Follow up to "IE Pissing me off"

Post by Duke1 » Sat, 07 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Ok my problem still has not gone away, but I will do need to reword it.
How can I stop IE (Internet Explorer) from monitoring the clipboard.
Now, I will say that before I didn't mention that IE was already open, but I
just realized it did have to be open for the problem to exist.
Here comes how to reproduce the problem:
Open IE
Open notepad
Type http://crap.com
then high light the link using the LEFT mouse button, then click the RIGHT
mouse button and choose copy (or hit Ctrl-C).
Now here's comes the problem, as soon as you copy that link, IE goes to the
address (http://crap.com). WHY?????
This is irritating, as I'm browsing a website, I see a link I want to look
at later so I copy it down, so I can paste it somewhere to store it, but no
IE has other plans, it decides to go there right away.
SO, How do I disable IE from monitoring the clipboard???????

Now I've tried all the ideas that where thrown out earlier, like closing all
other programs, but nothing, still IE open the page up.

Please, Please, Please someone tell me how to stop it from doing this,
before I have to go download Netscape.

--

Duke16

The day MS starts making vacuum cleaners is the day they make a product that
doesn't suck

Follow up to "IE Pissing me off"

Post by Sir Georg » Sat, 07 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Duke16:

The problem, I think, is you are left clicking the link and then right
clicking to use the copy command. Just go to the address bar and place the
cursor anywhere in the text and right click, then select copy. I do it all
the time and never encounter the situation where the browser tries to go to
the link.

--
Sir George
(please do not reply to my e-mail address)

> Ok my problem still has not gone away, but I will do need to reword it.
> How can I stop IE (Internet Explorer) from monitoring the clipboard.
> Now, I will say that before I didn't mention that IE was already open, but
> just realized it did have to be open for the problem to exist.
> Here comes how to reproduce the problem:
> Open IE
> Open notepad
> Type http://crap.com
> then high light the link using the LEFT mouse button, then click the RIGHT
> mouse button and choose copy (or hit Ctrl-C).
> Now here's comes the problem, as soon as you copy that link, IE goes to
the
> address (http://crap.com). WHY?????
> This is irritating, as I'm browsing a website, I see a link I want to look
> at later so I copy it down, so I can paste it somewhere to store it, but
no
> IE has other plans, it decides to go there right away.
> SO, How do I disable IE from monitoring the clipboard???????

> Now I've tried all the ideas that where thrown out earlier, like closing
all
> other programs, but nothing, still IE open the page up.

> Please, Please, Please someone tell me how to stop it from doing this,
> before I have to go download Netscape.

> --

> Duke16

> The day MS starts making vacuum cleaners is the day they make a product
that
> doesn't suck

Follow up to "IE Pissing me off"

Post by Don » Sat, 07 Aug 1999 04:00:00

No matter how you click on it in Notepad it should not go to the link
because Notepad should not convert it to a link like the Message window
does. Strange! I just tried it several times.

Don Littleton

(remove x for replies)

>Ok my problem still has not gone away, but I will do need to reword it.
>How can I stop IE (Internet Explorer) from monitoring the clipboard.
>Now, I will say that before I didn't mention that IE was already open, but
>just realized it did have to be open for the problem to exist.
>Here comes how to reproduce the problem:
>Open IE
>Open notepad
>Type http://crap.com
>then high light the link using the LEFT mouse button, then click the RIGHT
>mouse button and choose copy (or hit Ctrl-C).
>Now here's comes the problem, as soon as you copy that link, IE goes to the
>address (http://crap.com). WHY?????
>This is irritating, as I'm browsing a website, I see a link I want to look
>at later so I copy it down, so I can paste it somewhere to store it, but no
>IE has other plans, it decides to go there right away.
>SO, How do I disable IE from monitoring the clipboard???????

>Now I've tried all the ideas that where thrown out earlier, like closing
all
>other programs, but nothing, still IE open the page up.

>Please, Please, Please someone tell me how to stop it from doing this,
>before I have to go download Netscape.

