ORA-12154: Error while trying to retrieve text for error ORA-12154

ORA-12154: Error while trying to retrieve text for error ORA-12154

Post by Sharron D. Alle » Fri, 01 Feb 2002 01:20:25

 Hello All, I keep receiving these error messages when I try to connect
 to a network server using MS Access (DSN):

 Error while trying to retrieve text for error ORA-12154
 Error while trying to retrieve text for error ORA-12538

 I know my tnsnames.ora file is correct. I am using the Microsoft
 Oracle ODBC driver. I can ping the server,.other applications (Vision
 ClearAccess and other company related programs) can access the
 database but MS Access. SQL+ can access the server too. Help !

 Thanks in Advance
 Sharron D Allen

1. ora-12203 and ora-12154

personal oracle 7.3.3 running on Windows NT 4

I've installed it ok and networking appears to be working ok but.....

I've used SQL*Net Easy Configuration to create a Database Alias on the
server that oracle sits on with a view to testing sql*net prior to using
my network
I've called the alias PO7
when I try to connect to PO7 under sql*plus 3.3 I give it the
name/password and enter PO7 in the host string field but I get error
ora-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name
Funny but if I enter PO7.world (an entry in tnsnames.ora) I get no error
messages and get a sqlplus prompt but the first line that's printed to
screen states
Connect to:
then info about release of oracle, etc
should there be an entry after Connect to:?

I've been through the usual 'problem tracing' steps as suggested in the
'html' documentation, relative to this error number but to no avail

I also tested the tcp-loopback alias and got message

ora-12203: TNS: unable to connect to destination

I'm using a hosts file on the server.  DNS is not configured.  What's
this about a oracle name server?  Do I need any other name servers on
this 2 node network?

Any help you guys/gals can give would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

2. Comments field

3. Connection problem: ORA-12203 and ORA-12154

4. Local Server problem...

5. PLEASE HELP!!! Error ORA-12154

6. Update ODBC from MDAC 2.5

7. ORACLE8i+APACHE+PHP error ORA-12154

8. TQuery or TTable

9. ORA-12154 errors on Win2K system with 8.1.7 driver

10. ORA-12154 errors.

11. ora-12154 error on NAS

12. ERROR: ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name

13. ora-12154 error via NAS