If you are angry about the cancellation of the MVP Program

If you are angry about the cancellation of the MVP Program

Post by Lee Chapell » Sat, 23 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Send your well crafted complaints to

Joseph Lindstrom
Director Business Development

--
Lee

If you are angry about the cancellation of the MVP Program

Post by renoma » Sat, 23 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Is the MVP program canceled?   If it is I am VERY angry!!

--
renoman

> Send your well crafted complaints to

> Joseph Lindstrom
> Director Business Development

> --
> Lee

If you are angry about the cancellation of the MVP Program

Post by renoma » Sat, 23 Oct 1999 04:00:00

OK I have scrolled down and read all the posts......... All I have to say is
this....Two years ago I bought my first computer and was totally computer
illiterate. Everything (and it is not that much) that I have learned about
the inner workings of this computer have been learned by reading and posting
to these newsgroups. I have received help from many of the MVP's and it has
always impressed me the way that they tirelessly answer the same questions
from us newbies over and over again. I personally think Microsoft is making
a huge mistake by deleting this program and hope they soon regret it. And to
all of the MVP's that have helped me out over the last two years I thank you
all again for the time and patience you have had. Hopefully there will
evolve some sort of forum where I will be able to ask questions to the likes
of you and not some "paid robot" afraid for his job to say what might really
be ailing my system....

--
renoman

Yes it has been cancelled.
--

For direct access to to all Microsoft newsgroups:

Hope this helps.

Sandi
1999 MS-MVP DTS
Please reply only to the newsgroup

: Is the MVP program canceled?   If it is I am VERY angry!!
:
: --
: renoman
:
:
:

: > Send your well crafted complaints to
: >
: > Joseph Lindstrom
: > Director Business Development

: >
: > --
: > Lee
: >
: >
: >
:
:

If you are angry about the cancellation of the MVP Program

Post by Lee Chapell » Sat, 23 Oct 1999 04:00:00

We don't know for sure. The official MS position is that it's based on
customer feedback, which I find a ridiculous statement in the extreme. It's
a corporate decision, possibly relating to the AOL fiasco, where a group a
volunteers sued for wages under the labor act when asked to commit so many
hours in support in exchange for online time. MS must know that customer
support will suffer, unless they plan to hire 100's of online support staff
real soon.
--
Lee
just a user like you..

Randy wrote ...
Why? the MVP's are the biggest reasons these newsgroups are so useful!

:Yes it has been cancelled.

If you are angry about the cancellation of the MVP Program

Post by Neal J. Duit » Sat, 23 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Good Evening Lee,

I just got wind of what has happened here to all of the MVP's. All that I
can say is that what Microsoft has done is a disgrace. Like many others here
I got my first modern PC back in 1996 after a long absence from computers.
All that I have learned since then I have learned from reading the posts on
these news groups. I cannot adequately state how much you and ALL of the
MVP's have done for everyone here. As others before me have stated you have
saved me countless hours and dollars by proving a viable alternative to
Microsoft support. Additionally, you have made the posts an interesting and
enjoyable learning experience. It is because of the MVP's that I have built
my first computer this year, and it works great, thanks in large part to
your "support."

I just want to take this time to thank each and every one of you for all
that you have done in support of the computer community.

Kindest Regards,

Neal Duitz

> We don't know for sure. The official MS position is that it's based on
> customer feedback, which I find a ridiculous statement in the extreme.
It's
> a corporate decision, possibly relating to the AOL fiasco, where a group a
> volunteers sued for wages under the labor act when asked to commit so many
> hours in support in exchange for online time. MS must know that customer
> support will suffer, unless they plan to hire 100's of online support
staff
> real soon.
> --
> Lee
> just a user like you..

> Randy wrote ...
> Why? the MVP's are the biggest reasons these newsgroups are so useful!

> :Yes it has been cancelled.

If you are angry about the cancellation of the MVP Program

Post by Sandi Hardmeie » Sun, 24 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Yes it has been cancelled.
--

[...]

Post by Lee Chapell » Sun, 24 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Ya, I can live with it too :>)

life goes on

Lee

Plom? wrote

Quote:> Doesn't bother me a bit !!! <grin>

Post by M. Spyridaki » Sun, 24 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> Ya, I can live with it too :>)

> Lee
> Plom? wrote

> Doesn't bother me a bit !!! <grin>

***
Somehow I don't think Lee, Ron Badour,  JAE or most of the other MVP's need
Microsoft, MVP 'status', or these newsgroups to make them a valuable part of
the internet community (nor to resolve their own computer problems...)

We don't know what the future holds and I expect for the short term you will
rely on the same friendly names we all know and love. (I will continue to
trust those names more than some young (sorry Lee) 'wet behind the ears'
tech support person at MS.)