>--

>Duke16

>The day MS starts making vacuum cleaners is the day they make a product
that
>doesn't suck

Follow up to "IE Pissing me off"

Post by Duke1 » Sat, 07 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Okey what are you talking about the address bar for? Did you read my whole
message, it doesnt have anything to do with coping from the IE address bar.

> Duke16:

> The problem, I think, is you are left clicking the link and then right
> clicking to use the copy command. Just go to the address bar and place the
> cursor anywhere in the text and right click, then select copy. I do it all
> the time and never encounter the situation where the browser tries to go
> the link.

> --
> Sir George
> (please do not reply to my e-mail address)

> > Ok my problem still has not gone away, but I will do need to reword it.
> > How can I stop IE (Internet Explorer) from monitoring the clipboard.
> > Now, I will say that before I didn't mention that IE was already open,
but
> > just realized it did have to be open for the problem to exist.
> > Here comes how to reproduce the problem:
> > Open IE
> > Open notepad
> > Type http://crap.com
> > then high light the link using the LEFT mouse button, then click the
RIGHT
> > mouse button and choose copy (or hit Ctrl-C).
> > Now here's comes the problem, as soon as you copy that link, IE goes to
> the
> > address (http://crap.com). WHY?????
> > This is irritating, as I'm browsing a website, I see a link I want to
look
> > at later so I copy it down, so I can paste it somewhere to store it, but
> no
> > IE has other plans, it decides to go there right away.
> > SO, How do I disable IE from monitoring the clipboard???????

> > Now I've tried all the ideas that where thrown out earlier, like closing
> all
> > other programs, but nothing, still IE open the page up.

> > Please, Please, Please someone tell me how to stop it from doing this,
> > before I have to go download Netscape.

> > --

> > Duke16

> > The day MS starts making vacuum cleaners is the day they make a product
> that
> > doesn't suck

Follow up to "IE Pissing me off"

Post by Joe Victorin » Sat, 07 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Try dropping the first left click.
right click on the link and select copy shortcut
I keep a notepad window open to store links.

I hope that works for you.

Joe

> Ok my problem still has not gone away, but I will do need to reword it.
> How can I stop IE (Internet Explorer) from monitoring the clipboard.
> Now, I will say that before I didn't mention that IE was already open, but
> just realized it did have to be open for the problem to exist.
> Here comes how to reproduce the problem:
> Open IE
> Open notepad
> Type http://crap.com
> then high light the link using the LEFT mouse button, then click the RIGHT
> mouse button and choose copy (or hit Ctrl-C).
> Now here's comes the problem, as soon as you copy that link, IE goes to
the
> address (http://crap.com). WHY?????
> This is irritating, as I'm browsing a website, I see a link I want to look
> at later so I copy it down, so I can paste it somewhere to store it, but
no
> IE has other plans, it decides to go there right away.
> SO, How do I disable IE from monitoring the clipboard???????

> Now I've tried all the ideas that where thrown out earlier, like closing
all
> other programs, but nothing, still IE open the page up.

> Please, Please, Please someone tell me how to stop it from doing this,
> before I have to go download Netscape.

> --

> Duke16

> The day MS starts making vacuum cleaners is the day they make a product
that
> doesn't suck

Follow up to "IE Pissing me off"

Post by Knows9 » Sun, 08 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Duke16, sorry I was unable to reproduce the effect you describe.
As for a link you want to save, right-click the link and select: Copy
Shortcut
You can then paste to Notepad. The only possibility I can think of is in:
Internet Options | turn off the 2 options for Auto-complete, click Apply\Ok

Also do you have the "single-click" option enabled in Explorer ?
View | Folder Options | General tab | Custom button

Also enable the "Detect accidental double-clicks" option in Explorer.
View | Folder Options | View tab, click Apply\Ok

Custom Concepts Electronic Support Center
"Troubleshooting Self-Inflicted User Problems"
http://members.aol.com/Knows98/index.htm
Please post replies to this Newsgroup
[remove NO from email address to reply directly]

