How to run a DOS program in DOS mode "automatically"?

How to run a DOS program in DOS mode "automatically"?

Post by Sam Brya » Mon, 24 Jan 2000 04:00:00

I just bought Norton Ghost to clone drive C to D. The documentation (only on
the CD) says that it is highly recommended that Ghost be run in DOS mode.
"Manually" that is no problem, but I would like to run this backup operation
automatically under the scheduler (say at 3AM every morning). Anyone know
how to do this? Presumably have the rescheduler reboot (but how to reboot in
DOS mode?), then run Ghost (with an autoexec.bat file?), then somehow reboot
in Windows mode?

Many thanks -- Sam

How to run a DOS program in DOS mode "automatically"?

Post by Lee Chapell » Mon, 24 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Use "batch mode". Read pages 95-114 of the Ghost .pdf manual.  Scheduler runs the batchfile from
a dos shortcut. Set the properties of the shortcut to enter Ms-dos mode without intervention.
There's a good example on page 101 of a batchfile

The batch job would run the backup i.e.

<path>:\ghost.exe  -clone,mode=pcopy,src=1:1,dst=2:1 -sure.

..add the EXIT command to make the machine reboot back to Windows when complete.
--
Lee Chapelle
MVP (DTS)

Quote:> I just bought Norton Ghost to clone drive C to D. The documentation (only on
> the CD) says that it is highly recommended that Ghost be run in DOS mode.
> "Manually" that is no problem, but I would like to run this backup operation
> automatically under the scheduler (say at 3AM every morning). Anyone know
> how to do this? Presumably have the rescheduler reboot (but how to reboot in
> DOS mode?), then run Ghost (with an autoexec.bat file?), then somehow reboot
> in Windows mode?

> Many thanks -- Sam

How to run a DOS program in DOS mode "automatically"?

Post by Sam Brya » Mon, 24 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Many thanks. I'll check that out. Question: will the approach ou give run in
DOS mode OUTSIDE of Windows, not in a DOS window? Page 23 of the Ghost
manual says that Ghost should run in DOS OUTSIDE of WIndows. Many thanks --
Sam

Quote:> Use "batch mode". Read pages 95-114 of the Ghost .pdf manual.  Scheduler

runs the batchfile from
Quote:> a dos shortcut. Set the properties of the shortcut to enter Ms-dos mode

without intervention.
> There's a good example on page 101 of a batchfile

> The batch job would run the backup i.e.

> <path>:\ghost.exe  -clone,mode=pcopy,src=1:1,dst=2:1 -sure.

> ..add the EXIT command to make the machine reboot back to Windows when
complete.
> --
> Lee Chapelle
> MVP (DTS)
> http://www.webdev.net/orca/
> http://members.home.com/mvp-l/
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/

> > I just bought Norton Ghost to clone drive C to D. The documentation
(only on
> > the CD) says that it is highly recommended that Ghost be run in DOS
mode.
> > "Manually" that is no problem, but I would like to run this backup
operation
> > automatically under the scheduler (say at 3AM every morning). Anyone
know
> > how to do this? Presumably have the rescheduler reboot (but how to
reboot in
> > DOS mode?), then run Ghost (with an autoexec.bat file?), then somehow
reboot
> > in Windows mode?

> > Many thanks -- Sam

How to run a DOS program in DOS mode "automatically"?

Post by Lee Chapell » Mon, 24 Jan 2000 04:00:00

I have run Ghost inside Windows quite often and it hasn't caused a problem, however I guess it
can. The method will run "outside" if you set your ghost shortcut up that way. Right click the
shortcut>Program tab> Advanced > check Ms-dos mode > uncheck "Warn before entering Ms-dos mode".
Now the task will drop you straight into pure dos. Using "EXIT" after the ghost batch line as an
extra command as shown in the example will restart the machine back to Windows (we hope)
--
Lee Chapelle
MVP (DTS)
http://www.webdev.net/orca/
http://members.home.com/mvp-l/
http://support.microsoft.com/support/

> Many thanks. I'll check that out. Question: will the approach ou give run in
> DOS mode OUTSIDE of Windows, not in a DOS window? Page 23 of the Ghost
> manual says that Ghost should run in DOS OUTSIDE of WIndows. Many thanks --
> Sam

> > Use "batch mode". Read pages 95-114 of the Ghost .pdf manual.  Scheduler
> runs the batchfile from
> > a dos shortcut. Set the properties of the shortcut to enter Ms-dos mode
> without intervention.
> > There's a good example on page 101 of a batchfile

> > The batch job would run the backup i.e.

