, cruising with the
> mouse over the desktop or playing quake in single or multi player mode.
The
> system freezes for 1 second, 18 seconds of normal work, 1 second freeze
> I have no idea where to look for the problem, let alone solve it.
> Can anybody help me?

> Thanks in advance,

> Michael

Problem: System hangs every 20 seconds for only 1 second.

Post by cqui.. » Tue, 07 Mar 2000 04:00:00

On Mon, 6 Mar 2000 14:37:32 +0100, "Michael in 't Veld"

>I have a problem with a compu of a friend.
>It seems that every 18-20 seconds the system hangs for approximately 1
>second.
>It doesn't matter if I am playing with the start-menu, cruising with the
>mouse over the desktop or playing quake in single or multi player mode. The
>system freezes for 1 second, 18 seconds of normal work, 1 second freeze ...
>I have no idea where to look for the problem, let alone solve it.
>Can anybody help me?

One pause, check processor fan and heat sink

Four pauses, unbind TCP/IP from LAN card unless it's a TCP/IP LAN

If HD LED is on, no noise, suspect HD sector retries

If HD LED is on, regular noise, suspect HD cylinder retries

Else exclude malware, bad LAN cables, underfootware, RATs

First four assume mouse pointer sticks during pause

Quote:>--------------- ----- ---- --- -- -  -    -

Error Messages Are Your Friends
Bob code: KHok Lwdo EMD! CPEIV B-NAN O9x SCs
          T---- A6! H6(-8)omc
Quote:>--------------- ----- ---- --- -- -  -    -

1. Problem with System 'Hanging' for 20-30 seconds.

I've got a system with 2 x IDE HD's on the primary IDE channel and a CD rom
& DVD drive on the 2ndary. Fast PIII cpu, loads of memory etc.

Win 2k Professional seems fine and speedy on my system but every couple of
minutes, 'freezes' for 20-30 seconds, during which time the HDD light is on
constantly. If I just wait, the system continues fine. I've tried dropping
the IDE controller to PIO mode 4 on all four devices with no effect.

It's a ABIT BH6 mobo by the way....

Anybody got any thoughts ?

2. Deleting Standard TCP/IP Printer ports

3. slow network/every 15/20 min hangs network for few seconds

4. Xbox VGA Monitor

5. Inserting Image at 200 dpi Via Code (Plug-In)

6. Scrollbars in grid view

7. Mouse icon freezes every 20 seconds

8. Delay at Second Windows Splash Screen(20 Seconds)

9. W2K file server hangs every 2 seconds for2 to 4 seconds,