> Ok my problem still has not gone away, but I will do need to reword it.
> How can I stop IE (Internet Explorer) from monitoring the clipboard.
> Now, I will say that before I didn't mention that IE was already open, but
> just realized it did have to be open for the problem to exist.
> Here comes how to reproduce the problem:
> Open IE
> Open notepad
> Type http://crap.com
> then high light the link using the LEFT mouse button, then click the RIGHT
> mouse button and choose copy (or hit Ctrl-C).
> Now here's comes the problem, as soon as you copy that link, IE goes to
the
> address (http://crap.com). WHY?????
> This is irritating, as I'm browsing a website, I see a link I want to look
> at later so I copy it down, so I can paste it somewhere to store it, but
no
> IE has other plans, it decides to go there right away.
> SO, How do I disable IE from monitoring the clipboard???????

> Now I've tried all the ideas that where thrown out earlier, like closing
all
> other programs, but nothing, still IE open the page up.

> Please, Please, Please someone tell me how to stop it from doing this,
> before I have to go download Netscape.

> --

> Duke16

> The day MS starts making vacuum cleaners is the day they make a product
that
> doesn't suck

Follow up to "IE Pissing me off"

Post by Mimi- » Sun, 08 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Are we supposed to put the shortcuts into notepad?  I've just been stuffing them into an empty folder on my desktop, and they work just fine.
Mimi_R

> Duke16, sorry I was unable to reproduce the effect you describe.
> As for a link you want to save, right-click the link and select: Copy
> Shortcut
> You can then paste to Notepad.

Follow up to "IE Pissing me off"

Post by Duke1 » Sun, 08 Aug 1999 04:00:00

How's that going to help when coping from something else, I don't just copy
URL's from IE. Other programs don't have a copy as shortcut.
All I want to know is how to stop this from happening, and if its happening
to anyone else.

> Try dropping the first left click.
> right click on the link and select copy shortcut
> I keep a notepad window open to store links.

> I hope that works for you.

> Joe

> > Ok my problem still has not gone away, but I will do need to reword it.
> > How can I stop IE (Internet Explorer) from monitoring the clipboard.
> > Now, I will say that before I didn't mention that IE was already open,
but
> > just realized it did have to be open for the problem to exist.
> > Here comes how to reproduce the problem:
> > Open IE
> > Open notepad
> > Type http://crap.com
> > then high light the link using the LEFT mouse button, then click the
RIGHT
> > mouse button and choose copy (or hit Ctrl-C).
> > Now here's comes the problem, as soon as you copy that link, IE goes to
> the
> > address (http://crap.com). WHY?????
> > This is irritating, as I'm browsing a website, I see a link I want to
look
> > at later so I copy it down, so I can paste it somewhere to store it, but
> no
> > IE has other plans, it decides to go there right away.
> > SO, How do I disable IE from monitoring the clipboard???????

> > Now I've tried all the ideas that where thrown out earlier, like closing
> all
> > other programs, but nothing, still IE open the page up.

> > Please, Please, Please someone tell me how to stop it from doing this,
> > before I have to go download Netscape.

> > --

> > Duke16

> > The day MS starts making vacuum cleaners is the day they make a product
> that
> > doesn't suck

Follow up to "IE Pissing me off"

Post by Duke1 » Sun, 08 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I have no active Desktop *on
I do I detect accidental double clicks on, but I don't see how that has
anything to do with my problem

What... The shortcut being http://www.fkdslfjds.com,  not the file that IE saves when you make a bookmark

  Are we supposed to put the shortcuts into notepad?  I've just been stuffing them into an empty folder on my desktop, and they work just fine.
  Mimi_R

  > Duke16, sorry I was unable to reproduce the effect you describe.
  > As for a link you want to save, right-click the link and select: Copy
  > Shortcut
  > You can then paste to Notepad.

Follow up to "IE Pissing me off"

Post by Gary Woodruf » Sun, 08 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Do you really want to fix what you say is a problem?  I tried what you
suggested with IE on and could not duplicate your problem.  Knows 98
also told you he could not duplicate the event and then suggested you
check one setting in IE and two in Explorer.  All three suggestions
are good ones and he did not mention anything about the active
Desktop.  Your answer is nonresponsive to two of the suggestions he
made.  If you want to figure out what appears to be something only you
are experiencing I would suggest you at least try what people suggest
and then report back as to whether it worked.  BTW you never have
responded whether just right clicking on the URL and saving leaving
out the left clicking first made any difference.