> > <path>:\ghost.exe  -clone,mode=pcopy,src=1:1,dst=2:1 -sure.

> > ..add the EXIT command to make the machine reboot back to Windows when
> complete.
> > --
> > Lee Chapelle
> > MVP (DTS)
> > http://www.webdev.net/orca/
> > http://members.home.com/mvp-l/
> > http://support.microsoft.com/support/

> > > I just bought Norton Ghost to clone drive C to D. The documentation
> (only on
> > > the CD) says that it is highly recommended that Ghost be run in DOS
> mode.
> > > "Manually" that is no problem, but I would like to run this backup
> operation
> > > automatically under the scheduler (say at 3AM every morning). Anyone
> know
> > > how to do this? Presumably have the rescheduler reboot (but how to
> reboot in
> > > DOS mode?), then run Ghost (with an autoexec.bat file?), then somehow
> reboot
> > > in Windows mode?

> > > Many thanks -- Sam

How to run a DOS program in DOS mode "automatically"?

Post by Sam Brya » Tue, 25 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Many thanks Lee, I'll give it a try.  -- Sam

Quote:> I have run Ghost inside Windows quite often and it hasn't caused a

problem, however I guess it
Quote:> can. The method will run "outside" if you set your ghost shortcut up that

way. Right click the
Quote:> shortcut>Program tab> Advanced > check Ms-dos mode > uncheck "Warn before

entering Ms-dos mode".
Quote:> Now the task will drop you straight into pure dos. Using "EXIT" after the

ghost batch line as an
> extra command as shown in the example will restart the machine back to
Windows (we hope)
> --
> Lee Chapelle
> MVP (DTS)
> http://www.webdev.net/orca/
> http://members.home.com/mvp-l/
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/

> > Many thanks. I'll check that out. Question: will the approach ou give
run in
> > DOS mode OUTSIDE of Windows, not in a DOS window? Page 23 of the Ghost
> > manual says that Ghost should run in DOS OUTSIDE of WIndows. Many
thanks --
> > Sam

> > > Use "batch mode". Read pages 95-114 of the Ghost .pdf manual.
Scheduler
> > runs the batchfile from
> > > a dos shortcut. Set the properties of the shortcut to enter Ms-dos
mode
> > without intervention.
> > > There's a good example on page 101 of a batchfile

> > > The batch job would run the backup i.e.

> > > <path>:\ghost.exe  -clone,mode=pcopy,src=1:1,dst=2:1 -sure.

> > > ..add the EXIT command to make the machine reboot back to Windows when
> > complete.
> > > --
> > > Lee Chapelle
> > > MVP (DTS)
> > > http://www.webdev.net/orca/
> > > http://members.home.com/mvp-l/
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/support/

> > (only on
> > mode.
> > operation
> > know
> > reboot in
> > reboot

1. how to keep DOS window "live" after closing a DOS app?

Please help -- I'm a new Windows 2000 Professional user and I can't
figure out how to tell Win2K Pro to keep a CMD.EXE / DOS window open
and "alive" after a DOS application has closed.  When I close a DOS
app, the DOS window the app was running in seems to "die" and I have to
close the "dead" DOS window and open a new DOS window before I can
bring up another DOS app or execute a series of commands related to the
DOS app that I just closed.  This is an unbelievably time consuming
major pain in the butt.  Surely there's a workaround to make Win2K Pro
keep a DOS window open for users who need to rapid-fire a sequence of
DOS commands between DOS applications . . . isn't there?  Oh man I sure
hope so or I'll just about be out of work.  Any advice / assistance
greatly appreciated!!

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

2. Resent-From value when bouncing

3. how to keep DOS window "live" after closing DOS app??

4. Pointer to Guide to Pegasus Mail Addons List

5. Environment Variables Have "LOST" Association In DOS/Command Prompt Modes

6. FP98 install errors. Help please

7. "Start" "Run" "????????"

8. This is a short test

9. Automatically "Close" a running program

10. Help with writing "PATHS" to use program w/ "RUN"

11. Jargon--"dos compatibility mode"?? Means what?

12. "Restart in MD-DOS Mode" Doesn't

13. Cant quit to "restart to dos mode after existing win98se"