Registry Files

Post by Captain Nem » Fri, 21 Mar 2003 18:02:02

I recently installed an Autocad program that hung up during installation.

Now, I cannot uninstall as it always thinks it is resuming and where it
hangs again.

I am having a mental breakdown!

I can't remember how to get into the registry files to delete any reference
to it.

Any help would be appreciated

Al  Zimer

---

Registry Files

Post by Alan Edward » Fri, 21 Mar 2003 18:18:43

Start-Run-Regedit will get you into the Registry but that is not
necessarily going to fix your problem.
If it doesn't, then supply information like the exact message you
receive and when you receive it.

...Alan
--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Captain Nemo"

>I recently installed an Autocad program that hung up during installation.

>Now, I cannot uninstall as it always thinks it is resuming and where it
>hangs again.

>I am having a mental breakdown!

>I can't remember how to get into the registry files to delete any reference
>to it.

>Any help would be appreciated

>Al  Zimer

Registry Files

Post by Eric Leg » Fri, 21 Mar 2003 21:15:25

>Subject: Registry Files

>Date: 20/03/03 01:02 Pacific Standard Time

>I recently installed an Autocad program that hung up during installation.

>Now, I cannot uninstall as it always thinks it is resuming and where it
>hangs again.

>I am having a mental breakdown!

>I can't remember how to get into the registry files to delete any reference
>to it.

>Any help would be appreciated

>Al  Zimer

I would delete the program's folder in Windows Explorer, and then use the
scanreg /restore trick to back-date the system files.

SCANREG

Start up and press the F8 or Control key to bring up the boot menu. Select to
boot into the DOS command line. Enter scanreg /restore. You will be presented
with several CAB files that contain backups of the Windows Registry and other
critical system files. Restore one that predates the problem and that should
allow Windows to boot properly.

Since the restored CAB file (one of a default of five CAB files in the
C:\Windows\SYSBCKUP folder) contains the system files - user.dat, system.dat,
win.ini, and system.ini - was created on a pariculr date, any changes that were
made to the system after that date will have to be repeated.

You will obviously not repeat any change that you suspect caused the problem in
the first place unless you want to make sure that it was indeed the cause of
that problem.

Eric,

PC Buyer Beware!

http://www.legge40.freeserve.co.uk/BuyerBeware.htm