Help : formatting 'unformatted' floppies under Win98SE

Help : formatting 'unformatted' floppies under Win98SE

Post by Ice' » Sat, 08 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Hi all,

All Win98 SE systems in our workplace seem to hang for nearly the best
part of 10 minutes before proceeding to format '*' discs.
Dropping to command prompt works, which I have no problem with, but
does anyone know of a registry mod or *.ini configuration change to
tell Win98 to get on with it?

I tried searching the microsoft knowledge base but as usual, could not
find anything of value.

Ice'y

Help : formatting 'unformatted' floppies under Win98SE

Post by Bill Jame » Sat, 08 Apr 2000 04:00:00

I have not seen this myself.  Do you have a virus scanner running that checks floppies on access?  If so, try disabling that temporarily to see if there is any difference.

--

Bill James
Microsoft MVPDTS

?Free Win9x VBScript Utilities?
http://www.veryComputer.com/~wgjames/vbspage/

> Hi all,

> All Win98 SE systems in our workplace seem to hang for nearly the best
> part of 10 minutes before proceeding to format '*' discs.
> Dropping to command prompt works, which I have no problem with, but
> does anyone know of a registry mod or *.ini configuration change to
> tell Win98 to get on with it?

> I tried searching the microsoft knowledge base but as usual, could not
> find anything of value.

> Ice'y

1. Don't have access to floppy, Can't format or read it

Hi,
I have Windows2000 with ntfs file system. There was a problem with windows
and after repaired it, I cannot access my floppy, format or read from it. It
appear like icon in My Computer. When I tried to format diskette it told me
that - "Windows was unable to complete format. Disk cannot be formatted".
When I tried to read from floppy it told me that disk is not formatted. :(
Does somebody know what is the problem or give me a clue how to fix it.

Dessie

2. TSR using DOS Extender. How?

3. Win2K can't read 3.5 floppy's formatted by Win95

4. BA & PPPoE & Disconects - Need Workarounds

5. My floppy disk won't format! Help!!!

6. Good fax-solution for Domino on NT-Server?

7. Page File '''HELP'''

8. No unsolicited input notification with VMS V5.2?

9. Floppy disk doesn't 'refresh' in Explorer

10. floppy 'A' won't work

11. floppy disk can't format?

12. Why does win98 always '20 times/day' check my A: drive 'HELP'