Gary Woodruff

"That'll be the day"
John Wayne in The Searchers

Post by Robert McGrego » Sun, 08 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Sic him, Gary.

--
Information for the masses
Robert

> Do you really want to fix what you say is a problem?  I tried what you
> suggested with IE on and could not duplicate your problem.  Knows 98
> also told you he could not duplicate the event and then suggested you
> check one setting in IE and two in Explorer.  All three suggestions
> are good ones and he did not mention anything about the active
> Desktop.  Your answer is nonresponsive to two of the suggestions he
> made.  If you want to figure out what appears to be something only you
> are experiencing I would suggest you at least try what people suggest
> and then report back as to whether it worked.  BTW you never have
> responded whether just right clicking on the URL and saving leaving
> out the left clicking first made any difference.

> Gary Woodruff

> "That'll be the day"
> John Wayne in The Searchers

> >I have no active Desktop *on
> >I do I detect accidental double clicks on, but I don't see how that
> has
> >anything to do with my problem

> >> Duke16, sorry I was unable to reproduce the effect you describe.
> >> As for a link you want to save, right-click the link and select:
> Copy
> >> Shortcut
> >> You can then paste to Notepad. The only possibility I can think of
> is in:
> >> Internet Options | turn off the 2 options for Auto-complete, click
> >Apply\Ok

> >> Also do you have the "single-click" option enabled in Explorer ?
> >> View | Folder Options | General tab | Custom button

> >> Also enable the "Detect accidental double-clicks" option in
> Explorer.
> >> View | Folder Options | View tab, click Apply\Ok

> >> Custom Concepts Electronic Support Center
> >> "Troubleshooting Self-Inflicted User Problems"
> >> http://www.veryComputer.com/
> >> Please post replies to this Newsgroup
> >> [remove NO from email address to reply directly]

> reword it.
> clipboard.
> open,
> >but
> the
> >RIGHT
> goes to
> >> the
> want to
> >look
> it, but
> >> no

> closing
> >> all

> this,

> product
> >> that

Follow up to "IE Pissing me off"

Post by Duke1 » Sun, 08 Aug 1999 04:00:00

When you JUST right click on a URL in notepad to copy in nothing happened
because you are not coping the URL
I don't know why know one else has is experiencing this
All I do is have a URL in notepad while IE is open I highlight the URL and
hit Ctrl-C to copy and IE opens the page.
I have tried every suggestion made to date, and this still happens, there
must be someone else out there who this is happening too.

Post by Bob Byrn » Sun, 08 Aug 1999 04:00:00

>Are we supposed to put the shortcuts into notepad?  I've just been stuffing them into an empty folder on my desktop, >and they work just fine.

Or better still, create a Temp folder in Favorites and put them there, that's what it's for.  Right-click on the link and select "Add to Favorites".

I tried the Notepad method and even made sure I copied the Carriage Return as well but IE didn't try to open the site so I don't know what's going on there.

--
Bob Byrne
Ballina, NSW, Australia

Follow up to "IE Pissing me off"

Post by Gary Woodruf » Sun, 08 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Well so far we can't seem to find one.  I would appear that there is
something about your particular setup that disallows the actions you
wish to make.  If you have checked the three settings Knows98
suggested,

 The only possibility I can think of is in:
Internet Options | turn off the 2 options for Auto-complete, click
Apply\Ok

Also do you have the "single-click" option enabled in Explorer ?
View | Folder Options | General tab | Custom button   (if you do
disable it)

Also enable the "Detect accidental double-clicks" option in Explorer.
View | Folder Options | View tab, click Apply\Ok

then you are probably going to have to take one of the other methods
people suggested as a workaround.  Maybe someone will recognize what
setting you have set different but it doesn't look promising.  I even
tried using Ctrl C as you stated this time instead of right click copy
and I can not make my machine do what yours is doing.

Gary Woodruff

"That'll be the day"
John Wayne in The Searchers