Installing 8i Enterprise edition over 8i Standard edition

Installing 8i Enterprise edition over 8i Standard edition

Post by MAbbou.. » Sat, 27 Jan 2001 23:57:08

We install Oracle 8i standard edition and now we have the Enterprise
edition, can we just upgrade without a problem or we have to un-install then
install?

Thanks
Mo

--
Posted from nat05.IITRI.ORG [205.167.170.5]

1. Oracle 8i Standard Edition vs Enterprise Edition for Linux

Hi,

I am in the process of choosing a back-end database server platform for a
new application service.
My platform is Red Hat Linux/Apache and all the application will be written
in 90% Perl (mod_perl based) and 10% ANSI C. The application will maintain
persistent connection to the back-end database and also includes batch
processing for purchase history analysis.

After looking at the pricing and other information at Oracle web site, I
came to the following conclusion:

Solution #1: Using multiple (2+) standard edition Oracle 8i on Linux
I will load balance clients between 2 or more Oracle 8i standard edition
servers to maintain a high degree of performance.

Solution #2: Using (1-2) enterprise edition Oracle 8i on Linux
I will load balance clients between 1-2 Oracle 8i enterprise edition servers
to maintain a high degree of performance.

Obviously, the 2nd solution is VERY EXPENSIVE.

What I would like to find out is the following:

Am I better of with solution #1 where the Oracle pricing allows me to add
more standard edition database servers as my need grows with more and more
clients. Any thoughts/pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Also, I am interested in hearing about Oracle experts who are using it in
Linux platform for large scale OLTP.

A reply post or direct e-mail will be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Kabir
http://www.nitec.com

2. SQL 7 User Defined Functions

3. Oracle 8i Standard vs. Oracle 8i Enterprise edition

4. One HUGE Query - any optimizers?

5. Urgent!!- Problem installing SQL 2000 Enterprise Edition or Standard Edition

6. "IS NOT NULL" != "NOT NULL"

7. Upgrade from 8i Standard Edition to Enterprise Causes problems

8. Resume: Building multiuser database apps

9. different between oracle 8i standard vs enterprise edition

10. Downgrade 8i Enterprise to Standard Edition?

11. Oracle 8i Standard and Enterprise Edition

12. peformance metrics for 8i standard vs enterprise editions

13. Problems with installing Oracle 8i Enterprise Edition