"Disk free space" grossly incorrect in Explorer

"Disk free space" grossly incorrect in Explorer

Post by John Hup » Tue, 06 Apr 1999 04:00:00

The status bar in Explorer reports 1.69MB disk free space, but Properties
for C: reports 300-some MB free disk space.  A DIR command in an MS-DOS
prompt box likewise reports plenty of free space.

This machine has a 540MB HDD.  Currently it has a single FAT16 partition on
which I am running DriveSpace.  But previously I had it set up with FAT32
and no compression.  Explorer reports disk free space incorrectly in both
cases.

Scandisk turns up no problems.

I have seen this problem reported in several newsgroup articles, with no
explanation or solution so far.  One writer was experiencing a consequence
of this problem (a shutdown error), for which there was a reply that
addressed the consequence but not the basic problem.  Searches on "free disk
space" for Win98 get no results at Microsoft tech support.

Anyone?

John Hupp
PRP Company

"Disk free space" grossly incorrect in Explorer

Post by Bob Nobl » Mon, 12 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I'm just curious if the swap file may have something to do with this.

--
Bob Noble
Home of PC-Newbie list

Quote:> The status bar in Explorer reports 1.69MB disk free space, but Properties
> for C: reports 300-some MB free disk space.  A DIR command in an MS-DOS
> prompt box likewise reports plenty of free space.

> This machine has a 540MB HDD.  Currently it has a single FAT16 partition
on
> which I am running DriveSpace.  But previously I had it set up with FAT32
> and no compression.  Explorer reports disk free space incorrectly in both
> cases.

> Scandisk turns up no problems.

> I have seen this problem reported in several newsgroup articles, with no
> explanation or solution so far.  One writer was experiencing a consequence
> of this problem (a shutdown error), for which there was a reply that
> addressed the consequence but not the basic problem.  Searches on "free
disk
> space" for Win98 get no results at Microsoft tech support.

> Anyone?

> John Hupp
> PRP Company

1. Incorrect "Insufficient Disk Space Message"

I recently received an "insufficient disk space" error while running
Paradox. I freed up additional space, but continue to receive the same
error.

I then tried reinstalling Paradox and WordPerfect 8. I noticed that the
installation programs are not recognizing all of the free space on the
hard drive. For example, it says that there are 400 MB of space
available for installation when there is really 750MB available
(according to Windows 98).

Anybody have an idea what could cause this problem and how to fix it?

If so, please post and email a response to

Thanks, FRANK

"Creativity: the power to connect the seemingly unconnected."
                              -William Plomer
                          ===============
       "Creative Quotations to Inspire Creative Thinking"
         are available for more than 1,000 famous people
                 at http://www.bemorecreative.com

--
Regards, FRANK

"Creativity: the power to connect the seemingly unconnected."
                              -William Plomer
                          ===============
       "Creative Quotations to Inspire Creative Thinking"
         are available for more than 1,000 famous people
                 at http://www.bemorecreative.com

2. Configuring Win2000 Server

3. "Not enough free disk space" error exporting Access report

4. Reverse thrust - best way to set up assignments

5. missing "disk free space" status

6. Bulleten Board Building

7. " Hard Disk is Full " - Despite 1.10 Gb Free space

8. Incorrect free disk space reported by Windows Explorer

9. Explorer "Read" access but deny "copy" and "write"

10. Findingf"search" of "windows explorer"-not internet explorer.

11. "Hard Disk Full" messages although disk has 5Gb of space left!

12. Scheduled Disk Cleanup, "Result: User canceled disk space scanning operation(2)."