Preventing table update when linking oracle database table to access via ODBC

Preventing table update when linking oracle database table to access via ODBC

Post by Mick Cook » Sat, 06 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I have an oracle database from which users can create ad-hoc queries and
reports in MS Access via ODBC (V3 I believe) I now realise that they can
also update records in the linked tables which as you can imagine is not a
good idea.

Is there any way (software tools) that I can allow users to create queries
and reports without the possibility of changing the data in the oracle
database.

Any suggestions gratefully received
Thanks in advance

Mick C
Oracle DBA (beginner)

Post by Luke Davi » Sun, 07 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> I have an oracle database from which users can create ad-hoc queries and
> reports in MS Access via ODBC (V3 I believe) I now realise that they can
> also update records in the linked tables which as you can imagine is
> not a
> good idea.

> Is there any way (software tools) that I can allow users to create
> queries
> and reports without the possibility of changing the data in the oracle
> database.

> Any suggestions gratefully received
> Thanks in advance

> Mick C
> Oracle DBA (beginner)

How about allowing select only access to another Oracle User and having
Access select the records through the read_only User?

Luke

Preventing table update when linking oracle database table to access via ODBC

Post by Davi » Sun, 07 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Surely all you need to do is revoke insert / update privs from these users,
unless they own the tables.

Regards
David Russell

>I have an oracle database from which users can create ad-hoc queries and
>reports in MS Access via ODBC (V3 I believe) I now realise that they can
>also update records in the linked tables which as you can imagine is not a
>good idea.

>Is there any way (software tools) that I can allow users to create queries
>and reports without the possibility of changing the data in the oracle
>database.

>Any suggestions gratefully received
>Thanks in advance

>Mick C
>Oracle DBA (beginner)

Preventing table update when linking oracle database table to access via ODBC

Post by Jonathan Genni » Mon, 08 Jun 1998 04:00:00

On 5 Jun 1998 22:05:10 GMT, "Mick Cooke"

>Is there any way (software tools) that I can allow users to create queries
>and reports without the possibility of changing the data in the oracle
>database.

My first suggestion would be to create a role that gives
only SELECT access to the data, grant that role to the
users, and then revoke any other privileges they may
currently have on the tables in question. This will work,
provided that they don't need to use the same user-id with
an application that DOES allow them to update the data. Do
they need to do that?

Jonathan

1. Linking to Access table via BDE via ODBC

I am trying to utilize the Borland Database Engine (BDE) to directly

attach a Microsoft Access table.  I figure if I can do it through the

Database Desktop, it's easy to put get the BDE itself to do it.

I don't want any popups or other interaction in specifying this table.  I

want the database specified and the table within it specified, as if I

was trying to connect to a standard BDE driver table like Paradox.

Thanks!
Nathan

2. Update multiple records at once.

3. Updating SQL linked table via Access

4. ADO and DBF!!!

5. Einr. einer deutschen VB-Newsgroup

6. Returning values to VB from SQL Server Thro ADO ??

7. Updating SQL linked table via Access.

8. Access Linked Tables via ODBC Performance??

9. Insert JPG in SQL via ODBC linked table in Access fails

10. Accessing Linked Oracle Tables in Access Using ODBC in VB

11. access update query fail on ODBC linked table to sql7