cost of Oracle 8 license for Linux Web server usage

cost of Oracle 8 license for Linux Web server usage

Post by Dennis G. Allar » Wed, 04 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I couldn't find an exact price quote on the Oracle Web site.

Could someone clue me in as to what Oracle charges for the following
kinds of licenses:

Oracle 8 running on a single Linux box with one CPU serving as many
connections as it can handle (where the clients are either remote or
local to the Linux box).

Oracle 8 running on a single Linux box with one CPU restricted to N
connections, for N = whatever.

(I am happy to know pricing for 'just' Oracle 8 -- I don't need any
extra Oracle-provided E-commerce stuff or distributed transaction
support -- just the vanilla RDBMS accepting plain old connections.  But
if anyone can, in addition, clue me in as to other Oracle 8 product
pricing, that might be useful for others on this newsgroup -- Oracle 8i,
for example).

Thanks,
Dennis

--
Dennis G. Allard                               telephone: 1.310.399.4740
Ocean Park Software                                 http://oceanpark.com

cost of Oracle 8 license for Linux Web server usage

Post by Dennis G. Allar » Wed, 04 Aug 1999 04:00:00

BTW, I am unsure what are all the differences between Oracle 8 and
Oracle 8i and the 'personal editions' of either of the above.  A quick
summary of the differences would, I am sure, be most appreciated by
many.

Again, thanks.

--
Dennis G. Allard                               telephone: 1.310.399.4740
Ocean Park Software                                 http://oceanpark.com

cost of Oracle 8 license for Linux Web server usage

Post by kev » Thu, 05 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I've just been quoted nearly 9000 UK pounds by Oracle for a 2-year license,
for Oracle 8i used on a web site, running on a dual processor machine.
Daylight robbery, in my opinion. The reason for the high cost is that
Oracle make you buy an 'Unlimited Users' license, as they consider everyone
who looks at you site to be a user.
I don't know the difference between Oracle8 and Oracle8i, but apparently
they're the same price.

- Kev

> I couldn't find an exact price quote on the Oracle Web site.

> Could someone clue me in as to what Oracle charges for the following
> kinds of licenses:

> Oracle 8 running on a single Linux box with one CPU serving as many
> connections as it can handle (where the clients are either remote or
> local to the Linux box).

> Oracle 8 running on a single Linux box with one CPU restricted to N
> connections, for N = whatever.

> (I am happy to know pricing for 'just' Oracle 8 -- I don't need any
> extra Oracle-provided E-commerce stuff or distributed transaction
> support -- just the vanilla RDBMS accepting plain old connections.  But
> if anyone can, in addition, clue me in as to other Oracle 8 product
> pricing, that might be useful for others on this newsgroup -- Oracle 8i,
> for example).

> Thanks,
> Dennis

> --
> Dennis G. Allard                               telephone: 1.310.399.4740
> Ocean Park Software                                http://oceanpark.com

Kevin Porter
Web Programmer
FAST Web Media
Suite 320, Sunlight House, Quay St, Manchester
England, M3 3JZ

Phone:  44 (0) 161 835 3525

Home Page:              http://www.fast.no
All The Web:            http://www.alltheweb.com
FAST FTP Search:        http://ftpsearch.lycos.com
FAST MP3:               http://mp3.lycos.com
FAST Soccer:            http://www.fa-premier.com
FAST Entertainment:     http://www.innit.com

1. Oracle-Web Licensing costs

Hello all,

After three hours on the phone with Oracle, I still have no clue how much
I'll have to pay to offer Oracle support through our ISP.

Microsoft has their Internet Connector license for $2,800.

Oracle tells me that I need to pay a license fee for each 'user', though
even they can not describe what truly constitues a 'user'.

All we want to do is have myabe five seats internally for maintenance and
admin - no app development, etc, and then let our web hosting clients run
their databases through ODBC... seems simple enough to me.

Does anyone have any info on this?

Thanks in advance for any help - I am completely lost :-)

2. What value AS startup object.Total Num. of Dim shows.?

3. WorkGroups Server - Website - Licensing - Costs ???

4. NACLP'90 Workshop on Deductive Databases (please post)

5. Oracle Database Licensing Cost

6. Crashes

7. Beware Oracle's new license structure COST $$$$$

8. how to find pages used by indexes?

9. Licensing costs for application that uses Oracle 8i

10. SQL Server 2000 license overriding SQL Server 7.0 license on separate server

11. web enabling my oracle database on linux server

12. Oracle WEB Server + Linux

13. Oracle Web Application Server on LINUX