9i DBCA hangs while running on AIX 5L

Post by Rauf Sarw » Tue, 10 Sep 2002 13:47:06

Oracle: 9i 9.2.0.1.0 (Standard Edition)
OS: AIX 5L (5.11)
RAM: 3GB
Swap: 5GB
Disk Space available for datafiles: 95GB
Kernel Parameters: Not required on AIX 5L
Owner: oracle
Groups: oinstall, dba, oper
Install: Brand new server with fresh Oracle install so there are no
other releases on the server.
JDK: 1.3.1
Env: All Oracle env variables set e.g. Oracle_Home, Oracle_Base,
Libpath etc.

I had recently installed Oracle in silent mode (My first 9i install).
Had some errors during installation which all of them related to a
required missing OS performance statistics fileset. I installed the
fileset and successfully relinked all Oracle libraries afterwards. Now
everything runs OK i.e. sqlplus, dbca, netca etc. Listener also starts
up without any errors.

The problem I am running into is that the dbca (Database Config.
Assist) hangs forever at 4% when I try to create a database. Started
the process at 7:00pm and next day at 8:00am... it was still hung. I
also tried just running the scripts but same result. It only creates 1
control file out of 3 and then hangs forever. I switched around some
init.ora parameters but nothing changes. No usefull info in the alert
log either. I have seen few notes on Metalink and here also but most
of them deal with Win2K, linux or Sun. I tried some of the things on
AIX but to no avail. Have pretty much also followed the installation
guide step by step and performed all root and oracle user steps. If
someone else ran into similar situation on AIX, I would like to know
the workaround or Metalink DocID.

Have not run into anything like this before on AIX, Sun, Win2K etc
with 8i or prior releases. So far, I am not too impressed with the
install process of 9i. Maybe that will change after I get over this
hump.

TIA
//Rauf Sarwar

9i DBCA hangs while running on AIX 5L

Post by emeral » Wed, 11 Sep 2002 03:13:10

I had similar problem to yours (bos.stat.libperfstat, if I remember
correctlly. not mentioned in the installation guide...)

I also relinked everything, and then I could start dbca, but could not start
sqlplus. After trying this and that, I was told on metalink to reinstall
server. I did so, and everything worked fine.

Quote:> Oracle: 9i 9.2.0.1.0 (Standard Edition)

Post by Rauf Sarw » Fri, 13 Sep 2002 08:26:09

> Oracle: 9i 9.2.0.1.0 (Standard Edition)
> OS: AIX 5L (5.11)
> RAM: 3GB
> Swap: 5GB
> Disk Space available for datafiles: 95GB
> Kernel Parameters: Not required on AIX 5L
> Owner: oracle
> Groups: oinstall, dba, oper
> Install: Brand new server with fresh Oracle install so there are no
> other releases on the server.
> JDK: 1.3.1
> Env: All Oracle env variables set e.g. Oracle_Home, Oracle_Base,
> Libpath etc.

> I had recently installed Oracle in silent mode (My first 9i install).
> Had some errors during installation which all of them related to a
> required missing OS performance statistics fileset. I installed the
> fileset and successfully relinked all Oracle libraries afterwards. Now
> everything runs OK i.e. sqlplus, dbca, netca etc. Listener also starts
> up without any errors.

> The problem I am running into is that the dbca (Database Config.
> Assist) hangs forever at 4% when I try to create a database. Started
> the process at 7:00pm and next day at 8:00am... it was still hung. I
> also tried just running the scripts but same result. It only creates 1
> control file out of 3 and then hangs forever. I switched around some
> init.ora parameters but nothing changes. No usefull info in the alert
> log either. I have seen few notes on Metalink and here also but most
> of them deal with Win2K, linux or Sun. I tried some of the things on
> AIX but to no avail. Have pretty much also followed the installation
> guide step by step and performed all root and oracle user steps. If
> someone else ran into similar situation on AIX, I would like to know
> the workaround or Metalink DocID.

> Have not run into anything like this before on AIX, Sun, Win2K etc
> with 8i or prior releases. So far, I am not too impressed with the
> install process of 9i. Maybe that will change after I get over this
> hump.

