NT vs SCO - Oracle vs SQLServer

Post by Keith Tear » Wed, 09 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Help!

The subject says it all. Big decision to make real soon. Performance and
scalability are the issues. Cost is secondary. Management is not an issue
as we have prototypes in both. We are talking 40 million records with about
40 million reads per day and 100,000 writes.

--
Best Regards

Keith Teare
President/CEO
Go Inc.
Tel: +1-415-328-8885
Fax: +1-415-328-8886
Cell: +1-415-370-9676

NT vs SCO - Oracle vs SQLServer

Post by Jared Heck » Thu, 10 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Keith -

I think you will find Oracle scales much better than SQL Server, and the
enhancements to 7.3 are oriented towards DSS / data mart applications
(star query hints, for example).  I say this as both an Oracle and a
Sybase DBA, with some MS SQL Server 6.5 experience thrown in.

Neither of your choices of operating systems offers particularly good I/O,
which will obviously impact your DSS/ROLAP application.  For the cost of a
PC server you might investigate a low-end Sparc or Alpha or HP, which will
offer superior I/O and a more efficient operating system.  DEC and HP also
run NT, btw.

If you are absolutely constrained by running on a PC I would go with
Oracle on NT; here on the east coast many believe SCO is in a death spiral
outside of its ever-shrinking VAR network.  You should engage an
experienced DBA to lay out the tablespaces properly.  Engage him _before_
you buy the box so it can be configured properly.

BTW, how big will this 40M-row database be?

hth -

Regards,
jh

: Help!

: The subject says it all. Big decision to make real soon. Performance and
: scalability are the issues. Cost is secondary. Management is not an issue
: as we have prototypes in both. We are talking 40 million records with about
: 40 million reads per day and 100,000 writes.

: --
: Best Regards

: Keith Teare
: President/CEO
: Go Inc.
: Tel: +1-415-328-8885
: Fax: +1-415-328-8886
: Cell: +1-415-370-9676

--
Jared Hecker - CODBA      |  ** HWA, Inc. **   Oracle and Sybase

NT vs SCO - Oracle vs SQLServer

Post by Len Wicken » Sun, 13 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Is there a reason that you are stick with intel platforms?

Based on our experience (running 35 Oracle databases on 23 unix servers and
5 nt servers) your best performance and scalibitly would be a sun server
w/Oracle.

If you have to stay with intel a HP server running Oracle w/NT make sure
the server can add multi processors

--
Len Wickens
Chief Systems Designer

web site
http://plaza.v-wave.com/oopscorp

>Help!

>The subject says it all. Big decision to make real soon. Performance and
>scalability are the issues. Cost is secondary. Management is not an issue
>as we have prototypes in both. We are talking 40 million records with
about
>40 million reads per day and 100,000 writes.

>--
>Best Regards

>Keith Teare
>President/CEO
>Go Inc.
>Tel: +1-415-328-8885
>Fax: +1-415-328-8886
>Cell: +1-415-370-9676

1. NT vs Linux vs SCO

:>I am considering changing our Pick database from AT&T Unix to
:>another platform.
:>Does anybody have information on how NT performs compared to Linux ?
:>NT is supposed to be a resource monster, but is this true when
:>running 100 users on a Pick database ?

100 simultaneous users exercising the db under NT would be horrible,
more or less depending on particularities of the applications.

: If some of your goals are to have a fileserver that can be used by your users
: (and they like using the win95/NT expolorer) to save their word documents and
: send each other email and attach graphics etc to the emails, then the
: resources required to run NT are not wasted.

A Unix or Linux fileserver would of course serve w95 or NT or Mac
or NCs...

: If on the other hand, your' looking for a "kick arse" pick box that runs
: wyse50 terminal sessions and you what to be able to print 3,000 invoices a
: second, and your users don't know what a mouse is, then a unix based solution
: would be more suitable. If this is the case, I would question using Linux
: (as much as I like it and use it myself, you are really left to support yourself)
: I would suggest you look at SCO or some other commercial product where you
: can call a 1800 number when you have problem and get some help from someone
: who supports these systems for a living, not as a hobby.

: Commercial support is also a reason you might choose NT over unix.

Caldera, owned by former Novell CEO Ray Noorda, offers a commercial
Linux with excellent support and many value additions proprietary to
Caldera.

But don't rule out SCO Openserver at all... check it out as well as
Caldera's Linux. SCO has a lower cost of ownership than NT during
the lifecycle.

Max Southall
PRN Infosystems

2. printing memo fields in dbase4 v1.1

3. Oracle 7 vs 8 and Oracle Unix vs Win/NT

4. Data repair compression

5. DB2 vs SQLServer vs Oracle

6. SQL Server Upgrade Wizard Fails During Import/Export

7. oracle for NT vs MS SQLserver 6.5

8. Comp. Layer Problem -- Any Fix?

9. Oracle 7 vs 8, Unix vs NT

10. Oracle vs NT vs ...

11. Sql Server vs Oracle vs Ibm vs....

12. PostgreSQL vs Oracle vs DB2 vs MySQL - Which

13. PostgreSQL vs Oracle vs DB2 vs MySQL - Which should