OT: Computer finds only 32 MB of RAM with two 32 MB EDO SIMMs

OT: Computer finds only 32 MB of RAM with two 32 MB EDO SIMMs

Post by Rich and Bridget Arnol » Wed, 28 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Greetings,
Got me a head scratcher...I want to upgrade my RAM from 32 MB to 80 MB.
Currently I have in bank 0, two 8 MB EDO SIMMs and in bank 1 two 8 MB FP SIMMs for a system total of 32 MB...working fine.
Purchased two 32 MB EDO SIMMs (60ns) from Circuit City (Centon brand).
Yet when putting in the 2-32s and the 2-8s (EDO) for a total of 80 MB, the computer only sees 48 MB.  Have tried the 32s in bank 0 and 8s in bank 1 and switched them.
Have had only the two 32s in bank 0 and computer only sees 32 MB vice 64 MB.  (Mobo says for this config, 32s need to be in bank 0).
This same thing happened with PNY memory from Best Buy.
The only thing I can think of is that the Mobo requires 70ns speed.
Any thoughts?  I've search the BIOS for any manual configuration but no joy.
Thanx for any suggestions.

--
Rich Arnold
http://www.n-link.com/~stpc

OT: Computer finds only 32 MB of RAM with two 32 MB EDO SIMMs

Post by Bert » Wed, 28 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Hi Rich

Start by only using the new memory chips only.
If I understand you correctly, you have 2 - 32mb chips?
Install the chips as per the motherboard manual. Usually
in the first two banks.
Check to see if a CMOS setting is disabling some of the RAM.
If there's an integrated video card it may be using up some of the memory.
Reboot the system and look at the memory count and post back.

More information on the motherboard make,  model and revision
would be helpful.

Reported Memory Does Not Match Amount of Installed Memory
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q146/9/12.asp?FR=0

--
Regards,
Bert [MS-MVP DTS]

Remove NS to reply
http://members.home.com/dts-l/

[...]

Post by Rich and Bridget Arnol » Thu, 29 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Bert,
Thanx for the response.
Have had the new memory, 2-32s in by themselves but computer only reports 32
mb.  When the computer does the memory check, that's when I see the 32MB.
In Windows, it also says 32 MB.  I would think I would get some other error
but the computer runs fine.  It just baffles me that it would read half of
the amount that I put in.
I searched up and down the BIOS/CMOS with no luck on the setting that I'm
missing.
The video is non-integrated (PCI card).
The computer is a Quantex P133.  Mobo is Biostar MB-8500TUR.
Thanx,

--
Rich Arnold
http://www.n-link.com/~stpc

> Hi Rich

> Start by only using the new memory chips only.
> If I understand you correctly, you have 2 - 32mb chips?
> Install the chips as per the motherboard manual. Usually
> in the first two banks.
> Check to see if a CMOS setting is disabling some of the RAM.
> If there's an integrated video card it may be using up some of the memory.
> Reboot the system and look at the memory count and post back.

> More information on the motherboard make,  model and revision
> would be helpful.

> Reported Memory Does Not Match Amount of Installed Memory
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q146/9/12.asp?FR=0

> --
> Regards,
> Bert [MS-MVP DTS]

> Remove NS to reply
> http://members.home.com/dts-l/

> Greetings,
> Got me a head scratcher...I want to upgrade my RAM from 32 MB to 80 MB.
> Currently I have in bank 0, two 8 MB EDO SIMMs and in bank 1 two 8 MB FP
> SIMMs for a system total of 32 MB...working fine.
> Purchased two 32 MB EDO SIMMs (60ns) from Circuit City (Centon brand).
> Yet when putting in the 2-32s and the 2-8s (EDO) for a total of 80 MB, the
> computer only sees 48 MB.  Have tried the 32s in bank 0 and 8s in bank 1
and
> switched them.
> Have had only the two 32s in bank 0 and computer only sees 32 MB vice 64
MB.
> (Mobo says for this config, 32s need to be in bank 0).
> This same thing happened with PNY memory from Best Buy.
> The only thing I can think of is that the Mobo requires 70ns speed.
> Any thoughts?  I've search the BIOS for any manual configuration but no
joy.
> Thanx for any suggestions.

> --
> Rich Arnold
> http://www.n-link.com/~stpc
> http://www.callcarolyn.net

OT: Computer finds only 32 MB of RAM with two 32 MB EDO SIMMs

Post by Bert » Thu, 29 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Hi Rich

I don't know what to say! It looks like you are doing everything
correct. I checked the BioStar site to confirm.
http://biostar-usa.com/museum/Motherboards/8500TUR/8500TUR_Manual.htm

You may want to contact BioStar support and ask them.
--
Regards,
Bert [MS-MVP DTS]

Remove NS to reply
http://members.home.com/dts-l/

> [...]

the
> > computer only sees 48 MB.  Have tried the 32s in bank 0 and 8s in bank 1
> and
> > switched them.
> > Have had only the two 32s in bank 0 and computer only sees 32 MB vice 64
> MB.
> > (Mobo says for this config, 32s need to be in bank 0).
> > This same thing happened with PNY memory from Best Buy.
> > The only thing I can think of is that the Mobo requires 70ns speed.
> > Any thoughts?  I've search the BIOS for any manual configuration but no
> joy.
> > Thanx for any suggestions.

> > --
> > Rich Arnold
> > http://www.n-link.com/~stpc
> > http://www.callcarolyn.net

OT: Computer finds only 32 MB of RAM with two 32 MB EDO SIMMs

Post by Ed G » Thu, 29 Jun 2000 04:00:00

I do not mean to insult your inteligence, but are you sure you actually
received 2-32mb edo instead of 2-16mb.  It has been awhile since I've even
looked at EDO memory, I can't remember the visual differences between the
two.  I would go back to the dealer you purchased the RAM (regardless of why
your RAM count is consistently 32megs short--there is a problem--either the
RAM is defective or it is indeed only 16megs a piece.

Ed Garlinghouse
remove nospam to reply by email
please post replies to group

Post by Rich and Bridget Arnol » Fri, 30 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Bert,
Thanx much for your efforts!

--
Rich Arnold
http://www.n-link.com/~stpc

> [...]

1
> > and
> > > switched them.
> > > Have had only the two 32s in bank 0 and computer only sees 32 MB vice
64
> > MB.
> > > (Mobo says for this config, 32s need to be in bank 0).
> > > This same thing happened with PNY memory from Best Buy.
> > > The only thing I can think of is that the Mobo requires 70ns speed.
> > > Any thoughts?  I've search the BIOS for any manual configuration but
no
> > joy.
> > > Thanx for any suggestions.

> > > --
> > > Rich Arnold
> > > http://www.n-link.com/~stpc
> > > http://www.callcarolyn.net

OT: Computer finds only 32 MB of RAM with two 32 MB EDO SIMMs

Post by Rich and Bridget Arnol » Fri, 30 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Ed,
No insult taken...I would agree except the same thing happened to me with
PNY memory purchased from Best Buy.  I took it back to them, they checked it
and found those to be 32 MB sticks.  Odds on it happening again from a
different dealer/brand?
I thinks me just has a * computer that is very finicky about the RAM it
takes.  I guess if I really want that extra 64 MB, I'll have to fork out the
bucks and get either "guaranteed compatible" from Crucial or get it from
Quantex...
Anyway, Thanx much.

--
Rich Arnold