Lost in space/space lost, a space management problem

Lost in space/space lost, a space management problem

Post by sybra.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi,

I have the following situation (Oracle 7.3.4 on Solaris)
An index has been created with an initial extent of 56k, and a next
extent of 80k, the total size of the index is 30 Oracle blocks (240k),
in 3 extents.

According to our repository the initial extent should have been 50k and
the next extent 50k.
I can see the initial extent has been rounded to a multiple of 8k, the
current block size. I more or less can imagine the minimum next extent
is 10 Oracle blocks, so 80k, although it means Oracle ignores the
storage parameters.
Yet that still doesnt account for 3 Oracle blocks. Perhaps the index
header is one of them, then I still have a situation where the final
storage parameter do not match in any way what has been specified at
creation of the index.
Whats happening?

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

All standard disclaimers apply