It is safe to say these newsgroups will not really be "peer-to-peer" as
noted on the current web site http://support.microsoft.com/support/news/

It may be an interesting transition... I'm waiting to see how conflicting
advice from the two camps is handled...  and the last time I looked, "good"
tech support was not cheap (except as provided on the usenet groups of
course)...  get your credit cards ready boys & girls or head for the true
peer to peer groups...

Regards to all,
Max

If you are angry about the cancellation of the MVP Program

Post by James A. Eshelma » Sun, 24 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Is the MVP program canceled?   If it is I am VERY angry!!

Yes. After November 30. See multiple threads on the subject here.

--
James A. Eshelman [MS MVP / DTS]
(for best taste, use before 12/1/99)

If you are angry about the cancellation of the MVP Program

Post by James A. Eshelma » Sun, 24 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Why? the MVP's are the biggest reasons these newsgroups are so useful!

The MVP program is being replaced by the appearance of paid Microsoft
support staff on these newsgroups. It is not yet clear what other changes,
if any, may occur.

If you have opinions about this, I suggest following Lee's suggestion of
where to send your views. Mr. Lindstrom actively solicited opinion in his
letter to me.

Otherwise, people who frequent this group owe it to themselves, I think, to
see how the new system settles in before planning to abandon these
newsgroups. None of us knows yet how this will turn out -- including
Microsoft!

--
James A. Eshelman [MS MVP / DTS]
(for best taste, use before 12/1/99)
Presently seeking employment in LA Area
See: Windows 95/98 Support page at http://members.xoom.com/Khephra
Visit the OnComputers support newsgroup at:

If you are angry about the cancellation of the MVP Program

Post by Patty MacDuffi » Sun, 24 Oct 1999 04:00:00

We're working on it, renoman.  Will certainly post here when things get
sorted out as to exactly what avenue that will be.
--
Patty,
MS MVP, Desktop Systems

> OK I have scrolled down and read all the posts......... All I have to
say is
> this....Two years ago I bought my first computer and was totally
computer
> illiterate. Everything (and it is not that much) that I have learned
about
> the inner workings of this computer have been learned by reading and
posting
> to these newsgroups. I have received help from many of the MVP's and
it has
> always impressed me the way that they tirelessly answer the same
questions
> from us newbies over and over again. I personally think Microsoft is
making
> a huge mistake by deleting this program and hope they soon regret it.
And to
> all of the MVP's that have helped me out over the last two years I
thank you
> all again for the time and patience you have had. Hopefully there will
> evolve some sort of forum where I will be able to ask questions to the
likes
> of you and not some "paid robot" afraid for his job to say what might
really
> be ailing my system....

> --
> renoman

> Yes it has been cancelled.
> --

> For direct access to to all Microsoft newsgroups:

> Hope this helps.

> Sandi
> 1999 MS-MVP DTS
> Please reply only to the newsgroup

> : Is the MVP program canceled?   If it is I am VERY angry!!
> :
> : --
> : renoman
> :
> :
> :

> : > Send your well crafted complaints to
> : >
> : > Joseph Lindstrom
> : > Director Business Development

> : >
> : > --
> : > Lee
> : >
> : >
> : >
> :
> :

1. Microsoft's Cancellation of the MVP Program

To: Joseph Lindstrom
      Director Business Development

From: Douglas Knox

Dear Mr. Lindstrom,

I have to say, I believe that Microsoft's cancelling of the MVP Program is a
serious mistake.  I have never been happy with Microsoft's Technical Support
staff.  They have yet to successfully help me solve a problem.

However, one or more of the MVP volunteers in the win98.gen_discussion group
will have the right answer, know where to find it, or will research the
living daylights out of the problem to help find a solution.   It is a rare
occurrence when they resort to "Sorry, we don't know what the problem is."
or "You'll have to re-install the operating system."

Their knowledge of the Registry, Windows 98, and various types of hardware
make them an invaluable resource.   I know they have helped me a number of
times, and I've tried to return that favor by helping whenever I can.

Again, cancelling this program is a very, very bad idea, in my honest
opinion, and I will be sorry to see them go.

Sincerely,

Doug Knox

2. 4th Dimension on Appleshare ?

3. Stumper for MVPs and others - "Invalid unit writing device IFS"

4. Retrieving NT Security user names...

5. MVP Program not Y2K Complient -- No More MVPs as of December 1, 1999

6. uncompressing a file

7. MVP and Non MVP help needed

8. Help buying Macs

9. How to mount \Program Files? (MVPs please read)

10. Am I admin or am I not Admin, that is the question.

11. MS-MVP program question

12. MVP Program reinstated