Windows 98 - Shutdown

Post by Bobby McNea » Thu, 10 Apr 2003 09:58:23

I am running Windows 98.  Recently, i have been
experiencing a problem shutting down the system properly.
When i select "shutdown" from the menu, I get a
message "the program is not responding.  Please
select ""wait". "cancel", or "end task".  No matter which
option i choose, the system will not shutdown properly,
which forces me to power down the computer.  HELP ANYONE!!

thanks
Bobby

Windows 98 - Shutdown

Post by Rick » Thu, 10 Apr 2003 11:36:16

Hi Bobby,

First, try this: Start/run msconfig, on the general tab click advanced. Put a check in "disable fast shutdown", click ok/apply/ok and reboot.

If this doesn't help, or if the option is not available (because you installed the Win98SE shutdown supplement), then try the troubleshooters here:

http://www.aumha.org/a/shutdown.htm

Written by Microsoft  MVP James Eshelman

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers aka "Nutcase" MS-MVP - Win9x - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Associate Expert - WinXP - Expert Zone - www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Win98 Help - www.rickrogers.org

> I am running Windows 98.  Recently, i have been
> experiencing a problem shutting down the system properly.
> When i select "shutdown" from the menu, I get a
> message "the program is not responding.  Please
> select ""wait". "cancel", or "end task".  No matter which
> option i choose, the system will not shutdown properly,
> which forces me to power down the computer.  HELP ANYONE!!

> thanks
> Bobby

1. Windows 98 Shutdown-Windows Protection Error

Whenever I shutdown Windows 98 I receive the following errror (in a DOS
screen, not a GUI screen)
"Windows Protection Error.  You need to restart your computer.  Press any
key to continue."

If I press any key 98 does shut down but I sure would like to know what is
causing this problem and fix it.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Robin Atler