> TIA
> //Rauf Sarwar

I resolved the issue after trying few different things. Here is what I
did if someone else gets stuck in similar situation.

1) Increased the swap space from 5GB to 6GB (2 * Physical memory).
Although this does not seem to be an issue because after creating one
instance, I deactivated the swap segment and was still able to create
another instance.

2) Reapplied/Updated the following OS APAR fixes. IY28111, (IY22854),
IY26778, IY28766, IY28949, IY29965, IY30150. Some but not all of these
APAR's are listed as pre installation steps for AIX 5.1 in install
guide. I would suggest to apply all these APAR's before starting the
installation. This will prevent any hassles afterwards. These can be
downloaded from http://techsupport.services.ibm.com/server/fixes.
Relinked all Oracle libraries afterwards.

3) Changed the AIX Asynchronous I/O (AIO) MINSERVER and MAXSERVER
parameter values from 1 and 10 to 10 and 20. This is listed as one of
the AIX tuning parameters in APPENDIX A of 9i Administrator Reference
guide for AIX.

//Rauf Sarwar

1. and one more: dbca hangs at 50% (Solaris 8 + Oracle 9i)

Hallo NG,

I think to have read any article regarding this well know prob on
google but it obviously didn't help.
Problem: I installed the Oracle9i Server. Everything went smooth till
I got to the point of creating an "General purpose database". At 50%
the wizard hangs. (Yes, I waited for several hours)
I changed settings in /etc/system to the ones specified in the Oracle
Doku. No change. I made further modification and finally I finished
with getting a load of error message boxes. I quick look in
bdump/alert_<SID>.log showed the following lines:
---------------------------------------
Tue May  7 00:01:01 2002
Starting ORACLE instance (normal)
Tue May  7 00:01:03 2002
Errors in file /opt/Oracle/admin/paul/udump/paul_ora_501.trc:
ORA-27146: post/wait initialization failed
ORA-27300: OS system dependent operation:semget failed with status: 28
ORA-27301: OS failure message: No space left on device
ORA-27302: failure occurred at: sskgpcreates
Tue May  7 00:01:03 2002
Errors in file /opt/Oracle/admin/paul/udump/paul_ora_501.trc:
ORA-27302: failure occurred at: skgpwreset1
ORA-27303: additional information: invalid shared ctx
ORA-27146: post/wait initialization failed
ORA-27300: OS system dependent operation:semget failed with status: 28
ORA-27301: OS failure message: No space left on device
ORA-27302: failure occurred at: sskgpcreates
---------------------------------------
I checked the amount of available disk space and memory - no prob, a
plenty was free.

Settings in /etc/system:
---------------------------------------
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=4294967296
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmin=1
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmni=100
set shmsys:shminfo_shmseg=10
set shmsys:shminfo_semmni=400
set shmsys:shminfo_semmsl=100
set shmsys:shminfo_semmns=350
set shmsys:shminfo_semopm=100
set shmsys:shminfo_semvmx=32767
---------------------------------------

Configuration of the machine:
SUN E250
2 CPUs
1 GB mem
4 x 36 GB SW-based RAID
about 1.7 GB swap space
Solaris 8 with latest patches

I would be very very grateful for any advice enabling me to create a
damn db. I have no idea what exactly went wrong or where to beginn
troubleshooting. There are lots of requests of the same kind in the
archive but unfortunately I couldn't find any note stating: change
this to build up your db.
Or is Oracle just charging provision from all the therapists out there
...?

If you can point me to a page showing how to calculate what values to
fix this prob I would be very grateful.

TIA

Frank

2. Result Set from a store Proc

3. Oracle 9i / Solaris 7: dbca hangs at 50%

4. Indexing

5. dbca on Oracle 9i under redhat linux hangs

6. connecting to remote SQL Server Database

7. make check hang on AIX 5L p690 4way/I have two solutions

8. SET CENTURY ROLLOVER in CONFIG.FPW

9. 9.30 on AIX-5L, AIX-4.3.3

10. Running management configuration assistant hangs on w2k/9i

11. dbca stalls at 50% on 9i

12. 9i dbca