Newbie: How to access SQL for the first time?

Newbie: How to access SQL for the first time?

Post by Jona » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I'm a student and for school we had to install developer 2000 witch includes
SQL plus 3.2.2.0.1.C

First I have to make some tables to work with. But when I start SQL plus,
the program asks for a username and password.
In Personal Oracle7 with SQL plus 3.2.2.0.1 I had to give <system>  with
password <manager>.
This doesn't work anymore. What do I have to type now?

Thanks in advance
Jona

Newbie: How to access SQL for the first time?

Post by Bob Fazi » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

You need a database to access.  If you just installed developer, then there
is not database.  The fact that you have sqlplus doesn't help.  You need to
get 8i lite or something.

--
Robert Fazio, Oracle DBA

remove nospam from reply address
http://24.8.218.197/

> I'm a student and for school we had to install developer 2000 witch
includes
> SQL plus 3.2.2.0.1.C

> First I have to make some tables to work with. But when I start SQL plus,
> the program asks for a username and password.
> In Personal Oracle7 with SQL plus 3.2.2.0.1 I had to give <system>  with
> password <manager>.
> This doesn't work anymore. What do I have to type now?

> Thanks in advance
> Jona

1. Timeout first time accessing SQL 7 database

I'm trying to execute a stored procedure in an MS-SQL7 database
from an ASP page. The first time I try to run it, I get...

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error '80040e31'

Timeout expired

..after about 50 seconds.

If I try again, the stored procedure runs perfectly, and returns
results in a few seconds. As long as I don't let 15 minutes go
by without going to the database, I can keep getting result sets
back. If I do let 15 minutes or more go by, I have to go through
the timeout again before I can run the stored procedure
successfully.

The stored procedure is using OPENROWSET to perform distributed,
ad-hoc queries against two SQL 6.5 databases. The provider
strings for both 6.5 databases include the clause: Writeback
Timeout=1000.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Dave Moeller

Any opinions expressed in this message are mine alone, and are
not those of my employer or clients.

2. Using Link Server with an ODBC Source with OLE Db Provider

3. First time SQL access is slower than usual

4. Date compare error...

5. NEWBIE - works first time but not 2nd or 3rd

6. Oracle Pro*C with Interix (OpenNT)?

7. Newbie: Trying to close DE connection, works first time only...ugggghhhhhh

8. Index Problem

9. MS Access ODBC without giving IUD/UPW every first time

10. First time synch from access.

11. long time last for first ADO access

12. First Time on Newsgroups a second time around!

13. How to select first record from a grouping - equivalent to First() in Access